1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The Man Named Brix

Discussion in 'Queens Park Rangers' started by BrixtonR, May 16, 2013.

1. stevejack

stevejack Active Member

Condolences to his loved ones.
    He sounds like he really had a positive influence on here and that was even more of a presence in the flesh!
    RIP

2. Hoops Eternal

Hoops Eternal Well-Known Member

I read the post in a state of complete & utter shock.

Brix was everything an R should be, loyal, devoted and not afraid to put his point across when he thought things weren't going well at the club. Likewise as a mod, not afraid to step in when things started to get out of hand. His posts were always intelligent, well balanced and often witty.

I for one will miss him both on here and on match days.

My sincerest condolences go out to his family and friends.

RIP Brix, you were one of a kind.

3. petesupahoops

petesupahoops Member

Dreadful news. RIP Brix.

4. Busy Being Headhunted

Busy Being Headhunted Well-Known Member

cannot think of anything to say at the minute

5. superHusky1

superHusky1 Active Member

Incredibly sad news. He was clearly a lovely guy and I really appreciated the time he took to personal message me on occasion. Condolences to you and the rest of the Brixton family.

6. Rollercoaster Ranger

Rollercoaster Ranger Well-Known Member

I’m still struggling to come to terms with the terrible news brought to us earlier today by Deon, BrixtonR’s son. David was far more than a moderator of this forum, he was an intrinsic part of its fabric. While it was Northolt who got many of us to abandon the dying BBC 606 forum, it was David who really shaped this one. Not by posting 100 times a day, not by linking to every QPR related article on the forum and not by attempting to ram his opinions down everyone’s throat, but by setting the right moral level for a football forum, maintaining it with his renowned “light touch” and tempering the excesses of those who tried to push the boundaries.

My first proper conversations with David were over the “Green and White” protest we instigated against the Goons with the petition to get Amit Bhatia reinstated as deputy chairman. Obviously it fell on stony ground, but almost 650 QPR supporters signed it, more importantly our friendship was born. At that point we started to go to matches together (I had to buy the tickets, David was no good with technology). Before our first match, Bolton at home last season, David sent me a picture of him so I could recognise him. When I returned the favour I got an instant email back saying “I should have known, the difference between the hardships of Brixton and the luxury of Leafy Surrey!”. Anyone who has met us both will understand his comment! That didn’t actually help me spot him as he had hair in the picture he sent me, but we struck it off straight away.

For the last match home that season I had arranged to meet Nines and Norway in the Coningham as I wanted to talk to Norway about his travels for an article I was trying to write. David was a little reluctant to come along as he didn’t regard himself as the sociable sort, but I persuaded him to turn up. I didn’t mention him to either and just waited for him to show or not. After I had dragged him in off the street an introduced him as my match day buddy in case he wanted to remain incognito, he looked at Nines and declared “You’re Nines aren’t you? I can tell by your smiling eyes, they are obvious in your posts”. Nines, sharp as a needle, said “Do you post on the forum then?”, David said “Yes, I’m BrixtonR”. The look on both Nines’ and Norways’ faces was priceless. From that point on you couldn’t keep him away from Not606 meet ups. He loved the opportunity to talk QPR with fellow supporters.

The only strain we ever had in our relationship was when there was an outbreak of racism in the forum. I was unimpressed by his lack of action and stopped posting. He gently explained over a series of emails his reasons and then left me to stew. His approach had been to give the main perpetrators enough rope to hang themselves so that there would be no calls for softer sentences and he was clearly right. His worldly wise pragmatism far more appropriate than my childlike idealism. He knew that one day I’d be back. We still managed to go to football during that time, which was when I first had the pleasure to meet his family. He had proudly talked about them at previous matches and it was obvious why. As ever I was late into the ground, but still had enough time to enjoy their company.

Only last Sunday a group of us meet up at the Crown and Sceptre before the Newcastle match. David seemed on fine form. He got the kick off time wrong, tried to walk under a car and almost collided with a Police horse, all pretty standard from my experience of being with him. I still can’t believe that we won’t have the chance to take that walk again.

