1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

HOW LONG DO WE GIVE HIM ?

Discussion in 'Norwich City' started by KIO, Nov 4, 2017.

1. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

And oddly enough, Ruddy played really well last Tuesday and either caught or punched every cross that came near him - SOOOO different from when he played for NCFC, when he INVARIABLY stood and watched crosses that he could easily have claimed!! <doh>

2. canary-dave

canary-dave Well-Known Member

I have to remind you JM that during our promotion season up to the Premier League and during our spell in the Premier league right up to his injury he was a class keeper rightly chosen to play for England players, he was so good in fact that someone on here had their forum name in his honour.

He was out for a long time and never really got his mojo back, mainly due to his lack of trust in the defenders in front of him

3. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

WHO would be THAT stoopid???? <laugh>

Seriously though Dave - I completely agree with you!! <ok>

K E M P and canary-dave like this.
  4. General Melchett

General Melchett Well-Known Member

I agree he was a great keeper, but he was never the same after his injury but I think you could easily say the defence were nervous wrecks with that vintage of Ruddy behind them.
    I'm no great fan of Russ being anywhere near our team but I still think the level of criticism is unwarranted. we are again conceding at 2 goals a game without Martin with a defensive set up. How are we better than with him? Martin has not played with Steiperman, Klose, Pinto, Tettey and Trybull, he could maybe look ok in that set up?

Bah!

5. RiverEndRick

RiverEndRick Well-Known Member

Trybull has not looked the same player recently, mainly due to the absence of Tettey, as they were at the heart of the unbeaten run, along with the return of Klose to pair up with Zimmermann. For me, the players who came in during the summer, Franke excepted, have now successfully adapted to the Championship and in that sense proven themselves.

Maddison and Wildschut have come into their own under Farke, but we need to improve in the attacking play. Hopefully the return of Oliveira and Pritchard will give a boost, but I still feel we need to add a striker in January.

6. Walsh.i.am

Walsh.i.am Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

You're not alone in thinking that.
    One option is to retain Morris from the second half of his loan spell,
    but is he good enough yet for the rigours of this division?
    Trouble is, if we do bring someone in on a permanent deal,
    who will need to be sold to finance it <yikes>
    I'd suggest one of two main creative AMs, which rather defeats the
    point of a new striker if the service to him / them is not to be radically improved.
    And decent service = Maddison and/or Pritchard, our two most valuable and saleable assets!

canary-dave likes this.
  7. General Melchett

I don' think Morris is good enough, maybe one day but he's only playing a bit part at a lower level. I'd sell either of Pritchard or Maddison for the right money to then spend on a striker with a good injury record who fits Farkes desired way of playing.
    I still think now Maddison has proven himself that leaves Pritchard or him as a luxury we can ill afford. Logically Maddison might be the one to go, he is hot property and Pritchard will have to prove himself all over again after his injury before the big spenders come in. Would I rather we kept both, spent £6-8m on the overdraft to pay back in the summer from sales? yup but I can't see us taking that chance.

Bah!

8. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

Assuming Basil returns fully fit from his trip to Portugal, my choice would be to keep both JM and AP and bring Morris back as cover.
    I've always rated JM, but even I'm surprised by how he's taken his opportunity with AP injured.

canary-dave likes this.
  9. Hairy Mary Quite Canary

Hairy Mary Quite Canary Well-Known Member

I'm resigned to losing Maddison. It's been refreshing to see someone run at defenders and have a go. He's been an absolute nightmare for opposing teams and i'll be amazed if an Everton or similar don't "swoop" in Jan. If it was a choice i'd keep Maddison over AP but as the General said, Maddison has more than proved himself. If Oliveira could just add a bit of cement to his Nandos maybe we could keep them both.

10. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

I lost count of the number of times he was fouled by a Wolves player!!! <steam>

11. General Melchett

I just don't see how we can actually profess as a club that we are ambitious and after promotion if we go into the seceond half of the season with what we have up front. Morris really doesn't enhance the situation because you need someone who you would actually play, preferably start. For me Morris is neither and almost certainly not ready for the step up. The fact that in Nelson's absence we have bludgeoned away with CJ and Wadkins with neither making any impact means to me we need a striker, and desperately.
    Maybe Farke gets us scoring between now and January, if so then maybe keep both, especially if we are scoring because we have both in the team. We can but hope.

