1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Lee Burge

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by Wolfy, Jan 31, 2021.

1. Nig

Nig Well-Known Member

Your fookin sound Rodge.
    Good craic ;)

Makemstine Roger likes this.
  2. Nig

Nig Well-Known Member

No thats true mate.
    Me father pined for it years ago but too old now, it really is the best place for down to earth honest people.
    Shìt weather mind <laugh><laugh>

Mick Sterbs and Makemstine Roger like this.
  3. Makemstine Roger

Makemstine Roger Well-Known Member

naughty man your bringing tears to my eyes, hope the fookers win summat before i peg out

Nig likes this.
  4. Makemstine Roger

that joke you put up on just for RAW has had me in stiches for a minute now its a cracker

Nig likes this.
  5. Nig

Nig Well-Known Member

You know what Rodge. I'm flagging now, too much booze and the mrs is due back with the Chinese takeaway i ordered. But hopefully one day we'll meet up at a Sunderland match and share a few beers. If that majes sense and i need to log out now hahahaha.

Mick Sterbs and Makemstine Roger like this.
  6. Makemstine Roger

good night mate

Nig likes this.
  7. marcusblackcat

marcusblackcat SAFC Sheriff
    Forum Moderator

Match winning save vs Ipswich. We won 1-0 and they apparently had 3 shots on target so he technically made 3 match winning one of which was decent enough but not spectacular (that’s not me saying I rate him... I don’t! Just you asked fir some specifics so I gave you them)

8. Smug in Boots

Smug in Boots Well-Known Member

Burge has had endless combinations of defence to play behind and that always makes it difficult to establish the good communications that are vital. With this style of play he's also being asked to take a lot of passes to his feet and distribute the ball, that puts extra pressure on a keeper.

In the last few games our full backs have allowed far too many crosses into the box.

People have been calling the first Gillingham goal a big error from Burge. I've watched it back and there are a series of errors that lead to the goal. Despite the danger of throw ins we put the ball out, yet again, for a throw in, the headed clearance is poor ... we've left the same player unmarked on the edge of the box for the second time in minutes, Scowen turns his back on the shot.

The ball comes through a crowded box and our defender is playing someone onside right in front of Burge. Their player gets a nick on it and it evades Burge who seemed to have it covered.

He's not a world beater but I don't think he's the basket case some are suggesting. Once we have a settled defence, with proper full backs, I think we'd accept Burge as a decent keeper.

On Saturday we allowed far too much pressure, on our defence, and not enough time in their half. Whatever the case, imo, Burge will be our main keeper this season and I think we have more important issues.

9. Nig

Nig Well-Known Member

Apologies if it sounded like I was having a pop yesterday mate, I wasn't.
    Just pìssed and trying to enthuse some drunken fueled positivity :D

Nacho likes this.
  10. marcusblackcat

Forum Moderator

Whilst I get that, There was more than one occasion on Saturday where it needed a keeper to simply come through the traffic and stick a fist through the ball. You do that a couple of times early on, the strikers think twice about being so keen to get there and . Set out your stall. I do think that's what it needed Saturday.

The first goal looked a comfortable save to me. While there were a number of mistakes leading to the shot, he looked like he left it to go wide and it didn't go wide! That, to me, is absolutely his fault.

Second goal I have no idea what he was doing. Yes they had an extra man but he literally sat down and said "there you go fella" - He might have made no difference but he certainly didn't make it difficult.

11. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

Nothing to apologise for mate it was all very civilised. Don't know what you were calling me that you didn't post though <laugh>

Makemstine Roger and Nig like this.
  12. Smug in Boots

I fully agree that he's looked more indecisive recently, he struggles without Wright to organise the defence. I just hope we get a settled defence with good full backs. I don't think Power is a patch on O'Nien, I cant remember that many tackles on Saturday tbh.

marcusblackcat likes this.
  13. Nig

Nig Well-Known Member

Haha wasn't calling you anything mate, just reading the thread and picked up on your post trying to inject some positivity.
    That @Wolfy was the worst, he started it :D :p

14. marcusblackcat

Forum Moderator

Agree about Power but would still rather have O'Nien in midfield pressing from the front. His energy will be masive playing the game that Johnson wants to play. McFadzean looked OK at first but he's gone backwards. We have him, Hume (1st choice for me), the new lad. Do we actually have a "right back" at the club?

15. Smug in Boots

Sanderson should play there instead of Power.

If O'Nien plays midfield we don't need the right back putting in crosses.

O'Nien and Jones can link up with O'Nien covering the full back if we lose the ball.

marcusblackcat and Random lad like this.
  16. Draig

Draig Well-Known Member

Then managers realised he was a big weakness in our defence and started to exploit it.

As for right backs, I can only think of Conor McLaughlin, whenever he is able to play again, but I'm sure his disciplinary record and general poor play were what started O'Nien being played at RWB to start off with.

17. marcusblackcat

Forum Moderator

McLaughlin is a centre half though. He said that himself. (And he’s not a very good rb!!)

18. Draig

Draig Well-Known Member

Mind, I've just checked him out on Soccerbase and he's played at right back for a goodly portion of his career though - and for N Ireland. He has also had the shirt number 2 for a fair few seasons too.

Aye he's a central defender because he said so. I remember when Rodwell said he was a centre back too.

Makemstine Roger likes this.
  19. marcusblackcat

Forum Moderator

<laugh> True! He’s said he much prefers playing there. Got much more time for him than Rodwell mind!! Just from watching him, he looks like a centre half playing at rb. Means nothing in reality mind!

Makemstine Roger and Draig like this.
  20. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

Clear as day that when he gets past the halfway line he doesn't have a clue and his crossing technique is as bad as I've seen, it's a glorified toe poke. He's a centre back.