1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

New poll - in or out?

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by Libby, Nov 18, 2017.

?

Pellegrino in or out?

1. In

20.2%
  2. Out

79.8%
  1. Le Tissier's Laces

Le Tissier's Laces Well-Known Member

If we want a manager used to getting results without any decent strikers, Christophe Galtier is available. He’s kind of like the French Sean Dyche, so possibly not the most entertaining, but got results at St Etienne.

2. Whiteley Saint

Whiteley Saint Well-Known Member

I think we are trying to find an up and coming manager who will take the team to the next level and be loyal to the club. Unfortunately they either lack loyalty (Poch & Koeman) or the club do (Puel) although I still think the club didn't really want to get rid of Puel. I still don't know if Pellegrino is this manager I guess we will have to wait and see. I would like him to be given more time but football isn't like that unfortunately.

3. Whiteley Saint

Yes I do. I was fearing the worst at that point. I think it would be madness to do what Everton have done and let the manager go part way through the season so we are then just drifting with Black in charge.

4. Archers Road

Archers Road Urban Spaceman

The outrage passed, but the bad taste in the mouth didn't. And the problems we have had with managers since Nige almost feels like karma sometimes.

ImpSaint and Whiteley Saint like this.
  5. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

I didn't like to mention Black....though it is probably safe on here. :) Mention his name on Saintsweb and stand well back. For some reason there are a few fans/nutjobs on there who don't blame the players, manager or board, but blame our failures on a coach (who is one of a group of coaches). I think he must have killed and eaten their firstborns.

6. Saintmagic

Saintmagic Well-Known Member

I have heard various theories on why Puel was sacked, ranging from the players falling out with him to Les Reed seeing falling season ticket sales and sacking him because of that. The bottom line is it was Les Reed's decision ultimately to fire him and find his replacement. From memory there were a few on here who wanted him to stay, a few who wanted him out, but most were wouldn't mind if he stayed or went.

Loyalty in football has all but gone as the gulf between the top clubs and the also rans is so vast that if you are good enough to play for/manage one of the bigger teams then, in short, you would be an idiot not to go. Top level players and managers have extreme self confidence and belief in their own ability so why wouldn't they want to test themselves at the very top? Throw in a nice pay rise and it becomes a bit of a no brainer.

We have to try and identify these young up coming managers to keep us hovering around the top 6, sometimes finishing in a European place but most of the time aiming to be the best of the also rans. We also have to accept that if we can identify these managers then they will be gone within a couple of seasons as by keeping us hovering around there they would become targets for bigger/richer clubs. This goes the same for players as well. Our problem in the last 18 months or so has been at recruitment level, mainly in terms of players but you could argue managers as well.

7. fran-MLs little camera

Karma must be very slow acting then as we have had some good years since then. Karma was more rotten to poor old Nigel.

8. Whiteley Saint

Maybe the Black Box needs a reboot.

9. fran-MLs little camera

Unplug and kick it often works....especially accompanied by cries of 'you stupid bastard'.

MIsaints likes this.
  10. Archers Road

Archers Road Urban Spaceman

Karma's a bitch like that. It can afford to wait... <laugh>

11. Whiteley Saint

...or an anguished "Why are you doing that?" accompanied by banging the keys on the keyboard. The computer equivalent of speaking loudly to foreigners.

12. jonny 'hasen' shuttle

jonny 'hasen' shuttle Well-Known Member

I'm hearing Pellegrino's been sacked

And then re-instated

And then sacked again

and Big Sam is viewing a flat near the docks

and Koeman has just instagrameed Les via Facechat

13. fran-MLs little camera

Boots or Specsavers could test your hearing for you.

14. Pelletron

Pelletron Well-Known Member

I'd say both Koeman and Puel were successful options. This one's an outlier.
    I was quite annoyed that Puel wasn't given another season to get things right, and am still baffled by the lack of strength by the Board in the face of fan criticism.

Regardless, I've voted OUT for MP2. Don't necessarily want him out tomorrow, and am generally a fan of managerial changes in close seasons only, but knowing Saints, they'd leave it the whole pre-season, and appoint late, so I don't mind when it happens. I think he is just the wrong type of manager to maintain the Southampton Way, and is no point imo trying to go forward, when i can't see any big stylistic changes or ideas up his sleeve, nor for that reason do I see the point in him having any input into transfers in to try to solidify his style.

15. Pelletron

Whatever criticism anyone can have of Les for not choosing x or y, I don't think he can be criticised for not choosing Silva - as Silva looks extremely likely to have been a short term appointment. He looks very likely to out-Koeman even Koeman in terms of a short stay with a stepping stone club. If Everton had poached him off us halfway through a season, I'd be fuming.

Archers Road likes this.
  16. Pelletron

Football is, as we all know, fickle. I don't think any manager should be judged as to what they do with their family - if, as is increasingly likely, Saints and him part ways soon, he'd have dragged his kids out of one school in a country where they speak the native language and have friends and family, just to move them on again. Perhaps he wanted to give it until Christmas to make a decision, based on how well he was doing.

17. jonny 'hasen' shuttle

18. Lovelocum

Lovelocum Well-Known Member

Saints didn’t want to get rid of puel? How did you come to that conclusion?

Libby likes this.
  19. jonny 'hasen' shuttle

I think Whiteley meant the Board of Directors did not want to get rid of Puel. Like NOT really want to lose him. We finished 8th best in England which for the BOARD is alright innit.

Just the stupid fans that didnt appreciate his BOARD BORING ways

20. Libby

Libby 9-0

Yeah I don't buy all this fans pushed him out malarkey, pretty sure Les does as he pleases and won't make decisions based on the fans.

St sales I can believe, but I don't for one second believe that he made his mind up based on the atmosphere at homes games.