1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Mavrias

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by BackO'TheNet, Jul 3, 2013.

1. Dannyaccherini

Mavrias can aslo play at left back? WTF? a right footed winger, surely a type!

McClean at left back anyone?

2. Brian Storm

Brian Storm Well-Known Member

No from me mate he's a winger. We already have colback playing out of position there, why replace a problem with a problem?

Plenty of time to bring a LB in yet. We're not that desperate... yet. ha ha!

3. C19RK73

C19RK73 Red & White army!

Sailing a bit close to the wind though, hope we dont panic buy if all our targets opt for sunnier climbs

4. Nads

Nads Well-Known Member

I've suggested McLean could be a good LB, and I stand by it.

He does track, he does work, and he can tackle. With coaching, he could be great there. He's a **** winger.

5. C19RK73

C19RK73 Red & White army!

@SAFCsource
    Panathinaikos have replaced Sunderland bound Mavrias with Newcastle's Medhi Abeid. http://bit.ly/19v5GbK

6. MackemNomad

MackemNomad Member

He probably could PP, but in his head he can beat anyone down the wing. Can't see him wanting a change of roles

7. Poyet's Eleven

Poyet's Eleven Well-Known Member

Not for me

He'd get danced around by the likes of Lennon

and anyone cutting in from the right would have a field day

8. E.T. Fairfax

E.T. Fairfax Well-Known Member

9. Dannyaccherini

Although he has good potential, there is absolutely no need for us to be spending money on anyone other than a full back at the minute.

Cant say I am too bothered at all, we have enough wingers at present and cant seem to shift McClean to make way for this lad, get the full backs in PDC/Di Fanti!

10. EAga

EAga Member

For the love of God just sign him! I don't want to have McClean as backup!

11. Nads

Nads Well-Known Member

I think we are missing a trick here, the lad looks a real talent and the fee is a pittance.

We may well rue this in a couple of years time if he steps up, and even if he didn't make it in England, we'd see most of such a small fee back.

12. Dannyaccherini

True but you have to put things into perspective, we dont need him. Add to that we havnt got loads of money and Ellis is still funding our £30M debt.

It makes no business sense to sign him unless we shift Jimmy Mac of course, I'm dying to find out who the full backs are going to be, even though they are going to be 3rd choice ha

13. Nads

Nads Well-Known Member

I dunno mate, the lad can play both sides and we are aware that McClean isn't good enough, I'd suggest it's not about needing him, it's about a week and a halves TV money, that's a way to look at it, and he'll not be looking at a monster wage.

The £30 million ellis converted to shares has been handsomely returned via the new TV deal.

I think McClean will be moved on if Paolo doesn't rate him (seems clear from that Italian interview where he bemoans his 'lack of anything' or words to that effect), I know Ba & Karlsson looked very decent, but it does no harm to have an extra, even if we got him and sent him on loan initially.

I just think the lad looks very, very good, and for such a small outlay we should finish it, our net spend, considering the huge TV wedge, is next to nothing, around £8million I think I read?

We have absolutely slashed the wage bill as well with Titus & Kilgallon's stupid 70k a week between them gone as well as a few lads on pro contracts that were released.

I just think this was one we should have followed through, just a gut instinct thing really.

14. fulwellend47

fulwellend47 Member

The following fron the Chronicle for your attention!

By James Hunter
    Comments

Sunderland decide against pursuing Charis Mavrias
    31 Jul 2013 08:37

Sunderland's on-off move for Greek winger Charis Mavrias is OFF again - and this time the deal will not be resurrected
    Share on print Share on email
    Charis Mavrias of Panathinaikos Charis Mavrias of Panathinaikos
    Vladimir Rys/Getty Images

Sunderland's on-off move for Greek winger Charis Mavrias is OFF again - and this time the deal will not be resurrected.

The Black Cats were understood to have agreed a £2.5m fee with Panathinaikos for the teenager at the beginning of July, but the deal has failed to progress from that point.

The Chronicle revealed 10 days ago that the Black Cats had cooled their interest in Mavrias, but at the end of last week reports in Greece suggested that the move was back on again and that the 19-year-old would arrive in England this week to undergo a medical.

But Mavrias has not travelled to the North-East, and sources close to the deal say that Sunderland have decided not to pursue their interest in the player.

15. Poyet's Eleven

Might mean McClean is staying in that case

16. Tickler

Tickler Well-Known Member

http://www.sunderlandecho.com/sport...lk-sunderland-call-off-mavrias-hunt-1-5908553

SUNDERLAND’S protracted pursuit of Greek winger Charis Mavrias has been called off.

The Black Cats agreed a £2.5million fee with Panathinaikos for the highly-rated Mavrias earlier this month, yet the deal has become something of a saga.

The move was originally delayed due to an abdominal injury to the 19-year-old before an arranged meeting to discuss personal terms and undergo a medical was then cancelled.

Panathinaikos had expected Mavrias to travel to England tomorrow to finalise his switch to the Stadium of Light.

But the transfer has not progressed, with Panathinaikos claiming they were not willing to agree to Sunderland’s proposal to delay the move further.

Since the captures of Emanuele Giaccherini and David Moberg Karlsson though, Sunderland have not seen the Mavrias move as a priority.

As the Echo revealed last week, Paolo Di Canio wants three players before the transfer window closes - two full-backs and a creative midfielder.

Personally think this is the right call if he was gonna set us back £2.5m

17. Makemstine Roger

Makemstine Roger Well-Known Member

SUNDERLAND DROP PURSUIT (AGAIN) OF PANATHINAIKOS WINGER MAVRIAS
    Submitted by tribalfootball.com on Wed, 07/31/2013 - 12:10
    Sunderland have dropped their pursuit of Panathinaikos winger Charias Mavrias.

At the end of last week reports in Greece suggested that the move was back on again and that the 19-year-old would arrive in England this week to undergo a medical.

But Mavrias has not travelled to the North-East, and sources close to the deal say that Sunderland have decided not to pursue their interest in the player, says the Evening Chronicle.

18. Poyet's Eleven

Another long saga for nothing!

Orban, Perruzi, Mavrias and Mendy

Reckon that means McClean is staying. If we do sell McClean we may go back to Mavrias

19. J๏E..

J๏E.. The King of Hearts

Hate to add fuel here but the man that told me Roy Keane would be our next manager at the protest Wigan game in April 2006 some 5 months before he was appointed, told me the other night that Adel Taarabt will be a Sunderland player before the deadline. Don't know where he gets his info from but he said a deal with Whickam going to QPR was in discussion..

20. Tickler

Tickler Well-Known Member

Cant see it, PDC wouldnt take any of Taarabt's crap