1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

VAR

Discussion in 'Gillingham' started by alwaysright, Jun 30, 2017.

1. alwaysright

alwaysright @ Very Angry Camel

I am more than happy to see Leeds lose -but.......This has to be the worst VAR decision -- EVER
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54855596

Football rules - and their implementation has taken a ridiculous 'turn.' The nonsense regarding from what part of an arm is or isn't offside is utterly stupid. The controversy this creates is ruining the spectacle of the game - and causes so much delay. I am beginning to lose the will to live as I await the resultant - but- all too often idiocy.

I can understand the principle behind the offside rule. I can understand that a line needs to be drawn - and that in these times, offside is measured in millimetres -but - there needs to be some better interpretation - or tweak of the offside rule - the measurement for which should not include any part of the arm ( defender or attacker. )

Perhaps Football should adopt a more clear-cut interpretation when it considers 'offside' decisions?..... Here's a thought -- How about drawing the 'line' where only a player's foot is in relation to the defence. I appreciate that it will still be measured in millimetres.................. but, then I expect that we'll still have the ridiculous situation as to which part of the arm is / isn't handball.

2. alwaysright

Here we go again...
    Liverpool's Gomez is performing some sort of spinning manoeuvre in his penalty area -- as the ball comes across him. He is so obviously - desperately, trying to move his left arm down and away from the ball - when it hits his elbow --- and the idiot** with the whistle gives a penalty.

** I say idiot - but - he has no choice. The rule regarding handbaall has changed - - it appears that it is no longer permissible to handle it 'accidentally' --- and it no longer matters if the ball hits the hand / arm / some bit of the shirtsleeve etc - rather than a defender moving his hand to the ball.

..... I really am getting seriously P'd off with this type of nonsense in the game........ I did have pleasure in shouting my thoughts at De B when he cocked up the penalty.
    ..... another £1 in the swear box..... should have enough to pay for Christmas.

3. alwaysright

And yet......
    City's Cancelo turns towards the ball - whilst raising his arms ( as if ), to block the ball - which strikes his arm ---- no penalty !!!
    ...... excuse me whilst I quietly ** go mad.

** not so quietly.

4. gioblues

gioblues Well-Known Member

Wolves game. Lol same as

5. gioblues

Anyone see MLS penalty shoot out. Orlando goalkeeper saves penalty but is given second yellow card for coming off line so sent off. If you actually see it looks like he jumps off the line to save it. Mental

brb likes this.
  6. alwaysright

There's nothing wrong with VAR ! ..... It's the Rules and their interpretation that's killing the game.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55193287

In essence, VAR is ( should be ), good for Football..... but the ever-changing Rules and interpretations are killing the game.... VAR should help to prevent the injustice of wrong decisions - but it seems that Football Governing bodies are hell bent on frustrating fans...
    ... Now ( given that I hate all things Leeds ! ), how can Patrick Bamford be given '' Offside'' - just because his extended arm, with finger pointing to his team as to where he wants the ball 'played,' and happens to be beyond the last defender ? --- despite the fact that Bamford's feet were 'onside' - AND - the fact that Bamford was not permitted to score with his hands.

MIND YOU ..............just exactly what is handball these days ? - when it apparently depends on the length of the shirtsleeve !!............. Can somebody explain how you can be allowed to score with your armpit -- because that must be so - if an armpit can be given 'offside'

The Interpretation of what part of the body ( with which you can legally score ), is considered as being offside - and what constitutes handball has become a joke. These two aspects of the game is killing Football as a spectator sport.

there's nothing wrong with VAR - it's the stupid rules that need to be given a strong dose of common sense.

7. alwaysright

8. gioblues

VAR at its best between Burnley and Leeds. :emoticon-0138-think:emoticon-0127-lipss

9. alwaysright

another one for brb !
    Fulham v West Ham.... 90th minute.... there is a 'coming together' with Fulham's Mitrovic and Soucek of The Hammers. As the players tried to disentangle themselves, Soucek's arm is raised ( in an obvious attempt to 'release' himself from Mitrovic. ) Soucek's elbow connects (accidentally) with Mitrovic's face.... The VAR referee, Lee Mason, tells the match referee ( Mike Dean ) to take a look at VAR for possible violent conduct.... Mitrovic ( the 'victim' ), tries to approach Dean - in what looked like an attempt to concede that the blow to his face was an accident --- but Dean is not interested in listening. .... He then looks at the replay of the incident on the pitchside monitor ---- at least 20 times !!! - and then decides that it was a clear act of violence !!!! Mitrovic tries to intervene - but Dean continues to make an anus of himself and produces the red card for Soucek......

