1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic So, what now?

Discussion in 'Bristol City' started by bcfcredandwhite, Jan 15, 2019.

1. bcfcredandwhite

bcfcredandwhite Well-Known Member

Absolutely. I want trying to suggest that qualifications were meaningless - just that they can be misleading sometimes.
    I know we are going a bit ‘off piste’ with this - and I have to be very careful with my words here, but I work a lot with our IT partners in India. Many are very highly qualified - with doctorates in Computer Science and other high academic credentials. However, if you give them a blank sheet of paper and tell them to develop their own solutions, they panic - they need processes to follow and everything written down. Their education system has taught them how to pass exams - not how to think (and I fear that’s what we are starting to do over here).
    I’m generalising again of course, but this particularly applies to the majority of the Indian contractors that I work with. It may be a cultural thing too - they are reluctant to challenge anything or anyone - their culture is so hierarchical it sometimes makes me cringe and they are so terrified of making a mistake that they won’t do anything that isn’t a recognised process.
    One common trait that they possess though, with very few exceptions, is they are extremely polite and respectful. Genuinely lovely people who can’t do enough for you.

oneforthebristolcity and BCFCRob like this.
  2. BCFCRob

BCFCRob Well-Known Member

Ha yes, that post is almost uncanny. Exactly my experience too.

3. johngalleyfan2

johngalleyfan2 Well-Known Member

absolutely the point I made previously, and Macron was making it before the fire had really took hold and before it demolished the towers! ….. there economy is a mess … they will suffer severely when we leave as one of only 2 countries with an economy to plug the gap. We do have as does many other countries skills on replacing ancient ruins/ wood/ etc
    I had some pretty high exam marks in my youth … before multiple q's .. French .. looking at my old report [ age 16 ] 92% Religious instruction 95% Math's as is now known 72% ENG LIT 72%History 82% Geography 80% IN THE 3 SCIENCES.. BIO 72% chem 68% physics 68% [ Also did AG BIOL 78% AG CHEM 74% ] lowest mark on the paper 62%
    BUT classwork, above is exams, FRENCH RI HISTORY ENG LIT AG BIOL and AG CHEM were similar the rest were ABOUT 10-15% BELOW ..
    SWOTTING for exams could remember key points … in general life ...had to reference them etc!
    don't have a degree but pretty sure if I did as my mate open uni would get one …. have a load of C&G / o levels etc but found it easier to get a job without "boasting about them"

4. RedorDead

RedorDead Well-Known Member

I agree, my mother is a Professor and a Dr of science, but common sense has had a total bypass on her.

But to give the old dear some credit, she choose to go back to Uni in her 30’s as she missed out having my brother when she was 17.

bcfcredandwhite likes this.
  5. AshtonRed

AshtonRed Well-Known Member

I imagine some sags are highly qualified, (on the law of averages) , and yet clearly common sense has bypassed them also. <laugh><laugh><laugh>

Reliant Robin TC2 and Supcon72 like this.
  6. johngalleyfan2

good on your mum … I was married at 18 2 kids and a mortgage [ first one ] before 21 …. took C&G'S to progress from 22 omward .. have about 10 different ones now …. been "officially retired 14 years .. but have done work most of the time ….

7. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

<grr> you could really go off some people <laugh>

8. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

Totally agree. I know its an iconic building and its important to a lot of people so I mean no disrespect here but I cannot believe the amount of money that some have promised to give to help it be rebuilt. Something between £500 million to a billion so far within a matter of days. Yet homelessness grows and people living in poverty grows. Its a mad world we live in.

9. johngalleyfan2

the catholic church is worth £octillions notice they are keeping their heads down?

10. oneforthebristolcity

oneforthebristolcity Well-Known Member

I find it all a bit strange watching people sobbing as if hundreds died....wonder how many of them regularly use it as a church? Nowadays it's just like any other iconic tourist attraction....It will be rebuilt and continue as a tourist attraction......in my eyes, would be better as a park so all could enjoy it. Like you said, money would be better spent on the people in poverty, homeless and starving..

11. AshtonRed

Be fair CJS I did say some of you lot must be highly qualified, just misguided, besides I think deep down you’re a red.

12. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

please log in to view this image

13. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

please log in to view this image

Captain Jack Sparrow likes this.
  14. AshtonRed

It seems the yellow jackets , or whatever they’re called , the french demonstrators that wear high viz jackets , agree with you , they were demonstrating against how much money French business raised for this project in a short period of time, whilst many people n french society live on the poverty line.

oneforthebristolcity likes this.
  15. johngalleyfan2

IT CAN NEVER BE THE ICONIC BUILDING IT WAS DUE TO THE USE OF MODERN DAY INFLUENCES ...

16. Cliftonville

Cliftonville Well-Known Member

Apologies if already posted.

Last edited: May 26, 2019
  17. Red Alert

Red Alert Well-Known Member

Change uk are finished before they started.

Labour will move towards a referendum and lose millions of votes in Wales and the North to keep London .

Conservatives will move towards no deal.

Oldsparkey likes this.
  18. ccfcremotesupport

ccfcremotesupport Well-Known Member

I differentiate between qualification and education.
    There are a lot of people with a lot of qualifications who are not well educated.
    There are also a lot of people with few qualifications who are very well educated.

Reliant Robin TC2 likes this.
  19. BCFCRob

BCFCRob Well-Known Member

Totally fair thing to do. There are lots of degree educated people with no common sense whatsoever. But as a metric overall it's the best we have and has at least a little validity.

ccfcremotesupport likes this.
  20. Red Alert

Red Alert Well-Known Member

so what now??? well Sadiq Khan will coat off our greatest allies leader. so will others in the labour party including its leader. more anti democracy v a Country a super power we will want to trade with. maybe that's it labour want to wreck that relationship to damage Brexit further.

oneforthebristolcity likes this.