1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Winchester

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by Wolfy, Jan 19, 2021.

1. The Norton Cat

The Norton Cat Well-Known Member

Football Manager has him classified as being able to play central defensive midfield, midfield, and attacking midfield. So, on that basis I'm going to assume there is a more attacking side to his game than he's shown in his brief appearances so far.

2. FellTop

FellTop Well-Known Member

I must admit I thought he was an 8 based on reading online reviews. I hope so because we dont have one in my opinion and it is a massive problem for us. I actually think at times we pick a formation around not having one.

Robertson and The Norton Cat like this.
  3. SAFCDRUM

SAFCDRUM Well-Known Member

Anyone knocking LJ should give their head a shake.

4. Nads

Nads Well-Known Member

OP didn’t say the lad was ****, he said he’s clearly not someone that we needed.

I find it difficult to argue with that.

Makemstine Roger and Wolfy like this.
  5. King Kareoke

King Kareoke Well-Known Member

I think he will need pace around him and he would do the neat and tidy work. Unfortunately there is no pace around him Was hoping Dan Neil would perhaps offer this but don't know enough about him and may be clutching at straws. If not we need some pace in that midfield (mind you I have said that every season for donkeys)

Makemstine Roger likes this.
  6. Makemstine Roger

Makemstine Roger Well-Known Member

from what i saw Wolfy is totally correct we bought an 8 year used Winchester with broken trigger and sights instead of buying a new Lee Enfield. Since we found out about the club owing a lot of money for Alvarez i think having passed everything required KLD is holding back signing until he checks all skeletons in the cupboard are know about, and are paid up before he puts pen to paper, cant blame him. Getting back on to Winchester Sunderland must be his biggest signing to date, and should have been busting a gut to show what he has, what we got was a lack lustre performance from an under average league 1 player that we didn't need , instead of a decent striker which we all know we need desperately., the Argyle player in that position was much better than him. The whole team gave a very poor performance, the money the majority of these players are has proved they are overpaid for the quality they have. We need to offer most for sale and start again with only a few exceptions There are 5 at the club i would keep the rest bye bye

Last edited: Jan 20, 2021
    Wolfy likes this.
  7. Smug in Boots

Smug in Boots Well-Known Member

That may well be the case if we're intent on keeping, and playing, Dobson, Power, Leadbitter.

I think Winchester is just what we need because he's the type who'll run for ever and do what the manager is asking.

Some of the play, last night, was obviously against the game plan.

I saw that, time and again, with di Canio with the likes of O'Shea who'd decide he was in charge once he was on the pitch.

rooch 3 likes this.
  8. rowley

rowley Well-Known Member

Wouldn't want to jump on this lad yet mind.

He has just turned up, and would be hoping that others in the team would be leading it, which is where the real proble lies. He may be a solution to that, but if he is, give him five minutes.

9. Mackem74

Mackem74 Well-Known Member

Interesting take. Any examples? Not having a pop just genuinely interested.

10. marcusblackcat

marcusblackcat SAFC Sheriff
    Forum Moderator

See you’re one of those fans who gives zero chance to anyone. He’s played 80 minutes fir us and he’s “not what we need”!! Ffs

I give up

RokSol and Montysoptician like this.

11. marcusblackcat

marcusblackcat SAFC Sheriff
    Forum Moderator

The op is blatantly

12. LBW

LBW Well-Known Member

The lad has barely played 90 mins, he’s new to the team, the tactics, the area, and that pitch won’t have helped. Give the lad a fair crack and judge him at the end of the season.

13. Jack Ford

Jack Ford Well-Known Member

Well said. Some over the road are writing him off after one gameFFS

14. Makemstine Roger

we are not writing him off , we are saying he is not what we wanted, the position he was bought to play in we have a lot of the same type of player with the same type of skill level and from what we saw he is no better that what we have already we needed a striker, Cast your mind back to new signings that we thought weren't up to it on their first game and still weren't after a fair crack of the whip

Wolfy likes this.
  15. Montysoptician

Montysoptician Well-Known Member

If he's not what we need Roger, then you have to blame Johnson for signing him.

I trust Johnson and Spearman, they know what we want and what players are available within the restrictions of the wage cap, none of us know how much wriggle room there is but they will know and plan accordingly.

I can't understand people writing him off after less than 90 minutes game time. Johnson must see something in him to sign him so I trust his judgement over people whose football experience is limited to 5 a side with their mates and FM on the computer.

16. The Norton Cat

The Norton Cat Well-Known Member

Totally agree with you. But you can learn a lot from FM!

17. Makemstine Roger

but was it Johnsons choice mate? until KLD officially takes over who gets to decide who signs and who doesn't, from the few games he has been in charge my spirits have been up and down like a whores knickers. We are defiantly not consistent i like what he says, Is he the right man for the job, time will tell, as regards Winchester is he better that what we have, not on yesterdays performance, we have a few people to fill that spot Dobson is better but we probably have a buyer for Dobson, hence go for a cheaper option and that smells of Donald interfering, As far as some guys on a computer i trust Nads viewpoint to spot a good player he says someone we don't need , that's good enough for me.

Wolfy likes this.
  18. Montysoptician

Montysoptician Well-Known Member

I am sure you can but I've ever been on it so I probably shouldn't use it as an example.

19. Robertson

Robertson Well-Known Member

Maybe with Winchester, his signing is about the way that LJ wants to play through midfield. It only works if the other CM's, defence and full backs are on the same wavelength.

Put him into a well-drilled, like-minded team and he might look the part. We are a work in progress after all.

Winchester isn't the quality striker that we have been screaming for. It's not his fault though.

Makemstine Roger likes this.
  20. Makemstine Roger

Last edited: Jan 20, 2021