1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic A Place to have a Moan about Anything

Discussion in 'Horse Racing' started by stick, Mar 27, 2018.

1. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

France is alone in that it has a Wealth Tax, which aims to tax the wealth of individuals with net assets exceeding £1m. However, this was unfair on low income people with houses that have increased in value, putting them into the bracket. It was reformed to some extent by Macron but has significantly reduced the income from this tax. Also it is still being criticised and is expected to be reformed again. The very rich, of course, have a way round this by investing in things that escape the tax

2. QuarterMoonII

QuarterMoonII Economist

Fact Check: sorry, Ron, but there are five European countries with wealth taxes: France, Norway, Portugal, Spain and Switzerland.

The wealth tax in France has been a fantastic success for Britain. Since it was introduced, hundreds of French millionaires have moved to London to avoid it, making it the sixth biggest city in France.

It has not been particularly successful in Portugal or Spain either. The European countries all have the problem that anyone is free to go. A couple of the prospective Democrat contenders in the US have proposed a wealth tax but from what I have read it might require a chance to the Constitution to implement there and that is notoriously difficult, especially when the intended target – the wealthy – can afford the best Constitutional lawyers and lobbyists to stop it happening.

3. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Yes, sorry. I read this:

"FRANCE is the only EU country to impose a wealth tax. In the continent of Europe, Norway and Lichtenstein have versions of it and Switzerland levies at cantonal level at variable, mostly low levels. Several countries have abolished their versions of the tax in recent years, including Austria, Denmark, Germany, The Netherlands, Finland, Sweden and Spain, and Greece as of this year. Others countries, including Britain and Belgium, have never had such a tax."

But just noticed it was dated 2010 <doh> <laugh>

Deleted....... likes this.
  4. Just got back from the 35th anniversary gig of one of my favourite bands. Stood there marvelling at how they're still so great and "danced" and sang along to pretty much every word. A truly spectacular Easter Saturday. My moan? It's rubbish getting to the age where you're going to 35th anniversary gigs for bands you saw / heard at their conception <wah>

Chaninbar, Resurgam and karlos5001 like this.
  5. floridaspearl

floridaspearl Well-Known Member

Who are they?

6. The men they couldn't hang

7. OddDog

OddDog Mild mannered janitor
    Staff Member

Fine band - How Green is The Valley one of my all-time fav albums

8. Mine too. They did Going Back to Coventry last night!

OddDog likes this.
  9. QuarterMoonII

QuarterMoonII Economist

You were there when they were conceived? Are you the father of the lead singer? <laugh>

I went to see someone in January who I first heard by accident over thirty years ago and first saw live twenty five years ago. They might have got greyer over the years (haven’t we all?) and their voice might have changed but it is still great to see someone who can perform live and boast a varied back catalogue as well as new material rather than many of the modern acts that seem to be the product of studio production and Photoshop looks; and will disappear and come back in 20 years for a reunion tour.

10. redcgull

redcgull Well-Known Member

I've had this very same conversation with most of my friends as well Dan, to which one of them said the fact that the equipment is so much better now to then means that they can perform to a higher standard now then they ever did before. They perform without the same energy I suppose, I've seen the drummer of Killing Joke be brought on to the stage in a wheelchair, play three tracks then be taken off, so it depends on the music there. I have seen cover bands that if you were close your eyes and just listen swear that they were the real thing, it's massive business as the likes of you, me and my mates love going to them, and feed the need for the real (what's left of some of them in some cases...?!?) and cover bands which will just keep them going...

I'm off to see Metallica soon at the Etihad in Manchester, and I've questioned how do they keep up all of that angst, ferocity and pace going being that they are all fast approaching bus pass age, not that they will need that when the time comes. I saw them back in the day when I was 18 and have seen them countless amount of times, and they still perform to a very high level. That's what make them great in my eyes, they can actually play and play well. Some bands can't play anymore, which is a shame, but you still want to be entertained along the line don't you...??

Deleted....... and Ron like this.

11. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

You had me glued up to this point red <laugh>

12. stick

stick Bumper King

I knew I was getting old when Michael Owen retired from football.

13. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

You are nowhere near old stick. Make the most of it. Oh you are, in your luxury villa <laugh>. Good man

stick likes this.
  14. Cyclonic

Cyclonic Well Hung Member

Anyone moaning about the heat? 24c ... it must have been a killer. <whistle>

OddDog likes this.
  15. OddDog

OddDog Mild mannered janitor
    Staff Member

Still got this saved on my iPhone from just outside Adelaide. Nice and toasty <laugh>

BA224E61-1E8D-4180-8901-8B08A826CE49.png

Cyclonic and Deleted....... like this.
  16. <laugh> Definitely not. In fact I'm in such a good mood I won't even comment about some people wearing less clothing than they really should...

17. Chaninbar

Chaninbar The Crafty Cockney

It's weather like this that proves just how fat we've become as a nation. We used to rip the piss out of the odd fat kid when I was a lad. No chance now they're a fookin army <laugh>.

18. SwanHills

SwanHills Well-Known Member

Saucy sod! Understand in Winter the Queensland temperature can drop to anywhere between +20 down to +9°C. How absolutely awful for you! <laugh>

Last edited: Apr 22, 2019
    Cyclonic likes this.
  19. Bustino74

Bustino74 Thouroughbred Breed Enthusiast

Bad name Redhill. Often the coldest place in England.

OddDog likes this.
  20. Cyclonic

Cyclonic Well Hung Member

If I remember correctly Oddy, there were some 49s in South Australia last Summer.