1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Winter transfer window

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by mick65, Nov 7, 2023.

1. marcusblackcat

marcusblackcat SAFC Sheriff
    Forum Moderator

All about opinions. I see the 6th place differently. I see it as causing furore among some fans who expect us now to get promoted. The league is tougher. Had we finished mid table, a much more realistic and, let’s be honest, we’d all have snapped your hand off fir it at the start of last season, the 6th place, which only happened because of a mental winning run (likes of which I have not seen at SAFC fir many a year, if at all!), was more than we should really have got.

I might be wrong, but I don’t think the hierarchy would’ve expected promotion this season when we first came up after 5 years in the 3rd division. I think they’d be delighted with where we are now.

2. WorkyTicketFTM

WorkyTicketFTM Well-Known Member

The league is tougher because those around us are signing players who are improving them now. Our Xl is no better than it was last season if anything it’s worse. If we don’t go up we lose our best players and we’re relying on young lads to be BETTER than the likes of Neil, Clarke, Ballard etc when they step into their shoes.

People are banking on us getting better over time but not accounting for the fact that other teams aren’t just standing still they’re also improving.

3. Tommyplease

Tommyplease Well-Known Member

It’s the third window running the team entering the window has been better than the team leaving it

Balance sheet probably better if that’s what the direction set from the top is and what Speakman is judged on

Feels like we will need to sign a striker and defensive midfielder in every window from now until eternity

Ronsafc likes this.
  4. Prehab26

Prehab26 Well-Known Member

It's a fair point. When you're not progressing the better players will be on their way. In the summer, it's incredibly likely we lose Clarke and Neil. Maybe Patto and Ballard. The first 2 are near certains to leave. Take them both out of the team and you have to be very optimistic to see that Jobe or Ba can perform as regularly as Clarke and Neil.

The Exile II likes this.
  5. The Exile II

The Exile II Well-Known Member

Yes it was unexpected, but it presented us with an opportunity. There's a difference being seen as being there or thereabouts for promotion rather than mid table fodder when it comes to the type of player we could potentially attract, which is a good thing, but there's also increased expectations from the fanbase.
    Saying we're planning on automatic or playoffs, which has been said by Speakman, and then acting like we're not that interested in doing that, was bound to cause friction.

If he'd come out and said 'look the league was weak last year, we had the surprise factor, and the teams that came down look far stronger now and we'll aim finish as high as we can while sticking to our principles' there would have been some grumping but most sensible people would have said fine.

When actions don't match words, you can see why there's a rumble of him being a bullshitter.

6. The Norton Cat

The Norton Cat Well-Known Member

But it could be that, for example, Mundle turns out to be better than Clarke. We sell Clarke for 25m in the summer and he's replaced by a player who we've signed for a relative pittance but who, by the time he is sold, is worth 40m.
    Our young players are improving and improving together, as a team.
    Just because we're not paying out for players at at their peak, doesn't mean we're not also improving.

7. Essayyeffcee

Essayyeffcee Well-Known Member

Some people just refuse to see any kind of improvement unless millions have been spent

8. marcusblackcat

marcusblackcat SAFC Sheriff
    Forum Moderator

Have to agree to disagree mate (on some points anyhow, completely agree with the stuff Speakman said, but he dud say what fans wanted to hear). I don’t see it as an opportunity, I see it now (with hindsight) as more if an issue. As I say, no point in arguing over it as I’m happy with where we are as a club. Want us in the PL, but nit at the expense of literally being cannon fodder every week

9. WorkyTicketFTM

We’ve lost 12 games already this season did we even lose that many all season last year? How have we improved?

10. Essayyeffcee

Essayyeffcee Well-Known Member

People keep quoting that its a harder league than last season yet we are still there or thereabouts for the playoffs. Would you not count that as an improvement?

Iain, Robertson, clockstander and 2 others like this.

11. Oliver's Army

Oliver's Army Well-Known Member

12. Young Ted

Young Ted Well-Known Member

Some folk just love a moan and they’re entitled they pay there money every week but lord every day that god sends is a bit much,
    As has been said last seasons playoff spot has been a bit of a mill stone for us but let’s see where the 2nd half of the season takes us

13. Wayne the Punk

Wayne the Punk Well-Known Member

My criticism of that transfer window is we brought no one in who will go straight into the first 11, the squad might be better but not the starting 11

Last edited: Feb 2, 2024
    Robertson and The Exile II like this.
  14. Wayne the Punk

Wayne the Punk Well-Known Member

Is this allowed outside the window?

15. Oliver's Army

Think they can get extra time as long as the 'deal sheet' submitted before the deadline.

Wayne the Punk likes this.
  16. Daz

Daz Well-Known Member

That’s what I couldn’t get my head around

Wayne the Punk likes this.
  17. young2077

young2077 Well-Known Member

Be gutted to see both go but think we have more chance of replacing Clarke or being close to.

Neil is the type that is pretty much irreplaceable, he is a lad that can go on to be at the very top teams with a trophy cabinet needed at home to display his winners medals.

He just looks effortless to me, can beat a man with a pass or clever feet has definitely cut down on the mistakes this year aswell. Still only 22 and plays like a seasoned pro at this level and is ready for the step up. Is he goes I hope he goes to the very top. If he ends up at Liverpool I'll be dissapointed Klopp isn't there to help him develop, if we lose him I want him to win trophies like Henderson!

18. WorkyTicketFTM

We’re also only 3 points off mid table though so no not really, we’ve lost more games than Huddersfield in 21st place.

Robertson likes this.
  19. Oliver's Army

Apologies if posted but in Styles' interview video both him and the interview say the move has been 'years' in the making. Have we been linked with him before?

Robertson likes this.
  20. Scootsie

Scootsie Well-Known Member

Sure we were linked with him in the promotion season.

Robertson, Prehab26 and Oliver's Army like this.