1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

HOW LONG DO WE GIVE HIM ?

Discussion in 'Norwich City' started by KIO, Nov 4, 2017.

1. carrowcanario

carrowcanario Well-Known Member

Have I missed something.

Just looked at the table and it looks like we are just 3 points off a playoff place. We've beaten Sheffield Utd, Bristol City and Middlesbrough all of who are in the top 6. Yes we lost to Wolves, but I've got a feeling anyone who finishes the season above them will get automatically promoted and they've certainly spent the money whilst we've been shopping in Poundland.

Everyone knew this was going to be a transition season and there's still some deadwood to get rid of from the Neil regime. Expectations at the start of the season weren't high and very few on here thought we were going to be in the mix for a playoff place let alone a title challenge. I suspect if someone had said at the start of the season we'd be 3 points off a playoff place at this point in the season most would have settled for that.

Yes there have been some very poor performances and some very good ones. Not a surprise really for a club that has such made the structural changes we've made over the last few months. Yes we should be looking to beat teams like Barnsley & Bolton and yes the performances were poor, but come on "get a grip people" Neil was given far too many chances when it was clear he should have gone. Farke still deserves more time. The next 4 games should be interesting.

The jury's not out yet, we're still looking at the evidence and it's far too early for a verdict.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2017
  2. 1950canary

1950canary Well-Known Member

Those trying to talk common sense might as well save their breath. Common sense and NCFC fans should not appear in the same sentence. If you are relegated from the Premiership and don't go straight back up then you are in the proverbial s**t. You either carry on spending and risk going bankrupt or accept the reality of the situation and cut your outgoings to your income levels after parachute payments. You have to sell your best players and buy cheap replacements. You have to get rid of high earners IF YOU CAN. If nobody wants Naismith, for example, or be prepared to pay his wages then he is fully entitled to see out his contract. If that causes a problem it is not the fault of Naismith or the current management. The ' sack everyone ' brigade completely overlook the simple fact that all the people you sack are on contracts that have to be paid up which means less money to be spent on the playing staff. And what does it achieve? Just look at other bigger Clubs in the Championship who were relegated and didn't go back up immediately. They have now been in the Championship, or worse, for many years despite sacking Managers at regular intervals. We had the same in the 1960's. After the Cup Run and promotion the Club ran out of steam. We replaced Managers and playing staff every year or two without any sign of improvement and average gates dropped to not a lot over 10000. It was dreadful - I know because I was there every week!! Why not try a revolutionary approach? Stick with a Manager through thick and thin, encourage the Academy and a youth policy, let him bring in and develop his own bargain basement players and accept that this is a long term strategy which may or may not succeed. Oh, by the way, I mean my definition of long term which is 3 or 4 years and not the majority definition of long term which seems to be 3 or 4 games. But there again I might as well save my breath - after all we are in the unacceptable position of being in the top half of the table and within striking distance of the play offs despite loyally sticking with the current set up for all of 6 months!!

3. Walsh.i.am

Walsh.i.am Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

No spontaneous knee-jerk reactions likely from you then 1950!! <laugh>
    Most disappointing thing, imho, is that after the first break, post Millwall <yikes>
    there were clear signs of improvements and things were all quite positive.
    After the two most recent breaks, we appear to have gone backwards and however you dress that up, it's bloody frustrating. We all know we're better than that but can't match that belief with on-field performances.

4. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

Great post1950 and I completely agree with Cromer.
    Like a fool, when we got a lucky break and scored early on that we would push on and score again, but no, we allowed Barnsley to get back into the game and it seems like they were unlucky not to win. DF must really get the players to respond and whilst I would be happy with a point tomorrow night, anything other than a win on Saturday and I can see fans leaving early!!

5. Forgot_My_Lines

Forgot_My_Lines Well-Known Member

It’s annoying that it looked the same performance and “style” of play before the international break. It looked like they needed recovery time and to get drilled on the training pitch in ways to break teams down. They have returned with no signs of anything being addressed. I wasn’t expecting that, and that was very frustrating.

