1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic The Golfing Thread

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by crumble bungle, May 26, 2016.

1. farnboromackem

farnboromackem Well-Known Member

Personally can't stand the Masters; my least favourite Major. Epitomises everything wrong in the game....calling spectators Patron's...I mean WTF.

Will I be watching it... absolutely. Mcillroy in good form but effs up at Augusta.... still a massive contender. Woods romanticism in sport at its best...the chip in at the 16th was one of the best shots ever in the tournament. Dustin Johnson a massive hitter but the course rarely suits him. Love to see Justin Rose win but when the likes of Danny Willets wins the tournament, like all others is a lottery. Who is my money on....Tommy Fleetwood may be a good each way bet. Playing very well and very consistent.

2. Sunderpitt

Sunderpitt Well-Known Member

IMHO The Masters has lost the plot...in order to protect the course and not have lots of birdies they have made the greens like marble.... difficult to stop an iron shot on the green and nearly impossible to put on.
    So I reckon this results in the winners and close runners up not necessarily being the best golfers, but the luckiest!

farnboromackem likes this.
  3. master-simpson

master-simpson Well-Known Member

If your good enough you make your own luvk

Bart

4. Ozzymac

Ozzymac Well-Known Member

Just found this thread. Not a very good golfer with a handicap of 26.

My local course is Willunga in South Australia. Just had the Willunga Open where i cleaned up in D grade.

Anyway, came home and the missus asked me if i was a champion did that make her a WAG? For future reference telling her she was a D grade WAG was not my smartest move.

Here's the link for my local course https://www.willungagolf.com.au/the-course

master-simpson and Nordic like this.
  5. flandersmackem

flandersmackem Well-Known Member

Beautiful looking course there Ozzy.... Plenty of trees to lose the ball. I play at Saadiyat Golf Club in Abu Dhabi, where you have trees we have bunkers...hundreds of the feckers. I'm playing off an 8 right now, but as I get older, I lose distance, I expect tis handicap to go up in the coming months.
    https://www.sbgolfclub.ae

6. Nordic

Nordic Well-Known Member

When did Saadiyat open, fella? Played the Abu Dhabi national a few times, which was a really good knock back in the day (2005/6) when i lived out that way. Used to be a member of Nad Al Sheba club in Dubai, which is no longer.

Currently at https://hamptoncourtgolf.co.uk/book...MIi-XYpYyy5QIVDUTTCh3oQQadEAAYASAAEgI6M_D_BwE

A decent, 'affordable' members club for London. Drains well so plays all winter, which is a bonus. Hopefully next year back into single figures as I'll be able to get junior along for youth club golf and get some more time in on the range/course.

7. flandersmackem

Not sure Nordic...but someone did mention it was opened about 9 / 10 years ago. Stunning condition right now. I play the National a couple of times a month, also play the Majilis and Els courses in Dubai. The group I play with had an away day recently at Al Zorah GC in Ajman...just a stunning place to play the game.

8. Ozzymac

Looks like a really nice course.

As to the trees at Willunga i'm on a first name basisi with all of them :emoticon-0111-blush

Beautiful setting in the middle of the wineries and only 5 minutes from the coast. South Australia is a bit of a hidden gem down under.

9. Ozzymac

I'm just not consistent.

I can strike the ball well but it's a bit haphazard. The other week i was 2 over off the stick through 8 holes and then had an 11,14,12,13 in a row.

I think it's the beer

10. farnboromackem

farnboromackem Well-Known Member

Looks immense...not sure I'd want to be in those trees much with all the wildlife out there. Enjoy the game and if you can practice, practice your short game. It's incredible how quickly your handicap comes down.

Not only do you give me **** scores in the prediction league you also make me very jealous of your golf club.:emoticon-0102-bigsm That course looks incredible:emoticon-0148-yes:

flandersmackem likes this.

11. Ozzymac

Cheers mate.

The 17th is a monster of a hole at approx 550 meters.

As to the wildlife, snakes will run away if they here you coming. Mrs O often gives me a hard time when i come home with cuts on my legs from hunting balls. We get a lot of Eastern Browns around here (had one in my back yard last year) and they get a tad aggressive during mating season.

Funny story (although i guess you'd have to be there to appreciate it fully). We were playing at another local course and one of the guys has played a wedge just to the left of the green. As we walked up we see an eastern brown 3 foot from his ball (of course we told him he didn't get relief :emoticon-0102-bigsm ). He then proceeded to throw about 8 balls at the snake to get it to move but the bugger just stayed there.
    One of the other (braver) souls amongst us ventured closer and eventually discovered that it was a fake snake placed there by the green keepers to kip the friggin birds away.

You can only imagine the ribbing he got at the 19th after that :emoticon-0102-bigsm

12. Ozzymac

Got a corporate day toady at https://www.blackwoodgolf.club/

Weather is forecast at 16 degrees with a couple of mm of rain and 40-50km hour gusty winds.

Typical bloody weather, it was 36 and calm yesterday

13. Sheep Farmer

Sheep Farmer Well-Known Member

Been nice at Barnard Castle today mind

14. BumbleBee

BumbleBee Active Member

15. Ozzymac

BumbleBee likes this.
  16. flandersmackem

Playing at Saadiyat today tomorrow at Yas Links... I’ll miss this place when I leave

17. Nordic

Nordic Well-Known Member

Off to Vilamoura for a weeks holiday tomorrow. The Mrs has given me permission to play 3 rounds while I am out there.... bloody expensive but mid-20s temperatures, can't bloody wait.

18. Peterleeyacker

Peterleeyacker Well-Known Member

Played Castle Eden yesterday afternoon. The course is start drying out after being submerged over the last week.
    16 of us going to Gullane on Sunday morning. Playing no.2 on the Sunday and No.1 on the Monday

19. flandersmackem

O
    Officially jealous.... enjoy

Whittylad likes this.
  20. Sunderpitt

Sunderpitt Well-Known Member

Good news is that I am going up to Crieff next week it has a great golf course..

The bad news is that we are taking the grandkids and staying at the Hydro, I dare not take my clubs? (borrow some up there)?