1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Winchester

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by Wolfy, Jan 19, 2021.

1. Montysoptician

Montysoptician Well-Known Member

In my opinion it's too early to judge Winchester but he is definitely Johnsons choice, in an interview Johnson said that he was a level above. I don't want to be disparaging to anyone but Johnson and Spearman are at the helm and are working, within the constraints of the salary cap, to their plan.

My point is that Johnson and Spearman have all the information available and the experience to know what is required so I would rather place my trust in them than someone without that information.

I must admit I have seen nothing in Winchester yet but I won't judge him until he has been here a while. I think Dobson has been poor even at this level, I thought he looked good in his first game but haven't seen anything since.

2. Wolfy

Wolfy Well-Known Member

I wouldn’t bother mate, some people only read what they want to read.

COYCS and Makemstine Roger like this.
  3. Makemstine Roger

Makemstine Roger Well-Known Member

Monty mate if we all thought the same there would be no need for this forum, i enjoy reading your thoughts and the more peoples views are seen the more we can better judge, my view is i didn't see anything in the guy that would get me excited, time will tell but over the years i have supported, this would not be the first time we bought a dud, I think we have better academy players Diamond springs to mind looked decent first time i saw him getting Better every game he plays

Last edited: Jan 20, 2021
  4. The Norton Cat

The Norton Cat Well-Known Member

I remember being completely underwhelmed by Kevin Phillips after his first game. I think most people were. I've just looked it up and after 15 games he had 4 goals. Then look what happened.

5. Makemstine Roger

then we have the other side of the coin
    Tore Andre Flo, Milton Nunez Kelvin Davis Gareth Hall Lee Camp Will Grigg Danny Graham to name only a few from a massive list

clockstander and Wolfy like this.
  6. Snaggey

Snaggey Well-Known Member

Think back to Jan Kirchhoff's debut, he was written off as ****e.
    Think back to Stan Varga's first debut vs Arsenal.
    Their debuts were like chalk and cheese.
    Can't really make a fair judgement of a player after one game.

7. Makemstine Roger

but the consensus is not that he is crap but we saw nothing to get excited about, and could be another dud on that performance, not that he is mate, but yea get what your saying

8. Montysoptician

Montysoptician Well-Known Member

Spot on Roger, if we all agreed on everything it would be boring. I have disagreements with the people I go to the match with but we never fall out and always go for a meal and a pint after the game.

I agree with you completely about Diamond, he looks a real prospect. I watched him once or twice at the U23 games before he went out on loan and he looked the part then.

9. Makemstine Roger

thanks for that reply mate in closing i don't think the guy is what we need, if I'm proved wrong ok, its a forum on opinions but as we all hope i will back anyone who can steer us out of this league.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2021
  10. Best uncapped Keeper

Best uncapped Keeper Well-Known Member

So far LJ seems to know what we need and if he sees that in a player who has played for him before and more recently been plying his trade in a team local to him I am prepared to give him time to settle in and show what he can do.

11. Sunderpitt

Sunderpitt Well-Known Member

Well of course he needs a few games, he was not awful just not good and it imho Leads gives us more, despite not being 'quick'

12. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

Apart from the fact you can't write players off after one game, the state of the pitch might have had a big effect on his natural game. Hard enough making a debut at the best of times but when the whole team has a mare, and you're a mobile midfielder who pings it around on the deck, playing in a swamp is going to be an issue.

13. Wolfy

Wolfy Well-Known Member

You’ve made some brilliant points in this thread mate. Fair play for seeing it from a practical point of view.

Robertson and Makemstine Roger like this.
  14. FellTop

FellTop Well-Known Member

It is also likely to be a signing for the longer term. Leadbitter cant go on for ever. Power has had enough time in centre mid and is getting worse not better. Dobson has had his chance and doesnt seem to be fancied. Take them 3 out for next season and you may think we need someone in there. Ultimately we have a bunch of central midfielders who havent done it. We need change. It cant all be done next summer and not everyone coming in can be from a higher standard purely on economics. LJ has coached him before so I am hoping he will grow into the team and show up much better than last night. All opinions valid but for me I am hoping in time he proves a marked upgrade on most of our central midfield options as it is an area of the pitch we look weak in game after game.

15. Smug in Boots

Smug in Boots Well-Known Member

I agree with all that.

Even if, as an example, Winchester is only as good as Maguire.

He'll be more likely to be consistent, dedicated and able to follow the manager's instructions ...

... also less likely to be disruptive.

Johnson obviously sees attitude as a major part of his philosophy and that's the key imo.

Winchester has been a captain, at previous clubs, and is highly respected ...

... Maguire is 'a character'.

16. Roppa

Roppa Well-Known Member

Think he got 4 in his first six then got injured didn’t he m8? We got beat at Sheffield Utd first game then beat Man City at the stadium, think he scored in that one then never looked back. Take your point though far too early to judge the lad.

17. Wolfy

Wolfy Well-Known Member

Still very unimpressed by him. Would have got sent off if he’d have stayed on the pitch in the second half imo. Good decision by LJ that to take him off.

Makemstine Roger likes this.
  18. Mav3rick

Mav3rick Well-Known Member

Don't think he is very good at all very impressed! He would have been sent off for sure if he didn't get subbed. Hopefully he comes good

Makemstine Roger likes this.
  19. marcusblackcat

marcusblackcat SAFC Sheriff
    Forum Moderator

Lots of talk on here of us needing a top striker. We have one. He is 3rd top this division only 1 goal behind the other 2. There are also only 10 people in all 4 divisions who have scored more. And only Mo Salah in the PL.

not sure what anyone wants or expects but we have, in no uncertain terms, got one of the best centre forwards in this league

FellTop likes this.
  20. Saf

Saf Not606 Godfather+NOT606 Poster of the year 2023

Whaaaaaaaaat

The first game I seen him was against Ajax. I remember going home after that and telling everybody who would listen that we had found a brilliant striker who would score loads for us. You could tell he was a terrific player by his movement and reading of the game, imo.