1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Holloway Gone! Steve McClaren In?

Discussion in 'Queens Park Rangers' started by QPR999, May 1, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bobmid

bobmid Well-Known Member

Was it? I suppose we amounted 3 more points than the previous season.

durbar2003, rangercol, ELLERS and 2 others like this.
  2. Rangers Til I Die

Rangers Til I Die Well-Known Member

My approval, or otherwise, is dependent on two things. Firstly being entertained with some decent football. Secondly, and rather intimately linked with the first, is some hope of greater success at some stage. I am not a 'Champions League in 5 tears or you're out' sort of supporter!

So I am perfectly willing to give SM my full support if he's appointed.

I am, however, puzzled as to why he might be appointed with such poor win rates in his most recent managerial posts. Surely The Board must know this and have some logical reason to believe it will be different at QPR?

Didley Squat likes this.
  3. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

It’s not in chronological order, for some reason, so your point is wrong. Those stats are much better than I expected, and in a totally different league to Holloway’s. McLaren had a near 46% win rate in his last job, Holloway's highest ever win rate at any club was near 40%, with us in his first spell.

4. QPR999

QPR999 Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

Holloway first spell ...

G - 252 W - 100 D - 71 L - 81 W% - 40%

Second spell ...

G - 80 W - 26 D - 14 L - 40 W% - 33%

Didley Squat and ELLERS like this.
  5. SW Ranger

SW Ranger Well-Known Member

His last stint in the championship (Derby) he had a win rate of 45%; while Holloway has a 34% win rate. So some may argue that’s an improvement.
    Interesting that some of his better figures are in the Championship, so maybe there is optimism from those statistics.
    Perhaps his coaching skills and working with developing players work to his more positive skills.

Of course you could always throw in his stints at Newcastle and Florist to mix things up a bit.

Would like to see Ramsey kept on. See what Penrice can do in the close season; and how the improvements/new players brought in fit with McLarens view of what we need and where.

6. Rangers Til I Die

Rangers Til I Die Well-Known Member

Stupidly missed that. They've put it in win rate order! That's rather more reassuring.

rangercol and sb_73 like this.
  7. Frome-Ranger

Frome-Ranger Well-Known Member

In the context of what he's had to deal with i.e. FFP, no signings and blooding youngsters I'd say thats a significant improvement.

8. QPR Oslo

QPR Oslo Well-Known Member

His win rates at Derby weren't bad and he did well in Holland, a while ago though now.

Didley Squat likes this.
  9. Sutfol

Sutfol Well-Known Member

Personally I’d feel far more optimistic about next season with McLaren over Holloway. Holloway was just about ok with what he had but I don’t feel he ever knew his best team. I’m expecting a fair bit of upheaval before next season - can’t imagine the new man will want to retain Washington based on his stats.

Didley Squat and ELLERS like this.
  10. ELLERS

ELLERS Well-Known Member

When was that then? I thought it was stagnant.

11. terryb

terryb Well-Known Member

What is worse about those stats in the loss percentage.

50% defeats in Ollie's second spell would have been very worrying to the board.

Admittedly his league record was a tad lower, but would heve been at 50% if Brentford hadn't allowed us to score twice in time added on.

I may be wrong, but I feel that McLaren could be the person to develop Smyth, Eze etc. At least, that is my hope!

I thank Stan for mentioning the Notts County manager as a possible alternative & would add three others - Hurst (Shrewsbury), Tisdale (Exeter) & Crowley (Lincoln) with the Luton man also worth considering.

I gather from Ipswich supporters that Hurst is expected to join them after the play offs & if he is willing to go there, he would certainly be prepared to join us! The financial restraints are worse in Suffolk to West London!

sb_73 likes this.
  12. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

McLaren career management stats:
    P 619 W 278 D 147 L194 Win% 44.9
    Holloway career management stats:
    P 951 W 343 D 246 L 346 Win% 36.1

Looks like a significant upgrade to me, if it happens. Especially in win to loss ratio. The most worrying thing about McLaren is his Newcastle experience, which sounded truly disastrous with open player rebellion.

Last edited: May 12, 2018
    ELLERS and rangercol like this.
  13. rajman

rajman Active Member

I think this may well be one of the reasons they are looking at Steve McClaren - to help develop these players and potentially take them to the next level.
    Whilst I wouldn't expect us to be pushing for play offs , I think McClaren's remit must have TOP 10 finish included. If we are replacing the manager then it has to be for an improvement right ?
    I don't find it as strange as some that Holloway has gone, I believe the board want someone who has some standing in the football community by that I mean strong connections at a higher level. I think players would be willing to come to QPR on loan from Prem lge teams because of McClaren's rep as a coach. I think :)

bobmid, WalsallHoop, awjm and 3 others like this.
  14. Uber_Hoop

Uber_Hoop Well-Known Member

They both seem to lose about 1 in every 3 games.

I’m off down the shops for some fungal toenail syrup. Anybody wanna come?

kiwiqpr likes this.
  15. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

Holloway loses more games than he wins though.

Given our record with managers there is a huge chance that McLaren, if he comes, will be another **** up. He is certainly a mockable figure and has some worrying black spots on his CV. But the numbers look better than what we have had for the last couple of years, if it’s him let’s give him a chance.

Before we fall on him like a scurry* of rabid Shepherds Bush squirrels.

* the alternative collective noun for squirrels is, apparently, ‘dray’. So I have learned two new words this morning, it’s a good day already. You can also use ‘colony’ which is a bit dull. Why do squirrels need so many alternatives to describe a bunch of them hanging around looking menacing? I would like to see a war between the grey squirrel and urban foxes, in which both sides get wiped out.

Last edited: May 12, 2018
    Uber_Hoop and Steelmonkey like this.
  16. N22hoop

N22hoop Well-Known Member

As a 50 something bloke I find it depressing that Holloway is considered ‘past it’ in management. That doesn’t mean I want McLaren instead. If we’re going for it we need the best of Holloway’s traits and a manager with something to prove. Ainsworth for me.

Uber_Hoop likes this.
  17. Didley Squat

Didley Squat Well-Known Member

Not only an open player rebellion but an owner in Mike Ashley.
    When all said and done, not a bad result, considering.

18. awjm

awjm Well-Known Member

Again, progress can't just be counted in points.

I'm talking state of squad, attitude, entertainment on pitch, emotional investment of fans, etc.

We ended up in better shape than the early stages of the season. We were technically on the up. Who knows what'll happen now that we're switching for McClaren.

So we're swapping a manager who was (admittedly slowly) making progress or an unknown factor in McClaren.

19. Uber_Hoop

Uber_Hoop Well-Known Member

Is it a fanny of beavers?

kiwiqpr likes this.
  20. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

No, it’s a beaver of fannies.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.