1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

VAR

Discussion in 'Gillingham' started by alwaysright, Jun 30, 2017.

1. gioblues

gioblues Well-Known Member

Prem clubs can't afford to pay all of it. Disgraceful

2. alwaysright

alwaysright @ Very Angry Camel

VAR - let's throw it in the bin .................... along with fingerprinting and DNA testing !!!
    At yesterday's Gills game, the linesman on the GRS was awful (( nothing new )). He couldn't keep up with play, and missed several offsides (for both teams !)

I have always said that I do not like the offside rule. Any player in an offside position will cause a distraction and confusion for defenders, whilst his 'onside' team mates take advantage. The rule is open to a far too loose interpretation by the referee......... but if we're going to have a rule - any rule should be completely equitable for both teams.

In Friday's game ( Wolves v Leicester ), VAR intervened to cancel a Wolves goal - because a player's toe was offside (( and missed by the linesman - who, at least, was in line with play.)) The decision was correct. It was exactly the sort of reason why VAR was introduced. It might be a little too 'forensic' for some people - but until we had DNA, several murderers were allowed to walk free !!

VAR is designed to make fairness for all. It might be seen to be a little cruel when a goal celebration has to be cancelled - because of tight decisions - but - tight decisions are exactly the ones that the match officials cannot detect ( a bit like finger prints and DNA at a crime scene ).

Maybe a little bit more commonsense should be applied to some VAR decisions? With regards to offside - it shouldn't matter what part of your body is in an offside position, so long as the part of the body that first makes contact with the ball is actually onside !.................. or my suggestion (( if we really must have the damned offside rule )), draw a line 30 yards out from goal. If any part of your body is on the wrong side of the line - then it's offside.

Anyone who complains about VAR should remember that it is intended to bring justice to football! Would you be happy for the Police not to use fingerprinting, DNA, or any other technology, if a member of your family was murdered ?

3. brb

brb CR250

You forget one thing though my friend. It's a game of football, and that's all I want to go to watch. If they feel the need to bring forensic science into offside decisions, then the game is finished for me, I'd rather go watch a non league game where it's not used, if it came to it.

There is a thing called sportsmanship, VAR destroys that fundamental rule and foundation of our game. A toe is not offside, the rules of the last century were not made for VAR. If you wish to implement the technology, then change the rules. Players cheated before VAR, and players will evolve, yes evolve to use VAR's weaknesses to cheat further, you will not stop cheating, all you will succeed in doing is killing the game.

4. alwaysright

brb
    I'm not saying that VAR is perfect - but - what existed before it was utter incompetence of the officials ( which we still get at Priestfield ). VAR is designed to help the referee to implement the rules.
    I accept that players will cheat ( ask Barry Fuller ) - but we needed to have a system where decisions needed to be available in black and white. Maybe football is naive in thinking that technology used in other sports would be accepted without question - but - if football did nothing, if it doesn't use technology to help the referee, then nothing was ever going to be changed -- and cheating would continue.

As a personal preference, I would rather not watch any form of football if cheating is allowed to exist without being addressed. You say that players will cheat to beat VAR -- players will have to be much more clever to do so --- I believe that the instance of cheating has diminished since VAR......... and you must admit that, where we don't have VAR, and players like Ramsey ( Doncaster's No. 14 ), will cheat left, right and centre - the crowd gets very animated - EVERY time a player cheats ---- and, despite what you want to say - cheating is not football.

brb likes this.
  5. gioblues

W
    What are you insinuating about Mr Fuller?

brb likes this.
  6. grumpygit

grumpygit les misérable

"Clear and obvious error"
    The forensic investigation is neither clear or obvious.

brb likes this.
  7. brb

brb CR250

I think VAR merely plays to the advantage of top teams, just as one example; the FA Cup. How else are clubs from old such as the crazy gang teams, going to beat the likes of todays billionaires, or the Gillingham's taking on the West Ham's...cheating has a place more so than a sterile game. Give me a Charlie Lee or a Barry Fuller any day of the week, rather than some tart that rolls about the ground, as though he's been shot. If I want sterile, I'll watch Formula One, and I turned that off many years ago, for precisely the same reasons.