....Thankfully the incident occurred so late in the game, it didn't have any effect on the score -- and the card will probably be overturned - but- that is not the point... I thought that the referee going to the monitor still has a duty to decide that any subsequent decision had to be clear & obvious........ this was a dreadful decision by the idiot with the whistle - who wouldn't even listen to the 'victim.'

brb likes this.
  10. brb

brb CR250

One of the two players tried to con the ref or the system, the only decision that needs making is which one was it. If the red card gets lifted, then it should be applied to the opposing player. <ok>

See all rules have a simple answer. <laugh>

11. alwaysright

brb - I don't know if you watched the game - or seen the incident -- but -- it clearly was an accident.... Mitrovic ( the victim ) tries to plead for Soucek - but Mike Dean won't listen... then takes many viewings before deciding that there was no doubt that it was an act of violence !!! Mike DEAN's interpretation is a disgrace .... I've previously said that I don't want players to escape punishment for cheating etc - and welcomed VAR - hoping that it would redress any injustices .....
    I didn't really think I was so naive as to believe that it wouldn't create controversy ---- it's destroying the game.......... and I still don't know what is or isn't handball any more.

brb likes this.
  12. brb

brb CR250

It was no accident. The elbow was intentionally raised to stand his ground. The other player then feigned an elbow to the face. The ref shouldn't have just let it go, I agree on that bit. But having dealt with the incident the ref decided to make a decision. The only error the ref made for me, was he sent the wrong player off. His offence, being a clown.

13. brb

brb CR250

14. gioblues

Is this the same Dean that sent off
    Is this same Mike Dean who wrongly sent off Bednarek against Man Utd after looking at screen. He has had a very poor week

alwaysright likes this.
  15. alwaysright

Where was VAR?
    Watching MoTD - Villa v Arsenal.... Ball crossed into Villa's 6 yard box. Villa's keeper grabs a handful of Lacazette's shirt and pulls him down to the ground - nothing given !!
    It is these types of non decisions that are frustrating me more than the injustices that existed without the benefit of VAR ---- so what was the team in the VAR studio doing ? Absolutely NO excuse to fail to see the incident and ask the referee to award a penalty - Mike Dean wouldn't have hesitated.

16. gioblues

Yes what were the VAR people looking at. Was so blatant.

17. alwaysright

What the Hell !
    ..... are Chelsea players complaining about ? - They're going mad - and giving the referee real grief --
    VAR has, quite rightly 'awarded' a penalty for Liverpool - when Reece James 'juggled ' with the ball on the goalline - trouble is - he isn't the Chelsea keeper.

There should have been no argument by the Chelsea players - but their behaviour was disgraceful - The FA needs to take action against them --- perhaps they could have 90+ seconds deprived of them at the end of the game if they are chasing an equaliser !!

Seriously - I thought that the harassment of the referee was supposed to have stopped !

18. alwaysright

France 1 VAR 0

I no longer know when a player is offside - or not......... and nor do the VAR team know what is the letter of the law on the subject.

Mbappe scores for France - after receiving the ball whilst being in an 'offside' position on the pitch -- there was no disputer about that ! ---- but the goal was deemed as NOT offside. ..... and - technically, the decision was correct (( according to a personal interpretation of the 'rules', by a VAR referee on this occasion .))

The explanation for the farcical interpretation, was that the ball 'touched' a Spanish player before it reached Mbappe - thus creating a 'new' phase of play... What a load of coq. I concede that the Spaniard had tried to intercept the pass intended for Mbappe - and that a slight touch was made - but not enough to prevent the ball reaching Mbappe - I am finding it difficult to accept that the 'move' ( from the initial pass - to reception of the ball by the Frenchman ) wasn't one phase of play.......

It would seem that decision by the VAR team, was based on 'interpretation', rather than the letter of the law !...I thought that VAR was intended to eliminate this anomaly.... I thought that, with VAR, a player's position is calculated at the moment a forward pass is made (( not half way )) before the ball reaches the player --- cast your minds when you see the replays -- TV replays draw the lines across the pitch - so as to determine that a toenail is an 'offside' position when the frame is frozen just as the forward-passing player makes contact - not 5 or 10 yards later.... What happens to the ball, on route is irrelevant.....

..... the goal was OFFSIDE

19. alwaysright

I wonder what Ryan Jackson thinks about VAR ? - idiot ( and very lucky ) ... I'm not sure if I want Gills to profit from his stupidity going 'unseen'

20. brb

brb CR250

What did I miss? <laugh>