1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

VAR

Discussion in 'Hull City' started by DJBlackandamberarmy(No4), Aug 9, 2019.

1. Tickton Tiger.

Tickton Tiger. Well-Known Member

And the limp wristed slow hand clap like they do at Wimbledon ( tennis)

If there had been VAR when City were last in the Prem we'd have finished mid table.

HHH likes this.
  2. Oregon Tiger

Oregon Tiger Well-Known Member

What do Value Added Resellers have to do with football?

3. Oregon Tiger

Oregon Tiger Well-Known Member

with the occasional cut to Rachel Riley.

Edelman and HHH like this.
  4. Barchullona

Barchullona Well-Known Member

Certainly nothing to do with football clubs with the Allams in charge.

5. Chazz Rheinhold

Chazz Rheinhold Well-Known Member

Refs got it wrong there and so has VAR!! Blatant cheating by the Newcastle player on Kane.

6. Cortez91

Cortez91 Moderator
    Forum Moderator

There was an obvious penalty in the game earlier between Bournemouth and Man City and VAR didn’t give it either.

Neville said on MNF last week that the problem with our version of VAR will be the referees behind the screen won’t want to overrule the referees on the pitch on the subjective calls like penalties and red cards and that’s exactly what is happening so far.

7. City1904

City1904 Well-Known Member

They said before the season started it has to be a clear and obvious error, but then how do you define a clear and obvious error? It's subjective, and I feel VAR is pointless when you add subjective issues into the equation.

Unlike others on this thread I don't mind VAR in theory if you limit it's use to definitive situations, such as offsides. To me there is a clear ruling with that, you are onside or offside. Part of your body is beyond the last defender you are offside, no issue with that going to a review. But anything else for me is pointless.

8. Cortez91

Cortez91 Moderator
    Forum Moderator

They’ve got thresholds or something to decide but apparently the thresholds are too high (97%). I didn’t really read into it but they’re expected to be changed part-way through the season as there were 10 subjective calls in the first twenty decisions and none of them were overturned.

9. Stan City Rocker

Stan City Rocker Active Member

So using your offside theory, just employ defenders with size 2 boots and attackers will never be onside. Unless you can find forwards equally small feet. The Japanese could become world leaders in the development of young players. Let’s go back to obvious ‘daylight’ rule instead of having 3 twats watching telly 300 miles away measuring images on screen with vernier callipers eh?

PLT likes this.
  10. City1904

I am basing it on the existing offside rule, I am not a fan of it either but based on the current offside rule, it can be definitive. The world moves on, and I am not saying I agree with it, but it does and VAR is clearly here to stay. So unfortunately your idea of going backwards won't happen, however, I believe limiting VAR is definitely an option and giving them offsides to deal with is one clear area that it could work based on existing rules.

Changing offside rules is a completely different debate. To state it is my offside theory is wrong, it is the current rules. I didn't make them up.

11. Barchullona

Have only so many reviews allowed. That enabled England to win as replays showed Stokes was clearly LBW but Australia had run out of reviews.

desfrog likes this.
  12. PLT

PLT Well-Known Member

Offsides aren't black and white though. There's a lot of ambiguity as we've seen in the first few weeks already.

For a start, there's a limitation on the technology based on the frame rate of the cameras used. Yes we're talking centimetres, but that's the margin by which they keep calling people offside and chalking off goals. They're trying to make it seem definitive by drawing these lines on the screen but theres a human decision as to which part of the body to draw the line against. And at times, the lines don't seem to be level with anything in particular.

13. City1904

There isn't ambiguity in the rule, this isn't therefore a technology issue it is the implementation of it. There is no human decision in which part of the body to draw the line against. Clearly there is limitations as of today, but in general this is a part of the game that isn't open to interpretation.

14. John Ex Aberdeen now E.R.

John Ex Aberdeen now E.R. Well-Known Member

In the beginning, I was in favour of VAR's being brought in, but now I've seen it in action I am going off the idea. It seems that players now when the score are starting to be hesitant about celebrating, which is beginning to affect the viewing experience. As discussed the offside decisions are still questionable, and I just feel it is starting to affect the flow of the game. Goal-line technology is fine, but the rest should be left to the ref IMO.

15. Barchullona

It will affect the viewing experience for fans in the stadium more than those watching on TV. But in the modern world of football the experience of fans paying a lot of money on travel and entrance to games is not the major consideration for those in charge of the game in this and other matters.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2019
  16. PLT

PLT Well-Known Member

It is an entirely human decision where to draw the line. Arms and hands are not considered, so where exactly does the arm stop? That's for a human to interpret. You might argue that this is a very minor nitpick, but it's VAR that is taking it to this minute level of detail and if it wants to do that it should be able to stand up against scrutiny at the same level of detail.

17. John Ex Aberdeen now E.R.

John Ex Aberdeen now E.R. Well-Known Member

18. DJBlackandamberarmy(No4)

DJBlackandamberarmy(No4) Well-Known Member

Best use for it

Kempton, Wilf Taylor, PLT and 3 others like this.
  19. Plum

Plum Well-Known Member

Words of wisdom from Brendan Rodgers...

Leicester City manager Brendan Rodgers speaking to BBC Match of the Day: "My feeling on VAR is always it will either go for or against you."

Well I never.

20. askewshair

askewshair Well-Known Member

But 'obvious daylight' will create the exact same argument, just a few inches further forward.