1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

VAR

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by Vincemac, Jan 17, 2018.

1. Vincemac

Vincemac Well-Known Member

Yeh but the tool will not be used correctly
    The referee will pick and chose what he deems needs to be looked at
    The referee has the final word
    Or we will be going round in circles checking the vid every inomaly

2. monty987

monty987 Well-Known Member

I knew that he would give a penalty straight away. The Italy player was going down before he got stood on, so just wait for the world cup ! Had that system been in place 30+ years ago, we would have drawn with Argentina in 1986, Beckham would not have been sent off, THAT Lampard goal against Germany in 2014 would have stood, and who knows what else over the years. We don't want that in league football - stopping and starting matches will gan on for 2 hours at that rate.

3. cumbrianmackem

cumbrianmackem Well-Known Member

I can't make my mind up about VAR.
    There are times when the Ref needs a hand decision wise, but are there guidelines for them to know when to ask for help or, as it seems, are they asking help on virtually everything?
    I didn't watch Tuesdays match as I can't watch England when there's some meaning to a game never mind a friendly, so no idea if it was a penalty or not.
    As for stop starting the game, it doesn't seem to bother the rugby. I'm definatley on the fence with this one.

4. Brian Storm

Brian Storm Well-Known Member

It won't be, it's shame, it's a simple system which demands nothing but simple competence so it's doomed to fail.

Vincemac likes this.
  5. clockstander

clockstander Well-Known Member

I watched the England game and thought that the right decision was made in the end. It took a minute or so, but players take longer to leave the pitch when it suits them. They should be ordered to take the shortest route to the touch line and the time saved would help the game to flow. The VAR process would be simpler if the video evidence was just drawn to the refs attention verbally rather than consulting the pitch side monitor. I think that it is the way forward eventually, but I can see the counter arguments as made on here.

Vincemac likes this.
  6. Vincemac

Wasn’t needed yesterday
    Everyone in the ground knew that it was a penalty, but the referee has the final say always.
    We don’t need VAR !

7. leez

leez Well-Known Member

Without var , the big clubs will always have that 12th man. why would nobody want a fair game.

ok maybe needs fine tuned, and slows the game down . well the ball is only in ply about 60 % anyway. so is that value for money.

8. Vincemac

But there will only be var in games wher money is concerned
    Any other games the referee will make the final decision.
    Ok goal line it’s needed only there though.

9. Hefty fullback

Hefty fullback Well-Known Member

It's nice to get it right, but var is a slow process. It seems like technology could do a better job than the linesmen with offsides calls though.

10. Brian Storm

Last touch technology would revolutionize footy. Something with a chip in the ball and on the players so that technology could rule last touch in an instant sending a decision to the refs smart watch. That would speed the game up and could counter delays in other technology. Off side technology as mentioned here could also produce instant decisions would speed the game up.

Need to take as much out of the refs hands as possible, more they do that the less dissent an official receives which would also speed the game up.

You could even stamp out diving with chip and senor technology a to give instant decision. It could actually calculate the physics of a foul/dive off setting the pressure of the contact against the speed and angle of the collision to calculate the likely hood whether the player was fouled or dived and it could do it in an instant.

Var needs fine tuning, i'd leave it out for the moment and focus on the avenues which eliminate human decision, then look at things like Var which provides evidence where computers could never make a decision, cause there will always be incidents computers can't decide on unfortunately.

11. Vincemac

Premiership
    Knock it back
    Load of crap

12. Burly Hurley

Burly Hurley Well-Known Member

Not our problem anymore mate <wah>

Vincemac likes this.
  13. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

VAR

Vince
    Against
    Replays

14. Burly Hurley

Burly Hurley Well-Known Member

Vince
    Abroad
    Regularly

15. Brian Storm

It like i've just woken up 2, 4, 6 and 8 weeks ago<laugh>

16. E.T. Fairfax

E.T. Fairfax Well-Known Member

A penalty was awarded after players had already left the pitch for half-time in Mainz's Bundesliga win against relegation rivals Freiburg on Monday.