Bah!

12. RiverEndRick

There's also the possibility of Fonkeu and Abrahams.

13. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

See post # 532. https://www.not606.com/threads/youth-loanee-watch.309113/page-27#post-11122804

14. General Melchett

I'm really wavering, same mistakes, same insipid football that gives the opposition too easier day at the office. How many home games without a win can Webber and the board tolerate. Sounds like the crowd won't take anymore to turn.
    Lose to Forest as seems very likely and could Neil come back to hammer in a final nail?
    I want to remain patient but let's
    see something to justify it and soon.

Bah!

JM Fan likes this.
  15. RiverEndRick

As disappointing as yesterday's match was, I'm not at all convinced that changing the manager is any sort of solution. Getting rid of Hughton was going to be the solution and he left us to take Brighton up to the PL. Last year, getting rid of Neil was going to be the solution and he left us to take over at Preston. Webber and Farke are bringing a whole new approach this year and already, after a few disappointing results (following an 8 match unbeaten run), the natives are getting restless again. I'm not at all disposed to throwing the dice again in the hope of a sudden miracle. Fundamental change takes longer and we all knew that before the season started. At 3 points off the play-off places, all is not lost, but the players need to respond to the new system and put in a shift as well and now that some of the long-term injured are about to be available again, the competition for places will increase.

16. canary-dave

canary-dave Well-Known Member

Plus some positive support from the crowd will help with confidence issues, can you really not see that booing is counter productive?

1950canary likes this.
  17. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

Well said Rick - the voice of reason!!! <applause>
    PS - Dropping Vrancic would help!!!!

18. Walsh.i.am

Walsh.i.am Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Just what you'd love to have in the premier league -
    but as much use as a chocolate teapot in the championship.
    Makes you realise just how 'busy', often understated and athletic
    Jonny Howson was from first whistle to last <applause>
    We have no like for like replacement.

JM Fan likes this.
  19. Forgot_My_Lines

Forgot_My_Lines Well-Known Member

From the players brought in so far:

Husband looks awful. Looks like a lost child. Can't defend, I thought he was decent going forward, but offers nothing.

Stiepermann looks ok at times. He's not a LB, and he's not a LM. I don't think anyone knows where he plays best. He's making a decent fist of it, no matter where he's asked to play. Sometimes he's bad, but often he's holding his own.

Vrancic looks totally out of his depth. He has offers less than nothing.

Watkins. He's not a striker, he's barely a winger, coz he can't pass or cross. He has pace and works his socks off, but I don't know what he offers us.

Franke looked so, so bad at the start of the season. I assumed he needed time to settle. Not seen him for a long time, so can't be wowing in training. That's worrying.

Zimmerman I think looks like he's got promise. He hasn't totally shone, but I think there's something there.He seems like he's got a really good personality as well. I like the thought of him and Klose at the back.

Hanley - Decent Championship CB. Aggressive, strong. Hasn't looked a star since he left Blackburn. But probably a decent squad player.

Gunn - really nice to have him back, he's obviously going to be a Premiership Keeper in future. As he is a young keeper in his first season, he's going to have ups and downs, and he's having them. He pulls out great saves one game and looks a mess the next. I'm glad we have him. I think Rudd or Mathews would have similar form during this run though.

Trybull - Looks a bit of a find. had a good spell, dropped off a bit, but looks very reliable. Works hard, wins the ball, keeps the ball well. I like him.

Reed has obvious qualities. I love his stamina and energy. He looks sharp.

Overall. So far, I think recruitment has been very hit and miss. Mainly leaning towards miss for me.

JM Fan likes this.
  20. royalbarclayfan

royalbarclayfan Well-Known Member

The voice of sense - well said Rick, but unfortunately whenever has sense registered very high on the agenda of football fans, especially football fans, disappointed and disillusioned about what they are seeing. A couple more performances like this last one and he´ll be on the slippery slope.

: farkelife