1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Lee Burge

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by Wolfy, Jan 31, 2021.

1. Wolfy

Wolfy Well-Known Member

Absolutely shocking keeper. He never looks comfortable with crosses, he makes hard work of the easiest saves and his kicking is pathetic. If we had big Jon in goal yesterday we would have won. He will be the difference between us staying down and going up this year imo. We desperately need someone in before the window closes, hopefully LJ realises this.

2. Saf

Saf Not606 Godfather+NOT606 Poster of the year 2023

Wolfy, is there any players you won't be blaming if we fail to get promotion?

3. Bank of England 2

Bank of England 2 Well-Known Member

If I was the opposing team, I would hit the ball hard and low against him. He is woefully slow at getting down to block shots along the deck. Noticed this in his first game for us, there's been a few times since and it was particularly evident for the first goal yesterday.

A new keeper has got to be a priority in the summer, unless we can get a loanee in during the coming week.

4. Wolfy

Wolfy Well-Known Member

The defence other than McFadzean have all done well, so they are immune to criticism. Other than that, it’s pretty obvious why we aren’t getting promoted isn’t it.

Makemstine Roger likes this.
  5. Scootsie

Scootsie Well-Known Member

McLaughlin wouldn’t have guaranteed us anything because it was McFadzean at fault for the second goal.

6. Smug in Boots

Smug in Boots Well-Known Member

When they hit the bar Power was daydreaming and turned his back when he saw the shot coming.

I don't think he'll finish the season there.

Perhaps LJ is trying to keep his captain in the side but it'll cost us imo.

Peter Daniels beard and Wolfy like this.
  7. Saf

Saf Not606 Godfather+NOT606 Poster of the year 2023

Nobody is immune to criticism, tbh.

The reason we might not be promoted is because we've been terribly mismanaged by the guys at the top and the results of that are now filtering onto the pitch.

8. marcusblackcat

marcusblackcat SAFC Sheriff
    Forum Moderator

He’s got a specific MO hasn’t he. I reckon he’s an incumbent of a previous poster (can’t remember the name)

“If I’ve got nothing negative to say, I’m just not going to say anything”

Smug in Boots and Young Ted like this.
  9. Scootsie

Scootsie Well-Known Member

looks alright when he gets forward but looks like he’s lacking positionally going back over.

O’Nien might get a chance on Tuesday.

10. Random lad

Random lad Well-Known Member

Very few teams achieve success with a poor keeper

11. SAFC2403

SAFC2403 Well-Known Member

Think we've been spoilt over the years with our keepers until the season we were in the championship - pretty much went downhill from there and we now have 2 absolutely woeful keepers.

How long are the contracts of the 2 we signed this year? Hopefully they get peddled in the summer. Burge could very well cost us promotion - the number of really soft goals he lets in is a joke. The first goal yesterday is a case in point - scuffed with no power and it still beats him.

12. gelders pie

gelders pie Well-Known Member

Just what I was thinking, no matter how poor our squads were in times gone by, we never had keeper worries, and were often spoilt for choice between two

13. Mick Sterbs

Mick Sterbs Well-Known Member

So do you reckon we’ll get a championship or premier league keeper to come here? No point another league 1 keeper signing as Burge has the most clean sheets and best clean sheet percentage in the league and has conceded the least goals in the league. LJ is all about the data so I doubt he sees it like you do.

p.s. he’s also in the top 5 for save percentage.

14. Wolfy

Wolfy Well-Known Member

Them stats might fool LJ, but they don’t fool me mate or the majority of our fan base. Every game I’ve watched he hardly has anything to do and the saves he makes are all pretty basic tbh. Name me a time he made a world class save, or even a match winning save? Honest question, I genuinely can’t think of one.

15. Mick Sterbs

World class save??? He’s a league 1 keeper man ffs. We are Sunderland mate, currently a league 1 team with a league 1 squad. Get over it.

16. Wolfy

Wolfy Well-Known Member

Saw plenty of them from JM and seen a lot of other keeps pull them off too. What about a match winning save then? The only one I can think of is that penalty save at Gillingham, but in fairness any keeper has half a chance of saving them if they dive the right way. Can’t think of any from open play.

17. Mick Sterbs

He’s also only 1 of only 4 keepers to have saved a penalty this season in league 1

18. Makemstine Roger

Makemstine Roger Well-Known Member

for me it was as plain as day we really should be looking for a goalie, as this guy will not survive if we get promoted he is just not good enough, makes too may mistakes and the pinnacle of his competence will be lower half of this league or the next one down. His stats may look good but overall the defence helps him tremendously he may get called on a few times during a game but as all fans know when its left to him to save the day, we are all worried, in the days before premiership we always had a better goalie, this one has been checked and been found wanting in skill

Bank of England 2 and Wolfy like this.
  19. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

I don't have much of an issue with his shot stopping, not that top 5 is anything to brag about for a team that wants to finish in the top two.

Unfortunately almost every other attribute that is valuable for keepers apart from shot stopping (the most important one granted) he's bottom three if not bottom. I'll also give him credit for his quick and neat short distribution although a lot of his long kicking is awful.

We've just signed a LB from the prem and a winger from Rangers, it's not exactly impossible for us to improve on a flawed league one level keeper.

20. Wolfy

Wolfy Well-Known Member

The only explanation for anyone who thinks differently is they haven’t watched us enough this season. He literally moved his hands out of the way on that first goal yesterday <laugh> Would have been a basic save for most. I honestly think he’s the worst keeper in the league, he’s very lucky to have a good defence in front of him.