1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

New poll - in or out?

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by Libby, Nov 18, 2017.

?

Pellegrino in or out?

1. In

20.2%
  2. Out

79.8%
  1. GoodOlStNick

GoodOlStNick New Member

I voted out, but not sure either is really viable; he stays and we limp along until (best case scenario) end of the season just doing enough, or he goes and we take the cheap option - which has been pointed out already, would lead to Black in charge for a spell (and as he's cheap/ paid for....) Lose Lose either way.

Personally, I'd chuck a load of cash (stop laughing) at (and even I can't believe I'm saying this with the past in mind) Rodgers to get him down South. We'll get the usual BS chat and soundbytes, but I think it'd be a good fit (and i hate the bloke!)

2. Archers Road

Archers Road Urban Spaceman

We appear to have quite a good professional relationship with Celtic. I'm not sure we'd put that at risk by trying to take their manager off them mid season.

Though perhaps we could arrange a swap for Forster?

manxsaint, GoodOlStNick and hotbovril like this.
  3. hotbovril

hotbovril Well-Known Member

There's more chance of Heather Graham chapping on my door tonight than Rodgers coming to Saints. He knocked back three PL jobs to go to his boyhood club and wants to be the man that delivers the mythical ten in a row.

That said I'd take him in a flash.

GoodOlStNick likes this.
  4. Qwerty

Qwerty Well-Known Member

There would probably be outrage, but also, he would be nuts to go there. There's such a good thing going on at Watford right now, even if it doesn't last he should just ride the wave. Same with Dyche and (I think) Howe. If they really back themselves, they can just resign when they have had enough, and pick whatever job they like.

(also, isn't Silva well within the Mendes orbit? not sure that adding another personality to the transfer committee is really what Everton need to do)

Libby likes this.
  5. ihatemyselfandwanttodie

ihatemyselfandwanttodie Well-Known Member

Yeah, I’d think Brendan would be far more commanding of his area and reckon he could save at least half those low shots. And with his own head wedged so far up his ****ing arse, Brendan would never hear the sarcastic boos when he catches the ball.

6. GoodOlStNick

GoodOlStNick New Member

Fwiw I don't think we'd get him, as it would involve actually paying cash for a manager. Guess we'd get whoever was free... Luis Enrique or Tuchel it is then*

*May be on some strong medication at present

7. Missing Lambo

Missing Lambo Well-Known Member

Sorry. Yes/No poll? Where's the "I no longer give a ****" response?

My first "full season" with the Saints was in the late 50's when I could both afford it and started playing for a club which always played on Fridays for some obscure reason. I have missed a few Saints games since then, but became a proper season ticket holder again about 15 years ago when I also tried to get to as many away games as possible. God, I've seen some crap served up. Ted Bates, you may have a statue, mate, but some of your football was dire. Relegation fodder year after year, seeing them lose game after game after bloody game. 2009 and the real possibility that they'd cease to exist. I was gutted at the prospect. And after all that I feel betrayed by a lover I've stood by for decades.

We may have been crap but we were crap in a typically Southampton way. I have been annoyed by the sacking of managers before, but last season's panic button response finished me off. We have become like every wanna be club, aka areshole, in the Prem. The "Southampton Way" and "Five Year Plans" seem to have been abandoned. We looked shocking on Saturday. We were so bad that my Red mates who'd been to the game couldn't even be arsed to take the piss. So,now where? Oh yes, let's sack the manager. Great move, we have done so well since we sacked the last poor sod. God, they'll be queuing round the block for this job. Come and manage a team who have lost all motivation and couldn't score if the opposition stayed in their dressing room, then get sacked when Les decides that the black box has ****ed up again, and that the board need take no responsibility.

I know old farts who have supported the club for years mean sod all, and rightly so. It's a business after all. But there is a way of running a business, and the way we are currently being run ain't it.

8. saintlyhero

saintlyhero Well-Known Member

Nice post

You have eloquently described many of the feelings I have at the moment towards Saints, Football and other aspects of life, particularly political. Whereby the default solution to problems in sticky times is for people to lose their jobs

As for Saints, I think we’re seeing all the disadvantages to our club structure which rightly gained such high praise in recent seasons.

Transfer Committee - I think we’ve recruited incredibly well over the last few seasons. The trouble is although you can see the individual talent in those acquisitions, our high turnover of coaches has meant that I think how those players blend together has been lost in the shuffle.

