1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

THAT Rickie Lambert Interview

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by nick_obee, Aug 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Channonfodder

Channonfodder Rebel without a clue.....

Having had the chance to see the interview (thanks Jasper), it is interesting the pause when asked about whether he fears for the club. It may be that he wanted to say more or it could be that he was unsure about our prospects. Hopefully he will have less to worry about after today's performance.

2. TheSecondStain

TheSecondStain Needs an early night

There's nothing wrong with the original link. It just wasn't set as a URL. [I've set it as such] But between the two of you we get to see that Rickie Lambert interview, which I certainly didn't see originally. Cheers.

On the subject of what Lambert says or tries to say, yes, I think he is choosing to pick his parts of the subject he wants to talk about and realising that he could offend or upset people if he persues the subject. We know 2 things about Lambert. 1] he's not a great talker, 2] he's actually a decent guy who wouldn't say boo to a goose.

I actually tried not like Rickie when he left, so angry was I that he had. It didn't work. I didn't and still don't really care that Liverpool was his boyhood club, and anyone can see that it is now a professional thing for him too. I didn't get aww-shucks and dewy-eyed by it. I've said before that I don't really give a **** about any rival football team, so Rickie's emotional motives don't really wash with me, in terms of playing for Liverpool. He could have stayed at Southampton, he knows it and it would have been wonderful if he had. I could even have dealt with that awful time when even Saints would have not renewed his contract, in a year or two. However, the decision was made early and good luck to him. Just not against a Saints team.

3. terrypaine

terrypaine Member

I have some respect for Lambert, but the main reason for the disintegration of the team was money, IMO. It was a gold rush, with players who'd been talked up by the press and fans simply wanting their reward - the EPL is a fat juicy pie and realistically the people at the table want more and more of it.

4. Archers Road

Archers Road Urban Spaceman

Yeah, I've also tried to not like Rickie, or even to just be indifferent to him. But he really is a thoroughly decent human being.

5. terrypaine

terrypaine Member

I agree and can't find it in my heart to really dislike the others who left. Bastards.

6. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

What a bloke. Adam you need to learn of him quickly.

I took those pauses just as someone who wanted to be very careful in what he said as e has so much respect for the club and the fans. Good bloke.

7. terrypaine

terrypaine Member

Fatletiss - what should Lallana learn exactly?

8. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

Some grace and class.

9. TheSecondStain

True.

Funnily enough, when I was watching that interview, I recalled what Rickie said about Lallana in an earlier interview. Mr Southampton, he called him, because he was the embodiment of Saints and it was all he was apparently interested in.

Yep, a Mr S without grace or class.

10. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

I remember the interview where Rickie said that and I thought at the time that Lallana looked uncomfortable with it. Not in a blushing sort of way which you might expect, but in an embarrassed way. I was surprised by it at the time as there was no warning at that time that he would leave. You will have to trust my girlie senses on this as I genuinely was disturbed by it. So only a few months ago, Adam was uncomfortable being Mr Southampton and Rickie was unaware of it.

11. terrypaine

terrypaine Member

So what are you saying Lallana should have done?

12. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

I know you weren't asking me, but I think he should have done everything behind closed doors...no dropping hints and whining in public. Unlike some, I wasn't bothered about his goodbye message in the Echo...he meant well, but most were too sensitive and angry to see that.

13. Le Tissier's Laces

Le Tissier's Laces Well-Known Member

Acted with more grace and class. Like Rickie did.

14. TheSecondStain

Don't have to Fran. I just tuned into my feminine side. All us modern men have one. Of course, you wouldn't have got the memo..! Yes, I also noticed he was very uncomfortable with the tag. He was practically squirming. It may well have been true in League One and The Championship, but by the time Lallana had got a sniff of the PL and then the England setup, Mark Clattenburg's words were becoming truer by the day.

15. hotbovril

hotbovril Well-Known Member

When Rickie said KL was surrounding herself with people that she thought would be good for the club I don't think that's a reference to Les as he's been here the whole time.

16. Le Tissier's Laces

#negativeKruegerreference

17. hotbovril

hotbovril Well-Known Member

#notsureireallyunderstandhowanyexecutiveinfluencestheplayersallthatmuchreallybutapparentlysomehave

18. terrypaine

terrypaine Member

But he's a professional footballer playing in a greed league. To expect "class", "decency", or "loyalty" from him or any other (and maybe Lambert is a welcome exception cos he's older) is as if you get angry about the behaviour of characters in soap operas. I won't say "get real", because that's offensive, but I think we should remember that the fact we support a club (and I'm a saints supporter) mustn't blind us to the fact that there are no longer any real links between that club and team with the local community.

19. Le Tissier's Laces

Shaw behaved better.
    Chambers behaved better.

20. laurab12

laurab12 Active Member

Young guys brought up through club.

Mind you so was Lallana so that kinda doesn't help.

Any truth in the rumours of him having his head turned while playing for england?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.