1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Development squad thread

Discussion in 'Charlton' started by Bitter & Malicious, Aug 21, 2014.

1. Bitter & Malicious

Bitter & Malicious Well-Known Member

I have started this thread for news and gossip concerning our youngsters.

U21s won their first competitive match this season 2-1 away to Nottingham Forest (Ansah 2).

I notice that Lennon played. He has not appeared for Cambridge since his move there on loan. Has that been cancelled or can loan players feature for their own clubs in non-Football League matches? Seems a good idea if both clubs agree, but I don't remember seeing it before.

2. The Kish

The Kish Well-Known Member

Great idea for a thread; I don't ever keep up with the youth teams (partly because I'm still just about young enough to be jealous of them for still having a chance) so it'll be brilliant to have those of you who go commenting all in one place for the future. <cheers>

Can this be a sticky please Mods?

3. Addick4Life

Addick4Life Active Member
    Forum Moderator

Like this idea as well (Maybe can be for the Development Squad and the U18s)

Also surprised to see that Harry Lennon appeared... Guess its as per the agreement between both sides and Tobi Sho Silva did the same whilst at Welling last season (although I know its going to be different rules between the Football League and the Conference but its a good idea as means he's getting League experience and we can easily keep an eye on his development also.

At the same time though he does worry me slightly... Appearing for a few matches last season I thought going on loan to Cambridge United would really help him step up but for him not to have made an appearance I'm a little worried he's going backwards at a bit of a quick rate?

4. deleted.....

deleted..... Well-Known Member

It was agreed with Cambridge that he would play Dev Squad games for us if he is not playing first team games for them.

5. ForestHillBilly

ForestHillBilly Well-Known Member

Great to see Ahearne-Grant get a hat-trick in a 5-0 thrashing of Udders U-18's. If they'd stop playing U-18 games on the same day as we're at home it would be possible to see more games.

6. Bitter & Malicious

Especially as we were away and 'Udders were national champions last year.

On the other hand the u21s lost 0-1 at home to Leeds. Strong team with Harriott and Pigott playing. Obviously not Cousins, Fox or Gomez. Or Lennon who is out on loan.

Lost two league games in a row. Never happened in Nathan Jones' day. Or did it?

I am not confident there is anyone from that u21 team (other than the four who did not play) who will make it into the League team. They all seem to have plateau'd in their development. We may have to look to the u18s for the next to break through.

7. ForestHillBilly

I haven't given up on Holmes-Dennis, always liked that type of player, a bit feisty. Always thought Muldoon had the ability, but haven't seen him for a while, for some reason he played RB last season.

8. Bitter & Malicious

Because we didn't have one, whereas we were well off for midfielders. But now Pyke is older and Osborne is fit again.

The report lists someone called Obileye playing at left back. (Maybe a misprint for Evileye)? Are trialists allowed to play in the u21 league?

9. ForestHillBilly

Yes. We had one called Sammy Clingan who was rejected, but is now playing for Kilmarnock.

10. deleted.....

Yes.... Obileye is ex Leyton Orient, Chelsea and at a massive club last season <ok>

11. ForestHillBilly

Nice to see that Gomez played the whole 90 minutes in England's 1-1 draw with Germany, and played very well by all accounts, despite being, at 17, possibly the youngest player on the pitch.

12. SuperChrissyisfantasticPardswasatrocious

Sho-Silva re-joins Welling on loan.

13. deleted.....

He made some very important interceptions and his pace got England out of one or two problems, one of the top three England players in my opinion... not the best player on the pitch, that was the Germany goalscorer who was pure class and is going to be one hell of a player.

14. ForestHillBilly

Pigott goes out on loan to Newport until November 22nd. Thank goodness . Hope he does well.

15. Sat In Greenwich

Sat In Greenwich Well-Known Member

that's sure sign that we'll get someone in for the first team. pigott was third/fourth choice striker in the last few games

16. deleted.....

Was at the U18 game against Leeds this morning (this was started Saturday night) .... won 2-1

Game was hard but fair until late on when at 1-1 one of the Leeds training staff held on to the ball rather than let Charlton take a quick throw (in fact he grabbed hold of the ball, wouldn't give it to the Charlton player when asked and then kicked it down the touchline) the Leeds number 10 got himself involved and was lectured by the ref... within 30 secs of the throw being taken the exact same number 10 (who was perhaps the most technically gifted player on the pitch but carrying far too much timber) was so late with a 'over the top' tackle that even British Rail would have been ashamed, it was a straight red in any game but the ref bottled it and gave his first yellow of the game followed by the lino telling the ref to give Regan (the Charlton No 4) a yellow for the handbags that followed the foul... like the first team 10 minutes of extra time followed but in the seventh minute of this extra time a floated free kick into the Leeds box was controlled by Lookman at the back of the box, his shot was blocked but as the Leeds keeper went to collect the free ball Umerah got his toe to it to make it 2-1 to Charlton.

A bizarre incident happened in the last minute of extra time, the ball went out for a Charlton throw and Lapslie went down with cramp, Charlton took off Lapslie and brought on a sub but the ref decided that this was a deliberate tactic by Charlton and changed the throw in to Charlton to a free kick to Leeds?

The first half was pretty even and two Charlton errors led to the Leeds goal but Charlton had almost total control in the second half with quick one touch passing and should have won by more than one goal.

17. Addick4Life

Addick4Life Active Member
    Forum Moderator

Taken from Twitter... Didnt go
    Charlton U21s have lost to Ipswich Town U21s this afternoon... Strong line-up from the Tractor Boys who had Darren Ambrose... Cameron Stewart (Who went off Injured) and Stephen Hunt playing against a youthful Charlton side

Sadly conceded to a 85min goal

18. Bitter & Malicious

I am not usually slow to have a dig at Euell, but it seems they did OK. I am not sure how old some of the new signings are but most of our team were not even true "under-21s".

Phillips (c) u20
    Osborne u21
    Edwards u19
    Thomas u19
    Obileye ???
    Kennedy u19
    Daniel ???
    Gerard u20
    Cumberbatch ???
    Muldoon u20
    Ansah ???

19. Bitter & Malicious

Harry Osborne has returned to Sutton Utd of the Conference South (sixth tier) on loan. He is in his last year at u21 level. I reckon if he cannot find a higher level team than that to play for it is accepted he won't break through. Lennon and Sho-Silva are on loan at higher levels and they are a year younger.

He made a brave recovery from a horrific injury and the club has stood by him, but looks as if it won't be enough. Anyone disagree?

20. deleted.....

Eddie, at his age group he was up there with Joe Gomez but then he broke his leg in a freak accident and seems unable to regain his edge. There are a lot of very good footballers at youth level and it is that extra 5% that get them a Pro career and an extra 10% that get them a Prem career.