You can argue it’s the coaches responsibility to get that right, but this calendar year has seen two coaches largely fail to do so and I personally can’t get behind the view that two men who have been in football all their lives are “clueless”

Onionman, Mysterdee and Missing Lambo like this.
  9. Missing Lambo

:emoticon-0148-yes:

Anyone think it could be a systemic problem? Nah, course not. Let's sack the manager

10. Libby

Libby 9-0

11. HarryTipper

HarryTipper Well-Known Member

:steam: That's bad even for SW standards.

Didn't realise it was started by Guan, usually a decent poster too if I'm remembering rightly.

Libby likes this.
  12. Libby

Libby 9-0

My thoughts exactly.

Guan of all people the op too!

HarryTipper likes this.
  13. HarryTipper

HarryTipper Well-Known Member

Pellegrino may not be doing a good job but he's not bloody Bob Bradley.

14. SaintinNZ

SaintinNZ Well-Known Member

I'm not arguing but as far as loyalty goes, its only deserving in some circumstances. I supported Puel who I thought had a clue and achieved very well with a ****ty hand. I honestly dont believe that MP2 has the nounce for the job. Nothing I see and nothing I have heard gives me event the vaguest feeling that he is in the right job. Given its been this way since the opening games I'm not feeling that loyalty has been earned or deserved.

I absolutely agree that this could be systemic and I guess we will find out - but we wont find out if we keep with MP2. It will be on his head alone, better if he is shifted on.

15. milton archer

milton archer Well-Known Member

Great post. Wouldn't it be great if our fans could get behind the team, cheer individual players notwithstanding how poorly they are performing especially Fraser, who knows it may even lift the guy. We used to do it as nippers. OK moan after the match but give 90 minutes of real support in the stadium.

16. Saints Fan4Life

Saints Fan4Life Well-Known Member

I'm convinced Frasers current problems are to do with the abuse he gets from our fans.

17. Sharpe*

Sharpe* Senior Member

85% out!

Very conclusive.

18. Libby

Libby 9-0

It doesn't help for sure but I highly doubt that's the reason.

19. ImpSaint

ImpSaint Well-Known Member

The day we sacked Adkins all the "Southampton Way" and "family run ethical club" salespitch became garbage and like you say, we became just another wannabe PL club.

Sack this manager or not is by the by really. TBH I'm sick of hearing the salespitch. #wemarchon = bollocks.
    #wewillkeeppretendingwearesomethingwearen'ttokeepthemediaonsideandgiveoursupporterssomethingtorepeatandbelieve.

As for get behind the team and support them? Those were days when we had a team we hoped would hit the top half but more likely not get relegated. A teamof players that barring a couple of gems were not at a level to really compete. A club that did not constantly talk itself up as on the verge of greatness.

As for Forster. Yes maybe he is playing worse because of the lack of support he is getting. Coming from a low bar though. If he was getting cheered on and encouraged he would still come for crosses and flap or drop the ball and he still wouldn't be able to reach shots just inside the posts despite his giant stature.

The worst thing is that while MP2 needs to go, who is there to replace him?

I actually dreamt last night that Benitez had been appointed and in my dream I was "aarghing." Woke up to realise it was a dream.

Until Saints hold their hands up and state we are not on the verge of greatness and we are what we are with aspirations to get better then expectation is going to continue to see reaction that we see now.

If you keep telling the fanbase that we are now in that 7th/8th position then any less is going to see a reaction.

If you keep banging on about "the Southampton way" then unpretty football and outright boredom is going to see a reaction.

If you keep banging on about "the pathway" then starting 11s with none of "our own" are going to see a reaction.

If you keep on banging on about all 3 of the above together then you put yourself in a very hard place as all of the above are going to be very hard to achieve at the same time!!!

Last edited: Nov 21, 2017
    hotbovril, St.Jerome, Libby and 4 others like this.
  20. Missing Lambo

Like Imps, I remain to be convinced about Fraser's form being correlated with the bizarre abuse from our "fans". But it almost certainly won't help, and I have always subscribed to the view that when I am at a match I'll support the team, whichever 11 happen to be on the pitch at any one time. Let's not pretend there was golden age though. I recall getting into an argument with a very large bloke about Terry Paine that could have severely shortened my life expectancy had Terry not chosen that moment to put a pin point cross onto the head of Ron Davies. One great memory of the whingers was coming out of the Dell when Lawrie's "all stars" had just demolished a team 4-0 and one bloke opined "****ing Channon is useless. He should have scored 3 at least today". He didn't need to express this, as he'd been stood behind me shouting "Channon, you're a ****ing carthorse" if Mick hadn't quite beaten the 5th man on one of his gallops. Every team has its "I paid me money so I'm entitled to whinge" fans. A mate of mine and his wife are season ticket holders at Anfield and has a bloke behind them who constantly screams abuse at Couthino.

Archers Road likes this.