In many ways I feel I owe him more than anyone else on this forum does. I used to complain that posters seemed happier with one line posts than a couple of paragraphs; he told me to change that. He was the one who encouraged me to write longer pieces and gave me the confidence to do so. He was the one who persuaded me that my views were as valid as anyone else’s and that I did have the ability to express them. He is the one who convinced me that I could write. He once described himself as a nurturer, someone who can help other grow and develop; I think I’m living proof of that.

I will always treasure the last few pms we exchanged during the last modding crisis. He was worried that he had got stale and people were fed up listening to him. I think I manage to persuade him that actually he was fed up telling them, and he needed a break. I hope I managed to repay some of the kindness he had always shown to me.

If it is OK with Superdoopahoopsa I’d like to take back the prediction competition next season and run it as the BrixtonR Memorial Prediction League as my tribute to his memory. He won it at a canter in the season I instigated it, but had he good grace not to try to win last season.

I would like to repeat my sincerest condolences to his family and friends, especially Patty and Deon, you are foremost in my thoughts. God I’m going to miss you mate.

7. finglasqpr

finglasqpr Well-Known Member

Great tribute Roller.

Well done.

8. Albert's Chip Shop

Albert's Chip Shop Top Grafter
    Forum Moderator

So sorry to hear the news.
    RIP.

9. Busy Being Headhunted

Busy Being Headhunted Well-Known Member

good idea roller ( BrixtonR Memorial Prediction ) sounds good to me

10. swanseaandproud

swanseaandproud Well-Known Member

sad news...RIP Brix

11. N22hoop

N22hoop Well-Known Member

What a shame! Along with Northolt, Brix was the best thing about this forum. RIP

12. NorwayRanger

NorwayRanger Well-Known Member

Great tribute Roller, thank you. You are excellent with words mate and I think Brix would love the mentor effect he's had on your writing.

What a good idea it is to name the prediction league in honour of Brix, great shout.

13. swimaway

swimaway Well-Known Member

A sad day which puts football into context. My thoughts are with his loved ones.

He joins the QPR legends of yesteryear in heaven.

RIP from a Jack

14. SussexR

SussexR Well-Known Member

Very touching Roller. I feel very priviliged to have met Brixton and you all at the Crown and Sceptre last Sunday.
    I've got no words left to express my sadness.

15. Staines R's

Staines R's Well-Known Member

Such a fitting tribute Roller, and I can see so many traits of the man in your writing.
    He said the same to me about meeting up, that he wasn't sociable, but he was far from that and a lovely bloke to share time with.
    He mentored me many times, in PM's, to get me to calm down and not be so errr....confrontational. Sorry Dave, you can't win 'em all but I am trying. :)

16. Sooperhoop

Sooperhoop Well-Known Member

I have to say I have just read through this whole thread in total disbelief, it seems somewhat surreal but, obviously, is not. Like many others, I hadn't been fortunate enough to have met David but his measured posts made you feel as though he'd always been there. I'm really too stunned to even know how to imagine how, in particular, his family must feel right now. My deepest sympathy to all...

17. Minxy

Minxy Just Me
    Staff Member

Condolences to family & friends from a Posh fan xx

18. glamexile

glamexile Well-Known Member

Such tragic news. A number pf other Swans supporters have already posted their condolences and I am sure that all Swansea fans will join me in offering our deepest condolences to his family and friends.

RIP David <rose>

19. Peruvian Hoopster

Peruvian Hoopster Active Member

Deepest sympathies from this small corner of Peru. I was looking forward to meeting Brix in person one day. My run on Sunday takes on new poignantcy, my thoughts and prayers for the loved ones of those he's left behind will be at the forefront of my heart and mind

20. daverangers

daverangers Well-Known Member

Sad news indeed. Condolences to the family. His contributions of here will be greatly missed.