1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Development squad thread

Discussion in 'Charlton' started by Bitter & Malicious, Aug 21, 2014.

1. dick plumb

dick plumb Well-Known Member

2. ForestHillBilly

ForestHillBilly Well-Known Member

3. ForestHillBilly

Palace have pulled out, and we're now playing Fulham in a friendly.

4. Bitter & Malicious

Bitter & Malicious Well-Known Member

Yes, he is deadly. See his efforts here at 0.47 and 1.27:
    http://www.101greatgoals.com/blog/d...rzyszek-misses-an-open-goal-from-3-yards-out/

5. ForestHillBilly

Watched the U-18's draw 1-1 with Fulham. Good game, no team-sheets, haven't seen the U-18's for ages so no individual reports, but I loved the team spirit. Steve Avory is one of football's great unsung heroes in my book, we don't seem to be missing Paul Hart at all. We played good attacking football, with the man in possession always having options, unlike the first team where the option is usually backwards. And the idea of beating the defender in front of you hasn't been coached out of them yet, which adds to the entertainment. Also well done Fulham for their part, also for stepping in at the last minute for Palarse who pulled out at the last minute for reasons unknown.

6. dick plumb

I was down there as well. Goal was scored by Joshua Umerah from the penalty spot. I was impressed with Brandan o Hanlan he was lively and powerful going forward. George Lapslie was also a class apart. Number seven and number three impressed me but I don't know who they are.

7. Sat In Greenwich

Sat In Greenwich Well-Known Member

did not know that pigott was on loan at newport. just scored for them

8. dick plumb

Michael Smith has got two for Swindon.

9. dick plumb

Danny Graham has joined Brentford on loan. He is the sort of player we have been crying out for.

10. SuperChrissyisfantasticPardswasatrocious

Yep - no excuse that the right players haven't been available. It is simply a case of RD/KM/BP not going out and getting them.

11. ForestHillBilly

Looks as though Roland meant what he said about living within our means and putting the Academy at the centre of his plans.

12. SuperChrissyisfantasticPardswasatrocious

Newport won't be extending the Pig's loan beyond November 22nd. Bit harsh seeming he started to find the net for them. I'm sure another League 2 side will give him a shot.

13. dick plumb

The striker who is trailing with us will not now be playing in the U21 game today against Cardiff.

14. Sat In Greenwich

Sat In Greenwich Well-Known Member

move on then?

[joke]. why??

15. SuperChrissyisfantasticPardswasatrocious

Maybe because it leaked? It's possible they will want to judge him over training where other scounts aren't welcomed.

16. Bitter & Malicious

CHARLTON U21S: Pope, Gomez, Lennon, Thomas, Obileye; Muldoon, Munns, Cumberbatch, Gerard; Ansah, Kennedy.
    Charlton U21 subs: Phillips, Osborne, Daniel, Browne, Hanlan

17. ForestHillBilly

We could have done with a striker. Ansah and Kennedy were ineffectual for 90 minutes and we ended up losing 3-2 after being 2-0 up at H/T. Harry Gerrard got both well-taken goals, but seemed to go AWOL in the second half, giving Lennon no support, and leaving him 2 on one, which is where they opened up our defense for the 3 goals. By the time Euell had sorted it out we were 3-2 down. In spite of this I was impressed by Terrell Thomas at CB. Gomez had an hour at RB before coming off, I hope the club isn't trying to convert him to full-back, he's good defensively but I much prefer him at CB.

18. SuperChrissyisfantasticPardswasatrocious

Your right re Gomez. I remember you saying Damien Matthew used to do this when in control of our youth - playing individuals in different positions (I seem to remember Mambo playing RB too?). Do you think he could be influencing this?

19. ForestHillBilly

Dunno. We actually had 4 CB's playing today, with Lennon making up the quartet. Maybe it's the only route into the first team, with TBH and Bikey forming a partnership, and now we've signed the big American, Gomez' opportunities may be limited to filling in for Solly when he needs a rest. And Solly is a more accomplished RB, so I don't know when we'll see much of Joe. He also played def-mid for the U-21's in a recent game. I'd say he is potentially our best player, and when he does get his chance I expect him to stay in the team at CB.

20. Bitter & Malicious

Both useless. Kennedy is younger and may improve, but I don't know what Ansah is doing on the payroll. He has been poor every time I have seen him (admittedly not often). It is telling that when scraping the bottom of the barrel to find a striker for the first team they overlooked Ansah and chose Ahearne-Grant who is three years younger.

I wouldn't read too much into it. They just wanted to give him an hour's run-out after his recent injury and that was a spare slot. He has already done enough to prove he is definitely a future first-team CB, whereas Thomas and Obileye have not done so yet, so they are being given the chance to impress in their natural positions. And I presume Osborne has already been written off, with Gomez, Lennon, Thomas and Obileye ahead of him in the pecking order.

Thought Gomez was poor today by his standards, but he may have been protecting himself from further injury.