1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

THAT Rickie Lambert Interview

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by nick_obee, Aug 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jose Fonte baby

Jose Fonte baby Well-Known Member

Think that was around the time we won 3 in a row and people were getting ahead of themselves and thought we would finish top 10.

2. Craig smith

Craig smith Well-Known Member

Hey let's be honest,Cortese stroked their egos,whether Lambert,lallana lovren whoever has got any beef about Saints it's not their problem anymore coz they chose to walk away.
    What Lambert might have forgot is he's got where he is with Liverpool because of how Saints turned him around as a player. Other than that I'm not really bothered if he or any the others have any grievances about OUR club,if he cared that much he would have stayed. Yes I know it's Liverpool and all that,but players only think of the smaller picture. Move on onwards and upwards.

3. Channonfodder

Channonfodder Rebel without a clue.....

Interesting. I have no issues with the Mirror piece, it's pretty well verbatim what Rickie said, that the fans should blame the owners. Hmmmm.
    Players have a short (and very lucrative) career. Saying to them that we have a secure, sustainable plan to take Saints into Europe over the next 8-10 years won't compare to a "let's spin the wheel" and do it in three years approach. Of course they would be quite happy to take the risk as the rewards are enormous and the risk to them personally, non-existent.
    It's a different plan than Cortese's that we have now engaged upon, but I don't see it as lacking in ambition in the slightest.

4. SAINTDON13

SAINTDON13 Well-Known Member

It has been tweeted that Rickie sent a note to Southampton FC to apologise for the Press taking what he said and turning it around to mean something he didn't say! Are we surprised that they did that?

5. Beef

Beef Well-Known Member

Tweeted by who?

6. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

That sounds more like Rickie...I can imagine he was mortified. After all his move was amicable.

7. Sotonist

Sotonist Active Member

i saw that. looked like a nobody and no reference.

edit: @walldweller

8. Beef

Beef Well-Known Member

So made up then?

9. Sotonist

Sotonist Active Member

10. fran-MLs little camera

Whether he did or not, I bet he was annoyed that one comment was turned into a large headline suggesting he was slagging off the Saints board.

11. Sotonist

Sotonist Active Member

some of his previous tweets are interesting reading, true or not.

12. ......loading......

......loading...... 25 undefeated

Who cares? He is one of "them" now and will never again be one of "us".

13. Schad

Schad Well-Known Member

Depends on whether the aims that have been stated publicly are those spoken about within the halls of St. Mary's, I suppose. When Ralph initially took over, one of his first statements involved rubbishing the notion of pushing for the CL as above our station; some time later, it was revised to a goal of getting to Europe in relatively short order.

There are three pieces of information that we're missing, really. What the players were/are being told by the board regarding our intentions; what Poch was told by the board; what the players were told by Poch about his own conversations with Les and Ralph. It could be that Poch misrepresented their intent, leading them to believe that the board is aiming lower than their public statements would suggest...but it could also be that the board is aiming lower.

14. fran-MLs little camera

No football board club ever aims low...Saints are still intending to finish as high as possible, with the Europa and Champions' Leagues as targets. The difference is probably time scale...Nicola would throw every penny of someone else's money at achieving it in the short term, whereas the board want to run the club sustainably and get there in the longer term. There is no sign that they won't invest money, but that money will have to largely come from commercial income, Sky money and player sales.

15. Le Tissier's Laces

Le Tissier's Laces Well-Known Member

Yep. That's how I see this too.

16. Piebacca

Piebacca Well-Known Member

It's a lot more true to the original vision of ML.

17. Sotonist

Sotonist Active Member

the rickie bit for those who don't want to twitter.
    here's his earlier replies which don't show unless you click on the tweets and replies tab

edit: fixed to read forwards for my sake as much as anyone elses.

18. ChilcoSaint

ChilcoSaint What a disgrace
    Forum Moderator

Totally agree, in fact I just posted this on the Transfer Rumour thread:

The irony is of course that since Markus and Nicola brought us out of administration the financial buzzword in Southampton Football Club has been "sustainability". In what universe were we ever going to go from the N Power Championship to the UEFA Champions League in less than 3 years while maintaining financial sustainability and complying with FFP? The difference now, with Katharina's own hand on the purse strings, is that the growth will be controlled, but still going in the same direction as before. Rickie should have realised that rather than just jumping on the bandwagon with his fellow escapees.

19. Saints_Swede

Saints_Swede Member

Can admit I was unhappy at first with the board when things happened this summer but the more you hear (and not only from here but from different sources) I´m happy that things did happen and that those players are out of our club now.

I can really embrace the new team quicker now and if there´s anyone else left that feels like those who already left did they should be shown the door asap.

20. saintlyhero

saintlyhero Well-Known Member

Slight contradiction from Lambert when he said they left because Pochettino left and the board didn't retain him, yet he praised the appointment of Koeman. So why didn't the players stick around to see who would replace MP?
    Saints clearly reached their financial glass ceiling and their would have been no repeat net spend of £30m. I obviously have no idea what the budget would have been without player sales, but it was clearly a figure which Pochettino believed would not allow him to move the club forward. Spurs have far greater resources and he made his decision. The rest snow balled from there (Pochettino bad mouthing the board to justify him leaving, big wages offered to our players etc)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.