1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The Olympics

Discussion in 'F1 Off Topic' started by El_Bando, Jul 28, 2012.

1. El_Bando

El_Bando Can't remember, where was I?
    Forum Moderator

Morning All,

Anybody watch the opening ceramony last last? I thought it was incredible! Not on Par with china 2008 but they went a different direction and made a whole story of it. Makes you very proud to be British!

What were your favourite bits?

What sports are you looking forward too?

Are you going to any events?

2. Max Whiplash

Max Whiplash Well-Known Member

I have been very cynical about the Olympics but I thought it was a wonderful spectacle: ingenious, humorous, moving, "bonkers". All very eccentric and British.

I'm not keen on Mr. Bean so that was the lowlight for me but it wasn't bad, just my personal taste. I loved the forging of the rings and the cheeky NHS sequence. The flame-lighting and the cauldron were particularly special, although I'd been hoping for a gang of rioters to be called up to light it.

3. di Fredsta!

di Fredsta! Well-Known Member

For the amount of money that was spent on it I expected it to be much much better. If money wasnt a problem then good job. But I feel this is the reason we're in a recession and no young people can get jobs!

4. Kyle?

Kyle? New Member

I thought it was boring and silly, it should have just focused on Mrs Thatcher showing the Argies who's boss.

5. TomTom94

TomTom94 Well-Known Member

I get the feeling that Danny Boyle was perhaps trying to throw a few ironies under the radar, the most notable one was the proud display of the NHS doctors which Lansley plans to cut...

I loved the opening ceremony, even if we couldn't have played into any more British stereotypes. The lighting of the torch by the seven athletes plays into the "legacy" aspect of the Olympics and ensured that the lighting was about the flame as a symbol rather than the person lighting it.

Shame that we could only wheel out the Arctic Monkeys and Paul McCartney though...

6. El_Bando

Forum Moderator

I did think Brit Pop didnt really get a good shout out compared to the other music eras. just Blurs song 2

7. Max Whiplash

Max Whiplash Well-Known Member

A blast of Pulp's Common People would have gone down a treat but I'm glad there was no turgid Oasis. Anyway, wasn't Britpop more of a media thing than anything actually based in music?

Actually, what really would have been good, "Medication's what you need if you wanna be a record breaker" by the late Roy Castle. One for the oldies maybe...

8. Kyle?

Kyle? New Member

I suppose the new wave of british heavy metal didn't get a look in at all? Never mind that it spawned bands like Iron Maiden and Saxon, who are vastly superior to any britpop crap.

9. El_Bando

Forum Moderator

nope but Dizzy Rascal got a good look in....

please log in to view this image

10. Big Ern

Big Ern Lord, Master, Guru & Emperor

A bunch of drunks fighting in the street watched by a group of under-aged teenaged mums while a load of illegal immigrants held up their welfare cheques would've been a more accurate portrayal of british culture tbh

11. Kyle?

Kyle? New Member

<laugh>.

12. Kyle?

Kyle? New Member

<laugh> sad but true

13. TomTom94

TomTom94 Well-Known Member

This. They missed out ska as well, no Madness or Specials? They skipped straight from I think it was Sweet Dreams to Firestarter. Quite a lot of music left out there...

14. genjigonzales

genjigonzales Active Member

Is this Chinese girl doped up to the eyeballs then, or what? It doesn't seem at all sporting or justifiable to be accusing her of drug use without solid evidence. Maybe she's just a good swimmer...?

EDIT: it appears she tested clean so the American coach should really be sent home and the BBC pundit who cast aspersions should be taken off-air, IMO.

15. Sportydan

Sportydan Active Member

please log in to view this image

Its sad to think the pressure on the likes of China, Korea to preform. Its a sad pursuit of power

16. Forza Bianchi

Forza Bianchi Well-Known Member

The American guy is a dick, can't handle the fact that she's just better than everyone else. It's a shame that some people weren't able to sit back and appreciate her talent.

17. u408379965

u408379965 Well-Known Member

Agreed. The American coach didn't find it "distressing" when Phelps was wiping the floor with everyone. And probably not when 15 year old American Katie Ledecky dominated the 800m freestyle last night. The bitter old twat should be sacked.

18. Delete Me

Delete Me Well-Known Member

So many number 1 fingers by the British athletes, so little hate!

19. The Iceman

The Iceman Member

We're number 1! We're number 1!

20. Big Ern

Big Ern Lord, Master, Guru & Emperor

maybe the Americans know that the only way to dominate is by cheating, which would answer the question as to how they've had so many..........