8. alwaysright

brb
    You say that you don't like players going down as if they've been shot -- but -- the 'forensic' scrutiny of VAR will give a clearer indication if contact was made..... and, apparently, football is not a contact sport.
    I know that we'll never agree on the subject of VAR - no problem ............ in the meantime, in the absence of VAR at Priestfield, I do my best to assist the officials.

brb likes this.
  9. alwaysright

I might have misled you. I was suggesting that Fuller was the recipient of some horrible cheating in yesterday's game - Barry wouldn't hurt a fly <whistle>

The Gills PegLeg, brb and grumpygit like this.
  10. brb

brb CR250

Ahhhh the I've been shot tactics...well sadly I actually feel VAR has made that worse, because VAR has the incapability of telling the difference of being tickled with a feather or being downed as a result of a sawn off. In both instances there will be no blood, unless someone sneaked a real shotgun in, under ones jacket, while a steward was still left wandering around aimlessly looking to find who owned that lost season ticket, that you told us about the other week, despite having a photograph to aid them. It's called playing the advantage and strikers will always get what they desire, with the morons we have managing the decisions on the replays. All they look for is did he touch him...well of course he touched the striker, the bleeding striker made sure he did, the rush of air as the goalie shot off his line, was enough to blow the forward straight off his feet! Ref, ref, decision PENALTY!

alwaysright likes this.

11. alwaysright

They think it's all over ( the goal line ).............well, it is now Offside !

In 1966 England won the World Cup - but was all of the ball over the goal line ? - or did a Russian linesman take some revenge on the Germans for what happened in World War 2 ?

Since then we have had many occasions when goals have not been awarded - due to a lack of certainty if the ball crossed the goal line. Fans have screamed for goal line technology - and got it.......... and have accepted decisions - without question. The referees now get 'text alerts' to tell them - and the fans then see it on the big screen. Joy and anguish from opposing fans can be measured in millimetres (( 220 to be exact )) --- and yet the decision is accepted, even if the ball is only one millimetre over the line.

........................ So - why can't football fans accept the same ( millimetre ) decision when VAR shows that a player is offside ?

If you steal one penny or £1 Million, it's still theft. At the moment of conception, a woman becomes pregnant. The foetus isn't going to be one millimetre long - yet the woman is pregnant !

I find it incredible that football fans can bleat when a player is adjudged to be a millimetre offside - yet will readily accept that it's not a goal -despite the fact that 219 millimetres of the ball's diameter has crossed the goal line.

12. alwaysright

The next time somebody shoves me.............
    I will change my name to Maguire and kick them in a tender place ....... to stop them falling over ! (( over to you brb ))

I have to agree with brb ( sometimes ). The non red card for Maguire is what makes VAR a mockery of the fairness it was intended to bring. I defy anyone to tell me that Maguire did not deserve a red card - and that Tottenham's Son's red card kick was any different.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2020
    brb likes this.
  13. grumpygit

grumpygit les misérable

I don't know if anyone ever listens to the Peter Crouch pod cast, this episode has Mike Dean on.
    The VAR topic comes up at about 35 minutes in, although the whole thing is worth a listen.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p083tjn0

14. alwaysright

Covid 19 claims another victim

How the Hell did the Officials not see the ball cross the AstonVilla goal line - or does social distancing mean that the ball must now be two metres into the goal before it can be awarded.

VAR - What a joke

15. Resurgam

Resurgam Top Analyst
    Staff Member

Apparently 'Hawkeye' unreservedly apologises.
    It seems the camera was blocked by the keeper and the goal post <laugh>

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53086360

brb likes this.
  16. brb

brb CR250

Er...cough, cough....hmmm think I might have a fever <laugh>

How many times have I been outspoken about technology in the game.....but nah did any of you listen!? <whistle>

17. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Jeepers brb are you still ranting about that old chestnut.........................

According to the News tonight ALL football fans have been waiting like a virgin sailor at a brothel gate for the "Premier League" to restart. Is it just me or do others not give a monkeys armpit about the Premier League?

18. alwaysright

I don't know if I want to watch football any more.

Harry Kane scores a perfectly good goal - then an imbecile in a room ( they should lock the door and throw away the key ), decides that the ball has brushed the back of Moura's arm - whilst he was pre-occupied in preventing serious injury after being fouled by 3 Sheffield Utd players !...... I'm not convinced that any form of contact was made with Moura ( by the ball ) ----- but ---

even if the ball did slightly touch the back of Moura's arm - HOW on Earth can that be adjudged as 'deliberate.' ------ PLEASE DO NOT tell me that there is now no such thing as ''accidental'' handball -- I know the rules --- and also know that a whole herd (( is that the right collective noun )), of DONKEYS have ruined the game -------------------- this AR$E ( I won't disrespect Asses by using their name ), of a rule needs to be changed --- can I suggest one that includes at least one molecule of commonsense.

ps - what happened to the free kick that should have been awarded for the foul ? You can't tell me that the passage of play had 'passed' - because retrospective red cards can be awarded.

gioblues likes this.
  19. gioblues

Oh dear what a terrible evening for VAR. First Spurs should of got a penalty then Southampton got a penalty that wasn't and then man utd get penalty that wasn't aswell.

20. alwaysright

Even as someone who ''follows'' Spurs - they got more than they deserved -- from one of the most dreadful games I have seen (( and I have seen a LOT of Gills matches. ))
    ps - I think Michael Oliver must be an Arsenal fan !