1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Transfer Rumours Winter window

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Matth_2014, Jan 4, 2018.

1. gav81

gav81 Active Member

Yeah the affordability isn't a problem at present. Though I'm not sure it's value paying that much for a player with probably two seasons left at his best and who we won't then be able to move on because of his wages.

It's more about the dressing room. How do more longstanding players like Valencia, Martial, Lingard and Rashford feel that the new boy earns more than them combined? And I guess I don't understand why we have to triple Sanchez's Arsenal wages, or pay a whopping 60k a week more than City put on the table, or why a player who has done nothing for United yet should be instantly installed as our top earner for the honour of getting him here. Roy Keane had to captain United to the treble before he achieved that reward.

What it does is place the responsibility for success on newcomers with no loyalty to the club beyond money: Di Maria, Falcao, Schweinsteiger, Zlatan, Pogba, Lukaku, Sanchez and others. It's transforming United into a superstar culture of individuals which can bring hit and miss short term success. That is compared to the commitment culture preferred by Ferguson using youth, making players into the finished article and enacting a wage structure that rewarded achievement, all of which provided the club long term stability at the top.

It pains me to say that Guardiola has always been a proponent of a similar commitment culture and City are adhering to it like United used to. Look at their recent signings - Walker, Mendy, Stones, Bernardo Silva, Gundogan, Sane, Jesus - all on around £100k a week or less with the top earner at the club still Aguero. Anyway, I wouldn't be raising that if I felt we had our own house in order.

I guess it's just a worry seeing so much about United move so far away from how it was under Ferguson - he'd never have entertained handing out the excessive wages we've seen for new players since his retirement. Yes we lost out on players like Pogba and Hazard because of those principles but it was to benefit the club overall.

King Shergar likes this.
  2. King Shergar

King Shergar Well-Known Member

Yeah I agree there is no way Fergie would have sanctioned this type of deal. Sanchez is just being a greedy ****er, and we are the only club stupid enough to fall for it.

I don't care wether he is available cheaply, we shouldn't have to offer him way more than everyone else just to join us.

We aren't some billionaire club in Russia or China. We are the biggest club in one of the best leagues in Europe.

Sanchez is not Ronaldo or Messi, so we should not be paying him as if he is.

3. Christiansmith

Christiansmith Well-Known Member

I am hoping that Sanchez is a one off. The exception to the rule. How often will a player like Sanchez be available on a free? I would venture not often. This has happened only through Wenger's incompetence, letting his contract being wound down. If Ozil comes in the summer, he'll be free and united will pay him and his agent a huge signing on fee and a large wage, higher than anyone else. Everyone understands that a free player will be paid much more because every other club will often him a lot more than the usual wage.

4. Tel (they/them)

Tel (they/them) Sucky’s Bailiff

Didn't Fergie 'give' Rooney £250k a week then demand the same for himself?

Christiansmith likes this.
  5. Tel (they/them)

We should also consider that we have not allowed City to further strengthen their grip on top spot for the foreseeable future, we have/will sign the proven PL striker, they won't, they take the defeat on this one, they haven't managed to bully the player into playing for their manufactured club. Sanchez has chosen to join us over them and they ironically start crying about money.

We have a responsibility to operate within our means and thats all.

6. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

I thought similar today.

It's like this deal is being done primarily to stop City having him. Which makes sense as they'd be over the hill and gone if they added Sanchez to Aguero and Jesus.

It's got some negatives to the deal, his wages and holding back the likes of Rashford and Lingard for a while, but there are also plenty positives.

Just wish the **** would sign sharpish so we can move on.

7. glazerfodder

glazerfodder Well-Known Member

We've fu**ed City - no further explanation required.................. the pounds and zeros become incidental to the plot - City thought there were thoughts of love from Pep, these thoughts alone would bring them a player they have coveted since summer....... but the reality is, money is the motivating factor these days and thanks to Mr Trump, commerce in Glazerland is booming, our wonderful owners have just got massive tax-breaks announced for later this year, so they will need less from the club to service their (US leveraged debt) we can spend this sort of money all year long without worrying about FFP

8. Christiansmith

Spot on.

In fact we could say we've done the premiership a favour. Did all the other clubs and fans really want City to strengthen further? And dominate the league for the next few years.

As for the money, yes it will cost the GGs some money and the dividends they are extracting from the club will be reduced by a few millions next year. My heart bleeds for the poor men <wah> . But whichever you cut it, United have got one over City who thought they had the deal sewn up. Just as Chelsea thought they had the deal sewn up with Lukaku. Pinching a player from another club like this was never going to be cheap. Ferguson managed to get top players through his powers of persuasion and their desire to play for a dominant club. This is no longer the case. Neymar moves from Barcelona to PSG for £200m. Affection for the game or a great club with a massive history? Messi staying at Barcelona for 500k a week through love of the club? Mbappe going for £160m+ at the age of 19 but what has he achieved yet?

