1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

New Manager Thread

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by Shepherd's Clearing, Jun 7, 2016.

1. NISaint

NISaint Well-Known Member

This is genuine question by the way that I've been asking myself the last few days, but how much further do you think we can realistically go? I'm of the opinion that with so many teams underperforming this season and with Leicester winning the league that the form isn't that strong. I could be wrong and I welcome criticism for saying so but had Liverpool and Chelsea for example played to their full potential would we even be in the Europa League next season? It's fair to assume that these teams will display a much improved effort next season (new, exciting managers, ridiculous transfers etc) and City and Man United could improve vastly which will push other teams down towards us.
    I think that Europa League really is our level and maintaining it, as we have done for two seasons now, is as good as we can hope for- realistically. That said, I don't want Moyes lol.

claytonsaint likes this.
  2. Osvaldorama

Osvaldorama Well-Known Member

It's all 'ifs, buts and maybes' though. Everyone thought Chelsea would stroll the league this year, and they were awful.

With so much change going on at every club, you could easily argue that we are in an even better position to take advantage this season.

3. Saintmagic

Saintmagic Well-Known Member

Liverpool would've made top four if Rodgers stayed I think. They would've gone out of the Europa much earlier and then not played kids for as many PL games as they did in the last 10 games or so.

I think we will do well to finish above City, Utd, Spurs, Arsenal, Liverpool, Chelsea and Everton next year as some are better than us anyway and ther isn't much difference between us and some of them, especially when you throw in Europa League

4. Schrodinger's Cat

Schrodinger's Cat Well-Known Member

Do you seriously think Everton are going to turn into top 6 challengers in one season just because they will have Koeman and a bit more money? The other six you mention maybe but there's no reason Saints can't stay ahead of the likes of Everton next season. If they lose Lukaku and Stones, they could have £160m to spend but that will buy a lot less than it would have done before the new TV deal money - probably 5 to 6 decent internationals and a vouple of prospects. One season won't be enough time to get them bedded in and gelling to the extent that they will be challenging for Europe...in my opinion obviously

5. saintrichie123

saintrichie123 Well-Known Member

RDB has rejected Lazio apparently, anyone else heard this?

6. TheSecondStain

TheSecondStain Needs an early night

Help me with RDB. AVB I know. ;)

You mean FDB.?

7. Le Tissier's Laces

Le Tissier's Laces Well-Known Member

Ronald de Boer. Although it's Frank I believe we're referring to.

8. Lff

Lff Well-Known Member

Did Liverpool and Chelsea not play to their full potential? Did we, certainly in one month? Did Newcastle?
    I would say that ultimately the league table doesn't lie. Everyone ended up where they were on merit. You could argue that Chelsea had better individual players than us (and they do in some, not all) positions but that would be ignoring the team element. As Leicester have proved, that can mean more than the individual parts that make it up.

9. Saintmagic

Saintmagic Well-Known Member

Everton, in my view, are very similar if not slightly better/worse than us. Looking at our squads I think it is very similar in terms of quality, and would have said this before Koeman left or the new owner arrived. They will benefit from not being in Europe in terms of league finish this season and I think we will do well to finish above them

10. TheSecondStain

I don't think any team plays to its full potential. Probably nowhere near it. I think it's fair to say that Leicester got closest last season, if we accept that their players are not of the same standard as other close competing teams. Pundits and experts talk about on paper potential, and Leicester were being touted as being around 16th of 20. The differences from paper potential can be made up from team form, manager and staff performance, and form of other teams at any given time.

The thing is, everyone plays as good as they do over 38 games and it is that, that got Leicester the League trophy and Newcastle, Norwich and Villa relegated. Did the best team win.? Under certain parameters, no. Did the worst teams lose.? Again similar, although I do think Villa [and possibly Norwich] were probably going to be relegated on paper as well.

11. Schrodinger's Cat

Schrodinger's Cat Well-Known Member

Yeah, I had forgotten about them not being in Europe...I still dont see them being a force though, more worried by West Ham to be honest

12. jacksk1

jacksk1 Well-Known Member

Is Tuchel not being touted about anywhere this time around?

I know he was mentioned quite a lot when Koeman was appointed (as he was out of a job then) and as he's now at Dortmund it's probably unlikely but even with Bayern changing managers he's surely still on a hiding to nothing in Germany and may just fancy a challenge elsewhere.....

13. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

I deleted all irrelevant parts of your post and cut to the most salient point.<laugh>

14. Le Tissier's Laces

No way he leaves Dortmund right now.

15. Saints_Alive

Saints_Alive Well-Known Member

I don't think we are ready for another Dutch Ronald yet...

Number 1 Jasper likes this.
  16. TheSecondStain

Well if AVB ever gets near the Black Box and the Recruitment and Analysis set-up at Staplewood he's going to think he's landed in statistical heaven. :)

17. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

He missed the word "always" and frankly I am surprised you didn't add it yourself :p

18. Le Tissier's Laces

Anyone know why Cocu isn't in the mix? Okay, I realise PSV are champions and in CL next season once again.

But money.

19. benditlikeabanana

benditlikeabanana Well-Known Member

RDB Ronald de Bastard

San Tejón likes this.
  20. Number 1 Jasper

Number 1 Jasper Well-Known Member

Any real news on the next manager ?