1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Gone

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by Bob the Mackem, Aug 26, 2022.

1. TeamOfTalents

TeamOfTalents Well-Known Member

I thought it was agreed manager had to approve signings?
    If AN wanted them to tear up their recruitment approach then can't just buckle.
    Shambles

C Montgomery Burns likes this.
  2. TopCat_

TopCat_ Well-Known Member

If that's the case, the I don't blame him. The timing is horrific and I think he should have told Stoke he would speak to them next week, but if the club is breaking promises then I can understand his reasoning and am starting to worry this new regime isn't much better than the last

Chip likes this.
  3. TopCat_

KLD should be binning him off and getting someone who is experienced in running a football club. There are worrying signs around how this club is being run and the success on the pitch shouldn't mask that

Chip and Confucius like this.
  4. Jack Ford

Jack Ford Well-Known Member

He was on a rolling contract. He was free to speak to other clubs and personally dont blame him for talking to other clubs if interested

If he was offered a better deal so be it. I know what I would have done given the same circumstances

He has improved things on the field and led us to promotion

I am disappointed but there's no hard feelings from me

jdsafc, Bazza2310 and gillmackem like this.
  5. Southern A

Southern A Well-Known Member

I'm not sure we know the club have broken promises to him, otherwise everyone wouldn't have been so confident last night that this wouldn't happen.

Jarca and sheepman like this.
  6. safcfansofaraway

safcfansofaraway Well-Known Member

Please don’t compare the current owners with the tweedle dee and dummer regime!

Young Ted, The Professor and Dorset like this.
  7. TopCat_

As it stands, our current owner is showing signs of being incapable of running a football team - it was obvious to every man and his dog that we needed to tie AN down to a long term deal (without release clauses) the day after we got promoted. Instead he let things drift along like a bird with it's head in the sand. Club seems to be taking the same approach with Ross Stewart

Chip likes this.
  8. TopCat_

He wouldn't be going to Stoke if everything was OK behind the scenes. That much should be obvious

Chip likes this.
  9. rowley

rowley Well-Known Member

Ransom?

He has a contract worth twelve months. The club allow him, by contract, to talk to any club he wants to at any time.

That's not ransom . He isn't particularly valued, so he's going somewhere else. I've done it myself before, a few times when I was around his age.

10. Bank of England 2

Bank of England 2 Well-Known Member

Absolutely correct. The team needs our undying support. Let's get behind them and roar them home to victory. Then after the final whistle, let Speakman know that we won't accept a yes man and we expect an appointment within 3 days, not 3 weeks.

11. TeamOfTalents

TeamOfTalents Well-Known Member

If he sees Stoke as a better option god knows what state things are behind the scenes.

12. Jarca

Jarca Well-Known Member

And yet here we are in the championship with the club in a much better place than when he joined.

C Montgomery Burns and CJ9150 like this.
  13. Southern A

yes obviously. thats not my point. my point is none of us can pretend to KNOW what happened to lead to this, considering as recently as this morning everyone thought t wouldn't happen

if we were breaking promises last week then people wouldn't have been as surprised by this, and wouldn't be posting that it was never going to happen yesterday

14. Saf

Saf Not606 Godfather+NOT606 Poster of the year 2023

If somebody promised me something and went back on their promise, I'd probably walk, too.

15. Chunksafc

Chunksafc Guest

Trouble is we don't know that for certain, although no doubt by tomorrow it will be taken as fact

16. Nads

Nads Well-Known Member

End of the day if they giving him 3-4 years in a game when you can easily be unemployed there’s logic on a human level.

Short deal and our fans reputation of turning in the gaffers, rightly so in most instances of course, you ain’t ever secure at Sunderland.

He knew the terms though and was the most universally liked we have had in many years. He really had a chance of doing something here he won’t ever do at Stoke.

It’s baffling. We will live and we aren’t in the forty wilderness now.

He absolutely wasn’t offered a longer deal, Speakman was open about why the club will favour rolling terms.

17. Southern A

his employment status is a lot less secure with a 4 year deal at stoke than it is with a 1 year deal here.

sure - he's entitled to a much bigger pay out now if they sack him, then he'd have got if we had,

But stoke are more likely to sack Alex Neil this season / summer than Sunderland were.

18. Saf

Saf Not606 Godfather+NOT606 Poster of the year 2023

That has come from an ITK on here. The guy is rightly believed on everything else and he's usually right so his word is good enough for me.

19. Nathan Brazil

Nathan Brazil Well-Known Member

AN took the job knowing the conditions/restrictions.
    Possible promotion and repercussions will have been discussed.

If the club has broken any promises made then I dont blame him for leaving.

If he's wanted changes to some condition or other hes already shook hands on, couldnt get it, and that's why he's off, that's down to him.

If he's agreed to conditions he doesnt really agree with, aiming to bugger off when he can, that's down to him.

gillmackem likes this.
  20. TopCat_

Stoke does seem to be a bit of a managerial graveyard since they got rid of Pulis. I like AN, but this feels like a betrayal. Something must have gone horribly wrong behind the scenes to cause this

Young Ted and Southern A like this.