1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic So, what now?

Discussion in 'Bristol City' started by bcfcredandwhite, Jan 15, 2019.

1. Cliftonville

Cliftonville Well-Known Member

And Napolean.

It was a point about democracy and historical attempts to dominate Europe.

Good or bad a point about democracy.

Mr Lammy?

A member of the public is arrested for harassment for calling Remain supporting Anna Soubry a nazi.

Mr Lammy calls Leave supporting MPs worse than nazis and err …?

Last edited: Apr 16, 2019
  2. BCFCRob

BCFCRob Well-Known Member

I can't disagree with the Folau decision, but you're absolutely right in your point. What's the point of freedom of speech if it isn't really free? It needs to be applied consistently or not at all.

Also... I echo the comments in here about Notre Dame. Absolutely devastating. To think of everything that that building has seen and survived... and then it's gutted in a matter of hours :emoticon-0101-sadsm. Thankfully the main structure itself is there. It will be rebuilt, it will never be the same, but it's still there.

3. oneforthebristolcity

oneforthebristolcity Well-Known Member

I don't want to be callas and all that, but at the end of the day, Notre Dame is just a building, historic and icon yes, but still just a building.......no life was lost and it can be rebuilt...don't really get all the hysterics!! Reminds me a bit of Weston's Pier!!! :emoticon-0105-wink:

Captain Jack Sparrow likes this.
  4. johngalleyfan2

johngalleyfan2 Well-Known Member

the amazing thing is that MACRON stated whilst it was still burning that "We will rebuild it with the help of the international community" …. it will take millions of EURO'S …

I know the French economy is approaching dire straights, their coffers are somewhat stretched .. but didn't know they would be that quick with the begging bowl! Many countries have lost icons of historical value … how many of them come up with such a comment? Did we get help from anyone when St Pauls cathedral was burned to the ground, indeed bombed to the ground ….!

Whilst I PARTLY agree with 1for .. it is only a building, all be it over 800 years old [ oldest part] … it can be rebuilt, and whilst never going to be the same again it is still part of history.

5. Cliftonville

Cliftonville Well-Known Member

6. oneforthebristolcity

7. bcfcredandwhite

bcfcredandwhite Well-Known Member

I’ve visited Notre Dame on a number of occasions - beautiful place - and for me it holds a very special significance - I smoked my last ever cigarette just outside in a small cafe by the Seine in 1988 (not including a ‘funny fag’ I smoked in Amsterdam - horrid thing which did nothing for me except relieve me of 4 Euros and make my mouth taste like I’d licked the inside of the hearth in my front room!)

8. Redprintt

Redprintt Well-Known Member

Lammy and Diane Abbot are a match made in heaven.
    I just find it funny when she appears on the box. Can anyone be that daft.

Honestly, MPs are just a laughing stock. Yet we're told by remainers that MPs know all the facts about Brexit and that's why 75% of them want to stay in the EU.
    Anything, and I mean anything that Abbot comes out with you just know the opposite is true.
    The Hackney Labour electorate defy description.

oneforthebristolcity likes this.
  9. BCFCRob

Abbott has a History degree from Cambridge University and Lammy has a Masters degree from Harvard University. Yep, it's definitely them that are daft and thick.

While education isn't the best metric of judging someone's intelligence, nor is muddling your numbers once in a television interview.

10. RedorDead

RedorDead Well-Known Member

Just a few more tourist in Notre Dame than Weston super mare pier. Only just though :emoticon-0102-bigsm:emoticon-0102-bigsm

I did discover that it’s the second most visited monument in the world though. That was my learning curve today as I didn’t know that.

11. bcfcredandwhite

Sorry Rob but that just illustrates the sad state of our education system.
    Diane Abbott was entertaining on the tv show when cuddled up to Michael Portillo.
    She has power now - dangerous!!!

12. Redprintt

Redprintt Well-Known Member

13. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

bcfcredandwhite likes this.
  14. BCFCRob

Well argued point gents. :emoticon-0167-beer:

bcfcredandwhite likes this.
  15. oneforthebristolcity

Are you saying then, that you think Diane Abbott is intelligent? Should I say to my Grandson, that he should be inspired by her? <laugh><laugh><laugh> Blimey..... I don't think so!!

Redprintt likes this.
  16. oneforthebristolcity

I think, back in the day of God ism, it was one of the most important historic places to worship in, but nowadays, although an Icon for France and beyond, it's now mainly used as a tourist attraction......once rebuilt, it will become that again..
    I do think, that the media and alike have gone a bit over the top on it all, especially the fact that nobody died or were injured......I was more worried for the fire crew, if I'm honest..
    And all this, regarding donations etc.....I think the French & their millionaires are able to cover it, (although I do believe we have experts in this country in renovating cathedrals) ............I might be wrong, but did we ask the EU and alike for handouts when Windsor caught fire?

17. BCFCRob

You don't get a degree at Cambridge by accident.

Whether she's suitable to be a politician is a completely different discussion. But chances are she's considerably more intelligent than you or I. I'm nitpicking anyway, I'm not a huge fan of hers as a politician. I just think some perspective is needed.

18. oneforthebristolcity

At History I grant you.....at maths........I'm not so sure <laugh> And as a politician IMO, bloody useless.

19. bcfcredandwhite

Academic qualifications are a certification of ones ability to apply ones self for long periods of time regurgitating information and articulating it in a slightly different format to your source.
    It is NOT a certification of intelligence, common sense or ‘life skills’.
    There is currently no exam that I’m aware of that measures those.
    I’m generalising of course, but in my working life (in IT) some of the most intelligent and skilful people I’ve worked with had few or no academic qualifications and by contrast some of the highest qualified with degrees have been amongst the least useful - those people tend to need everything written down so they can follow instructions whereas the lesser qualified people tend to be more innovative and find their own way.
    Like I said, I’m generalising based on my own experience in the workplace. I’m sure there are some very clever people who’s qualifications simply underline their abilities, but that doesn’t always follow.

20. BCFCRob

I completely agree with you bcfcredandwhite, it's not the best metric of intelligence, as I said in my first post on it. And anecdotally, I've had the same experiences as you. But I still stand by the fact that you'd do well do be completely and utterly stupid and still get a degree from one of the leading universities in the world.

Particularly in IT, someone who is self-taught through some sort of passion for the subject tends to go far, far further than the others and be far more useful, so I can completely relate.