1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Reasons for changing the name

Discussion in 'Hull City' started by DMD, Sep 22, 2013.

1. DMD

DMD Eh?
    Forum Moderator

I agree.

2. DMD

DMD Eh?
    Forum Moderator

Answered on other threads. I started this one so to discuss the potential benefits without it just disappearing down the same blind alleys the others have.

3. Craigo

Craigo Well-Known Member

For me Hull City Tigers is no more than a preference. I don't know if the name change will ever assist the club financially, those things are best left to the experts, but Hull City Tigers definitely has more teeth than Hull City AFC.

4. PattyNchips2

PattyNchips2 Well-Known Member

this is a good time to change the name, before we get established as a PL team.

5. PattyNchips2

Im with you man

6. DMD

DMD Eh?
    Forum Moderator

The chairman didn't wait for the 'experts' before running with Hull Tigers. (Hull City Tigers is simply not an option according to the Chairman)

7. Craigo

Craigo Well-Known Member

From where I'm sitting we have a lot of loud voices on the opposition side, but no physical evidence of great numbers. The protest at the ground for instance wasn't well attended even though it was well publicised - Why?

I didn't answer your question on the nickname because I thought the answer was obvious - Our nickname will always be the Tigers. The fact that it could also be part of our name is irrelevant.

8. PattyNchips2

when the name change was announced -people were in up roar about the dropping of AFC... you can tell by the number of threads
    people have gotten used to Hull City Tigers, I don't think it will be too long before people calm down and start liking Hull Tigers too

9. Craigo

Craigo Well-Known Member

May I refer you to post#22

10. DMD

DMD Eh?
    Forum Moderator

I expected something from those making negative comments about the protests.

Surely somebody out there can offer a positive benefit of the change?

I know of some long standing fans who WILL stop going if the name change goes ahead. I guess some could see that as a potential benefit?

11. DMD

DMD Eh?
    Forum Moderator

So you're gambling. What evidence are you backing your opinion with? Ever had business dealings with him?

12. Kempton

Kempton Well-Known Member

I can't factually prove that there is no such thing as ghosts,but there isn't.

13. Tubby AKA Ableton (Mwah)

Yet again... you are confusing the issue of those who are against the campaign with those who are against the name change.

Those who support the name change are in the minority (I'd guess less than 5%). Those who oppose the name change are the next minority (I'd guess 20%) Those who will not oppose the name change (which I repeat is different to supporting the name change) is around the 75% mark.

So I repeat... the 75% who will not oppose the name change do not have to justify it because they don't support it.

That does not mean however they will be forced into submission by those who oppose the name change.

14. Craigo

Craigo Well-Known Member

No and I imagine you haven't either.

The point is he's gambling. A businessman won't sit back and watch sales figures plummet even if he is stubborn, but the protesters aren't using this most effective weapon effectively.
    You're disorganised and that makes you of little threat to his plans.

15. PattyNchips2

I have skipped a lot of threads on this is cos most on this topic is filled with emotive bullshit.
    I am not sure people can offer that just in the same vein as those that want it to remain the same, can offer any reason for that too.

the long standing fans that will stop going cant be REAL fans then, because if they stop going cos of a name change are just as fickle as those that only support us through the successful times.

The club will still exist, I will always support them, no matter what happens to them.

16. DMD

DMD Eh?
    Forum Moderator

In argument, especially logical argument, the onus is ALWAYS on those making the positive assertion to prove their case. It forms the basis of our legal tradition, where the Crown has to prove guilt, or in theological debates where religious people have to prove God, not vice versa.

In this argument, the assertion being challenged is that the change WILL benefit the Club. I'm not saying it won't, I'm saying I want to see peoples argument as to how it will benefit us.

17. PattyNchips2

OK as long as you say that there isnt.
    <laugh>

18. DMD

DMD Eh?
    Forum Moderator

Erm, the loyal fans would leave at the most succesful point in the Clubs history. They'd leave because they support Hull City AFC which would cease to exist.

You've said you can't offer any benefit to the name change. That's all I asked for an answer to.

19. DMD

DMD Eh?
    Forum Moderator

You imagine wrong.

The question is, what benefit will the name change bring. You say yourself you can't think of any.

20. Fez

Fez Well-Known Member

Obadiah - I think the reason we have a nickname is because we needed something that related to our image and that was the stripes. We still have that same need and the stripes (maybe) are still there, so there is no need for a new nickname; it's a moot point.

Kempton - Exactly, it's all just opinion and it will be until the name-change is made and we see no benefit (although I am sure one will be conjured up!).