1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Development squad thread

Discussion in 'Charlton' started by Bitter & Malicious, Aug 21, 2014.

1. dick plumb

dick plumb Well-Known Member

It finished Charlton 1 Brighton 0. A goal for Joe Pigott.

2. Bitter & Malicious

Bitter & Malicious Well-Known Member

A penalty which he won himself. Good to win, but no encouragement to think our goal-scoring problems can immediately by solved by looking to the under-21s.

3. ForestHillBilly

ForestHillBilly Well-Known Member

It's cause for concern that our home-grown players are not doing well in the first team. I don't buy the easy statement that they're "not good enough".
    Pope- previously a commanding vocal organiser, sound reader of crosses also a good shot-stopper. Now a good shot-stopper but a bag of nerves otherwise.
    Fox- always had problems being slow on the turn but previously a very good crosser of the ball who used to take free-kicks.
    Both these players were making the sort of mistakes which weren't due to the step up in standard, more due to loss of confidence.
    Cousins- Previously a defensive mid who also could play in any position in the back 4. Now struggling as a left-winger.
    Gomez- Previously a CB wanted by Premier League clubs, now a utility defender, getting pelters for his poor crossing and attacking play.
    Harriott's been played as a striker, and even Solly had a couple of games in midfield.
    Apart from Solly, our most successful Academy product recently has been Poyet, who played exactly the same game for the first team as he played all through his football education. Something for Bob to learn here? I don't see any of our imports getting played out of position.

4. dick plumb

Our Academy players are learning their trade in the first team, which is very hard for them. Being played out of position makes it one hundred times worse. The confidence of Gomez, Pigott, Cousins seems to be draining away from them.

ForestHillBilly likes this.
  5. ForestHillBilly

Exactly, which is tough to watch for those of us who have watched them progress and know their true potential.

6. Bitter & Malicious

Harry Lennon has been recalled from his loan at Gillingham. I did not even know he had gone there. He has only recently returned from Cambridge where he flopped. What good does it do anyone moving for two weeks? (Only exception might be for emergency cover in goal). The rules on loans need tightening up.

I presume the only reason he has been abruptly recalled is to feature in the FA Cup squad.

7. Bitter & Malicious

If you think we treat our youngsters badly, how about this anecdote about the famous Cup giant-killing when Walsall beat Arsenal 2-0.

Chapman made a number of changes to his team and one of the incoming youngsters, Tommy Black, made a mistake which led to a goal.

Chapman's assistant Bob Wall, writing in the Arsenal programme in 1978, recalled: "Chapman told Black that he would never play for Arsenal again - he had let our reputation down, and he need never come to the ground again, his boots would be sent round with the transfer forms." He left the club a week later.

They didn't have a Players Union in those days.

8. ForestHillBilly

I also remember an OLd Firm game which Celtic won 5-1. Celtic's first goal was scored by Billy McNeill from a corner, and the Rangers manager Davey White, told his centre forward, a certain Alex Ferguson, that he would never play for Rangers again. He was true to his word, Fergie was treated like a dog, but later when White became manager of Dundee and Fergie became manager of St. Mirren they crossed swords 3 times. The aggregate score was Fergie 13 White 0.

9. Bitter & Malicious

Under-21s lost 5-6 on penalties away at Huddersfield. 0-0 at 120 mins.

Phillips; Pyke, Edwards, Lennon, Thomas; Munns, Muldoon, Cumberbatch; Pigott, Ahearne-Grant, Kennedy.
    Subs: Mitov, Osborne, Konsa, Cook, Ansah

No over-age players, Maybe not allowed in this Cup competition?

Interesting that Ansah is left out in favour of the much younger Kennedy these days. Browne, the winger we signed from Norwich, also never gets a mention lately. Maybe injured or leaving the club?

10. ForestHillBilly

I watched the U-21's lose 2-1 to Millwall this afternoon. It was uncannily like the first team, 2 goals conceded from set-pieces. The first was from a corner, with a static defense watching a Millwall player nod in at the near post. The second was from a free-kick which was well blocked by the wall, it rebounded to a Millwall player who slammed it, unchallenged into the bottom corner of the net. Dmitrovic had not adjusted his position and so there was a big gap. He looked a decent prospect, saved an awful penalty, made one worldy save from a swerving shot and had a couple of flaps. I'm not sure that a decent prospect is what we need right now. Our goal was a beauty, a superb through ball from Muldoon, good movement by Watt to pick it up, and a perfect cross for Ahearne-Grant at the far post. Run-outs for Harriott and Onyewu(who gave away a silly penalty) as well as Watt. There didn't seem anything wrong with Watt's attitude, and when he went off after an hour we lost most of our threat.

11. Bitter & Malicious

I think that's the idea, so the youngsters are used to our pattern of play and can slot in easily when the opportunity arises. They have been practising hard at conceding from set-pieces for weeks.

You would say that. You lot stick together. Worse than Somalis!

Seriously, thanks for the report. Bring back Nathan Jones!

Muldoon seems to have made a spurt lately? Captain? For a couple of seasons he has been the utility player or left out for newer signings. What size is he?

12. ForestHillBilly

Borderline on the 6' rule!

13. dick plumb

Apart from the pass i thought Muldoon was poor today. Onyewu was awful, slow and for a big man he doesn't attack the ball enough in the air. I thought we were poor all round. We rather mirrored the first team with our inability to defend a set piece. Watt was one of the bright sparks and did well for Ahearne-Grant's goal. Like Forest said he is not lacking in effort. PS i am not a Jock.

Team;
    Serbian
    Thomas, Onyewu, Lennon, Edwards
    Cumberbatch,Muldoon, Munns,
    Harriott,
    Ahearne- Grant, Watt,

14. Bitter & Malicious

Oxford have signed Joe Skarz. Does that mean we can have Holmes-Dennis back? Neither of them are in the Oxford team today. Or is it because H-D is injured?

Last edited: Jan 24, 2015
  15. ForestHillBilly

Pigott strikes again

16. dick plumb

Holmes- Dennis is injured and back at Charlton receiving treatment. I don't know if he is going back to Oxford.

Bitter & Malicious likes this.
  17. Bitter & Malicious

Pigott is staying at Southend until the end of the season.

18. ForestHillBilly

Didn't score today, but won the penalty which won the game.

19. ForestHillBilly

Holmes-Dennis has been recalled from his loan at Oxford

20. Bitter & Malicious

There is a glaring need for a LM who can both defend and attack, and has been ever since Jackson got injured halfway through our promotion season (which is a long time to carry a weakness in the same position). Salim Kerkar was the last we had of the right type, though not of the right quality. I always thought the team had a better shape with him playing, which is probably why he clocked up 24 appearances in one season despite his own mediocre contributions.

I would love to see Tareiq H-D seize this opportunity.