The reality is that football has changed. The players with that bit extra are superstars. With superstar status and income. Can you imagine how much a hoddle or Cantona would cost today in fees and wages? United were extra fortunate to get Cantona for a pittance and the class of 92 coming through. Once in a lifetime events. But Ferguson and United 's unwillingness to match Chelsea and City have seen the club fall behind well before his retirement. United are now willing to match these clubs on the transfer market. This had to happen. Just like Bayern, Real and Barcelona have no qualms about exercising their financial muscle.

Style likes this.
  9. Christiansmith

Yep, Did any United fan really think that he was worth £300k a week in 2014 under Moyes? When he had one year of his contract left and threatening to move to City? Yet I thought we had no option than to give in to his ransom - sorry wage demands. This is because a transfer to City at that time when United were already in difficulty would have had massive symbolic significance. He and his agent knew that.

We will be paying £350k basic for Sanchez and extras for image rights etc. Rooney had no resale value at that time. Sanchez improves our team, deprives another and we will have a player currently worth £80-£90m in our books. Still a brave decision for United to fork out such amounts. Didn't many question the amounts paid for Pogba at the time? £89m and massive wages ? Does anyone think now the fee and wages were significantly out of order?

Tel (they/them) likes this.
  10. gav81

gav81 Active Member

Yes, Rooney became our top earner with his new contract in 2010 (I'm reading it was £180k a week rather than £250k). It made sense since he had played a lead role in winning three PL titles, the CL, had finished the last campaign with 34 goals and was named Barclays player of the season. I'd say he had earnt it and was possibly our most important player at the time. I'm sure our other players respected his contribution and looked up to Rooney.

I just wonder what have Lukaku, Pogba or Sanchez done for United to deserve £250k, £290k or £350k per week?

I should say I didn't agree with Rooney's pay hike in 2014. He was on the wane by then and was at an impasse with Fergie. I blame Moyes and Woodhead for that.

King Shergar likes this.

11. gav81

gav81 Active Member

Yes. I don't like any player at United or agents like Raiola who are only in it for the money. Some say it's the norm these days, whereas I'd say it's the norm at United. We are the ones giving in to player/agent demands and pushing the boundaries to new and ridiculous levels.

Anyway, has Sanchez been confirmed yet? :emoticon-0102-bigsm

Last edited: Jan 20, 2018
  12. Tel (they/them)

All before the adidas deal as well. We operate within our means and that's the only responsibility we must have.

13. King Shergar

King Shergar Well-Known Member

Not yet.

It does amaze me how drawn out these transfer negotiations always are. Surely it should just be a few agents and board members sat in a room for half hour.

glazerfodder likes this.
  14. gav81

gav81 Active Member

I'm not sure why but supposedly it all got very complicated because the deal involves Sanchez going one way and Mkhi going the other. I wouldn't deal with these people if I wanted to part ex my car :emoticon-0102-bigsm

15. glazerfodder

glazerfodder Well-Known Member

It seems to me from all the press and particularly quotes from Wenger that their end of the deal is pretty much done, the delay is most likely down to Mikki's agent trying to wring out better terms from Arsenal

16. Christiansmith

I can't blame him. He didn't ask to move. United wanted to swap him for Sanchez. Why wouldn't he squeeze the best deal possible from Arsenal?

Diego likes this.
  17. Christiansmith

Sanchez and Mkhitarian swap deal agreed and the players are having medical with their respective clubs this weekend.

Sanchez valued at £35m which is the price for Mkhi. He will compete with lingard, mata, and Martial for one of the three positions behind Lukaku.

18. Christiansmith

Could not agree more. When the dust settles and the money/contracts issues are clarified, we will be left with these facts:

A top player and goal scorer coveted by City and Pep will not go there to make them even stronger.

United will have strengthened themselves with a player they needed.

We've strengthened ourselves at the expense of City (and Arsenal).

That's it. The fact that we may have paid a kings ransom to do this is incidental. The United executives are expert at making money. Every massively expensive purchase they've managed to exploit and get even more money. I've never worried about the financial health of the club and GG's dividends. I am not going to ****ing start now.

glazerfodder likes this.
  19. Swarbs

Swarbs Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Pretty much.

Imagine if it had been the other way round and City had smashed us out of the water with massive wages. The media would have pulled out the same old "Utd can no longer compete with the new money" stories they have been running since we lost out on Robben in 2004.

The simple fact is the money at the top of the game is now so big that you have to pay through the nose to get the best player, and take something of a punt doing it. Particularly when you are the richest club in the world and everyone knows it. The alternative is to be like Arsenal, continually haggling wages down, watching your best players leave, and clinging on to the top table by your fingernails every year until the inevitable slide into mediocrity.

Yes the numbers get a bit more obscene every year, but that is the price you have to pay for competing at the top, in the absence of a top quality manager like SAF of course.

glazerfodder and Christiansmith like this.
  20. Shwan71

Shwan71 Active Member

have to say though with too many egos in City .. and wage demand of Sanchez ... City move could had been the sensible one as one of their strength is they play as a team .. look to us.. we got Sanchez but now Pogba want to match his wage, the rest of players will ask a raise sure.. that could leave many unhappy players in the team .. let us see the damage on team unity ..