6. royalbarclayfan

royalbarclayfan Well-Known Member

Absolutely agree 1950. My only problem with the current situation is, that Farke should never have been appointed in the first place, What Webber thought he was doing, god knows, except trying to pull another rabbit out of the hat, which in our situation was risky in the extreme. But now that the Germans have arrived, they should at least be given a decent chance to prove themselves, one or two signs have appeared that they´re doing this, but nothing earth-moving as yet, and they soon disappear again double-quick. Sacking anyone after three or four months is ludicrous anyway, but in the position (financial and footballing) we´re in, it would be disastrous.

JM Fan likes this.
  7. Walsh.i.am

Walsh.i.am Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Agreed, and more or less the point I made above <ok>

8. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

I'm sure it must have been absolutely frustrating FML and if it's the same against PNE, I certainly won't be staying till the end!!!

9. colu_mike

colu_mike Active Member

OMG @ some bird brains actually want to ditch your sub-optimal David Wagner before he takes you down! <laugh><laugh><laugh> Sorry <sorry> budgerigars your imminent demise is going to be pure box office:emoticon-0160-movie comedy gold! <cheers><cheers><cheers>

10. DUNCAN DONUTS

DUNCAN DONUTS SOCIAL JUSTICE WARRIOR

Guaranteed 3 points tonight then.

11. canary-dave

canary-dave Well-Known Member

Even if we did go down we'd still be at least a league above Tesco Value Colchester! <laugh>

Forgot_My_Lines likes this.
  12. Forgot_My_Lines

Are all of the 127 posts you have strained out just on this forum? I'm guessing you don't get any fans on your board, like your home games? If so, thanks for adding to our clubs post count on here. Even though it is always drivel. :emoticon-0148-yes:

KIO likes this.
  13. General Melchett

General Melchett Well-Known Member

Afraid not, you forgot FACT!

Bah!

canary-dave likes this.
  14. Forgot_My_Lines

<laugh>

15. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

Well, I'm rapidly running out of patience with SW/DF and IMO his biggest mistake was taking a nearly full strength first team to the Emirates and I won't be posting as much in future (not because of what other posters have said, it's just that I'm losing my enthusiasm for NCFC!!).

Unless there is a DRAMATIC turn around in our fortunes, I'd like to see a new Head Coach in place before we go out in the 4th round of the FA Cup!!! <yikes>

16. royalbarclayfan

Dream on Cromer, you might think we´re better than that, and I´m sure you would like us to be better than that, but the fact is, that any side is only as good as the performances they can consistently turn out on the pitch, and the only consistency we´ve found, is to be consistently disappointing, with the odd uplifting moment every fourth or fifth game - not anywhere near good enough to mount any sort of lasting challenge, even if by some fluke, we did manage to get closer to the top 6. Even a general improvement, up through the gears, from week to week, from poor to middling to decent, would be something, but we actually seem to be going the other way. I´m inclined to say, forget this season, it´s gone already, but that sort of thing has a tendency to come back and bite, so I shall remain sceptical but vaguely hopeful, although I stick to my pre-season prediction of a top half finish at best.

JM Fan likes this.
  17. oldcanariesfan

oldcanariesfan Well-Known Member

12th keeps popping up on my radar for some reason.

18. royalbarclayfan

:) - If you pressed me for a number ocf, I would say 10th or 11th.

19. royalbarclayfan

You still in dreamland Cromer, or have you returned to the land of the living? :) Now 7 home matches without a win, which is apparently our worst home run since 1999 - not sure I can even remember as far back as that, but I´m sure we´ve gotten through a barrow-load of managers since then. :grin:

ncgandy likes this.
  20. Westlake33

Westlake33 Well-Known Member

Farke life IN, doing a great job keep it up.

KIO and DUNCAN DONUTS like this.
: farkelife