1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Reasons for changing the name

Discussion in 'Hull City' started by DMD, Sep 22, 2013.

1. PattyNchips2

PattyNchips2 Well-Known Member

it is personal preference, no one can say for business reasons cos in truth they don't know.
    I think we should see what it does bring.. the emotive argument is mainly by old people anyway, they don't like change anyhow, I think they just like to feel safe.
    Fortunately they will be dying off soon.

2. Fez

Fez Well-Known Member

This has to be the most pointless and loaded thread I have seen on here. One poster is dictating what should be said, then judging them by his own biased viewpoint and ignoring anything that challenges his own stance.

Do we wish to keep the current owners who own and fund the club? If so, he has made it very clear that name-change is an essential part of that. So, depending on your viewpoint, continued ownership and security is an absolute benefit of name-change.

What is this study that has been commissioned and what bearing can it possibly have on your argument if it is incomplete? I asked earlier, somewhere; what other campaigns have there been that are similar to our own (identity changes of PL football clubs)? Come on, follow your own advice and state your case clearly, as it is you that has introduced it to this very prescribed and foolish thread.

3. merchantman5

merchantman5 Well-Known Member

It has already been stated on other namechange posts that the only way that Hull City is going to market replica kits etc anywhere else but in the local area is by performance on the pitch and I am afraid if Mr Allam thinks anything else but that is going to increase our marketing potential I am afraid I would have to question his business sense.

4. Barchullona

Barchullona Well-Known Member

There are stupid people, there are very stupid people, extremely stupid people, then there are people like patty(sic)n chips.

Why not drop Hull in favour of Kingston, which is actually the name of the city and and the river it is on? Seeing as it represents the whole city and unites them, let's call them United. The most successful English clubs have worn red, so that's the colour sorted out. So, there we have it, we will be Kingston United playing in red and white. Job's a good un and success is nailed on.

You can forgive Craig some of his half-baked thoughts on this as he is a callow youth with no experience of life and still as time to learn. But what is your excuse?

5. Barchullona

Barchullona Well-Known Member

Which other PL clubs have proposed changing their names? I can't think of any and unless you can your question is rather stupid as there won't be any campaigns to compare to.

If name changing is a good idea doesn't everyone think it would have been happening regularly?

6. Craigo

Craigo Well-Known Member

<laugh> <laugh> <laugh> I'm fifty next month!!
    BTW Kingston Utd Mmm nice.

7. originallambrettaman

originallambrettaman Mod Moderator
    Staff Member

Only if you make the assumption that not changing the name would lead to the owner leaving.

8. originallambrettaman

Staff Member

To be fair, you do come across as being much younger.

9. merchantman5

And he could answer with the same reply as you. One of Allams reasons for the change is because the name is shorter, he has therefore shown in a recent interview that it is a load of bollocks by saying if he owned Manchester City he would rename Manchester Hunter which is two letters longer. It therefore proves that the only justification for the namechange is because Allam has spit his dummy out with Hull Council, there is therefore no justification for the name change what so ever.

10. Craigo

Craigo Well-Known Member

I'm glad if that's the case. Too many people of my generation have closed minds and are scared of anything new.

11. merchantman5

No what you offered was guesses because you haven't a crystal ball. I have been to loads of places on this planet through work and I can tell you this as a FACT, you only see Man Utd, Arsenel,Chelsea and Liverpool shirts in large numbers, with Man City shirts starting to make more appearences. The rest of the PL teams shirts are as rare as Rocking Horse ****

12. PattyNchips2

but all anyone can offer is guesses.. UNLESS we win the PL title more times than Man U have - we wont sell nearly enough shirts in the worlds markets

13. PattyNchips2

the truth is that people only buy shirts of a successful team and those fans don't care whether we are called Hull City AC or even Hull Tigers.

14. PattyNchips2

.. what if that does?

15. originallambrettaman

Staff Member

And some were too dim to realise what was going on.

16. PattyNchips2

and then there are sheep.

17. merchantman5

Which just goes to show what a load of bollocks the name change is and the reasoning behind it

18. Obadiah

Obadiah Well-Known Member

Neither Hull nor City is our nickname because they are part of our official name. Both are used by our supporters. One more often then the other. If Tigers becomes part of our official name it ceases to be a nickname. Spurs is a nickname because it is an abbreviation of Hotspur. Simple really. So, the club either doesn't have a nickname or we establish a new one.

The last protest is in the past. There are a number of reasons for the attendance. I'm sure the campaign will look at the reasons why the march didn't attract the numbers expected and at ways of including those people who don't want to march or miss the first 5 minutes of the match.

That water has flowed under the bridge.

19. PattyNchips2

before this descends any further into mud slinging - I was asked to offer evidence as to why a name change was such a good thing.
    Unfortunately there is little evidence that I can offer - our shirt sales may improve, our merchandise sales may improve our worldwide appeal may improve.
    In short, I offer the same evidence that you can offer to argue your case... except you can state emotional reasons as to why it shouldn't change..
    like I said, I'm into the "suck it and see" camp

20. PattyNchips2

I am stupid for having a personal opinion that isn't the same as yours?
    I bet you get funny looks goosestepping around your neighbourhood.