Referee Guido Winkmann called both sides back from the dressing room after consulting the video assistant referee (VAR) system and penalising Freiburg for handball.

Mainz midfielder Pablo de Blasis scored the penalty to put the hosts 1-0 up.

"It leaves a bitter taste," Freiburg sporting director Jochen Saier said.

Speaking to Eurosport at half-time, he added that they had to "accept it with a heavy heart".

"We were under the impression that when the referee blows for half-time that's it," said Saier.

The second half was delayed by fans throwing toilet paper onto the pitch, which was not related to the penalty decision but instead a protest against Bundesliga fixtures being played on Monday nights.

De Blasis scored a second on 78 minutes to secure victory, taking Mainz above Freiburg on goal difference and eight points clear of automatic relegation, while putting the visitors into the relegation play-off spot in 16th.

Mainz initially had the penalty appeal turned down after right-back Daniel Brosinski's cross deflected off Freiburg centre-back Marc-Oliver Kempf's hand and was saved by keeper Alexander Schwolow.

As the players departed the pitch, Winkmann was told to consult VAR and ran over to the other side of the pitch to watch the replay on a monitor.

Winkmann overturned the decision and awarded the hosts a penalty before having to recall the entire Freiburg side and the handful of Mainz players who had left the pitch.

Following a delay of over six minutes De Blasis scored the penalty in the bottom left corner and Winkmann blew again for half-time, during which the unfortunate Kempf was substituted.

De Blasis added a lucky second as his shot rolled over the line after hitting the inside of the post, with Schwolow out of his goal having passed the ball straight to Mainz midfielder Robin Quaison.

European football writer Andy Brassell on BBC Radio 5 live

Potentially one of the most vital goals in the fight at the bottom, but a new low for VAR.

The ref maybe shouldn't have sent them off as quickly, it depends on how quickly VAR contacted him.

The problem is not the technology, it is the process. I can't understand why referees are involved in the decision-making process at all. If it is to be used for clear and obvious errors, surely the VAR has to tell the referee what the decision is.

In this case you've got a couple thousand fans off to the bar and they come back thinking it is 0-0.

I still think the penalty is debatable.

17. The Norton Cat

The Norton Cat Well-Known Member

That is just ridiculous. All of this "VAR is just a tool" stuff is ridiculous. A sledgehammer is just a tool but you wouldn't use it to a ice a cake, would you? The tool is not appropriate to the job it's being used for. It can't be applied properly. Football is a far to fluid game for video replays to work in this way. It's fine in games such as rugby, cricket, tennis, ice hockey etc where there are natural breaks in play but it doesn't work in football. Even when the ball is out of play, the game doesn't wholly stop and its not so long ago that the football authorities were advocating keeping the game flowing through better use of the advantage rule and allowing quick free kicks etc. The use of VAR makes a mockery of that.
    FIFA etc would do far better by spending time, money, and effort on making sure that referees aren't subject to bribery and being influenced by clubs and/or third parties and accepting that human error is part of the game than crowbarring this use of technology into a game that doesn't need it.

farnboromackem likes this.
  18. Vincemac

Goal line only
    If it has to be
    Otherwise nowt

19. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

Haven't seen it but according to the match report Otamendi gave away a pen because a shot hit his arm while he was moving it behind his back which as far as I'm concerned is the opposite of a handball. The pitch side monitor was broken but apparently after three minutes of external advice the ref felt it was best to overturn his decision of a corner and give the pen.

I think this was both the wrong decision and the wrong use of VAR. Who are the people watching the replays, professional refs? Not that it would mean much if they were but if they aren't they shouldn't be allowed to overrule the ref.

20. Nads

Nads Well-Known Member

I watched the game mate and wait till you see it, scandal of a penalty decision.

For me, VAR is ruining the game, controversy has always and should always be part of it.

Goal line and red cards only for me. The amount of disallowed goals for minimal touches is a scandal l, it’s a contact sport. Chiellini for Juve tonight was playing VAR.

I ****ing hate it.