1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

VAR

Discussion in 'Gillingham' started by alwaysright, Jun 30, 2017.

1. alwaysright

alwaysright @ Very Angry Camel

Jackson was very lucky not to have got a straight red --- for kicking out at a Cheltenham player.... everyone else saw it ( except the referee - and. of course, Mr. Magoo with the flag.

brb likes this.
  2. brb

brb CR250

I never saw it mate, but to be honest it was so depressing it's amazing I lasted the whole game. And what's with their goal, did it cross the line?

3. alwaysright

What do you think - it was given by Mr. Magoo !..... I see Evans is using the 'shocking' referee as this week's excuse - I think that the referee had suffered from a lack of sleep due to having to bottle feed at 2am, and nappy change at 6 in the morning.

brb likes this.
  4. brb

brb CR250

No way it crossed the line in my opinion, but my eyes are no better than Mr. Magoo's, so can't wait to see the replay of it.

5. alwaysright

Am I simply being naive ? .....but -I'm not so stupid as not to realise that VAR is making a mockery of the 'concept.'

Last night, I watched the Man Utd v Aston Villa FA Cup game - and enjoyed the competitive nature of the game -- which was spoilt by the farce that was VAR.... Villa had 2 'goals' disallowed...
    No argument with 'goal' No.2... but - what was wrong with 'goal' No.1 ?? - please don't give me the 'Official' version.... There might have been some case for offside somewhere during the flight of the ball into the 6 yard box - or a slight suspicion of handball - but - none of that was the decision, by which the 'goal' was cancelled......it was some feeble 'interpretation ( by a referee determined that Villa would not score ), that Cavani was 'obstructed'............ what a load of cock !

SO - if we are expected to accept that a 'foul' will be given for this 'infringement', I have to ask 'Why are there virtually no fouls ( other than the non-existent ones one the goalkeeper ), whenever a corner is taken' ? .... There is a general 'free-f-r-all' before and during the flight of the kick - but nothing is awarded - even when VAR is available....... why is VAR used in one game - and not another ?....... and that leads me on to my main gripe....

Is is fair that VAR is used in the FA Cup ( at grounds involving Premier league clubs ) - but not in ties where VAR is not available... Do it for all ties - or NONE of them.

brb likes this.
  6. brb

brb CR250

Players such as Kane, Vardy and Cavani have all learned how to use VAR to their benefit, we've replaced cheating with a new brand of cheating. Cavani see's man, Cavani runs into man, Cavani falls to ground...no relevance to the goal scored by Villa, no relevance to the man in black, but then VAR....let's scrutinise every aspect of the video and find a reason not to give the goal. Cavani already knows his theatrical performace will get the goal wiped off.

Clear and obvious, yeah right.

alwaysright likes this.
  7. poshfan

poshfan Well-Known Member

Var only works for the big so called teams ......and Manchester united is not one of the big teams now on the pitch

8. alwaysright

Has the offside rule been changed................... AGAIN?
    Liverpool were awarded a penalty - after VAR spotted that Jota had been fouled (( according to modern interpretation of what is considered to be a foul. )) - BUT -
    I thought that, even with the stupidity that VAR brings to the game, the one redeeming factor was that VAR was supposed to clear up any doubt when a player is offside....... and that if a player makes an attempt to play the ball, he ( or she/ transgender/binary/sheep ), are deemed to be offside.... So -
    Why wasn't Firmino adjudged to be offside as the ball is crossed into the Palace penalty area (( before it lands at the feet of Alex O-C, who then scores )). Firmino clearly jumped to try to header the ball - AND - was a 'mile' offside (( as defined by VAR's interpretation of distance these days. ))

9. gioblues

gioblues Well-Known Member

VAR asks more questions that answers.

alwaysright likes this.
  10. gioblues

gioblues Well-Known Member

How was Middleborough goal not handball VAR lol

11. alwaysright

Utter stupidity
    How did VAR NOT think that Rodrigo ( Man City ), had not moved his arm to 'engage' the ball ????? It WAS a bloody penalty !!!

brb likes this.
  12. brb

brb CR250

It's because it clearly wasn't handball, do you need glasses mate?

Look at the picture, first his left arm, now the other side, you can clearly see he don't have a right arm, so it can't be handball...

please log in to view this image

Resurgam and alwaysright like this.
  13. alwaysright

brb - I genuinely cannot understand the handball & offside rule..... especially when an armpit can be considered as an 'offending' part of your body !
    The City player moved his arm towards the ball - and yet a buffoon ( not even with a whistle ) couldn't be sure !
    ... thank you for being stuppid - and your reward is my anniversary gift to you --- a day early -- 10 years and I still won't let you forget.

brb likes this.
  14. brb

brb CR250

15. alwaysright

In all seriousness....
    It's about time that goal line technology exists in ALL EFL grounds.... I know I may be biased - but, yesterday, all the ball was behind the Wycombe goal line... I will concede that (( as per the nonsense when a corner is taken )), I couldn't be certain that a small fraction of its' circumference, wasn't 'overhanging' the airspace above the goal line... In the 'spirit' of the situation, the corpulent linesman must have been able to see the 'clear daylight' that I detected - between ball and inside of the painted line............... and if he couldn't, it adds to my argument in this matter..

16. alwaysright

And another thing....
    Whilst I am contributing to this (technological ) thread - I think it's high time that the 90 minute clock should be held by the 4th ( or 5th ) Official. This person should be required to stop the clock every time there is a 'break' in play - for injuries etc etc. The clock can be restarted the moment the ball is in play. (( it happens in rugby ! ))
    Yesterday, at the end of the 2nd half, a minimum of 5 additional minutes was signalled. There was a 'break' in play in this period - plus - Wycombe were guilty of outrageous time wasting - and - my watch showed only 4 minutes and a bit were played (( when it probably should have been 6 or more. ))

Technology exist (( whether or not brb likes the matter. )) It is ridiculous that the same technology is not applied to ALL EFL fixtures.

brb likes this.
  17. brb

brb CR250

please log in to view this image

alwaysright likes this.
  18. brb

brb CR250

I despair, not even a red, VAR has taken cheating to a whole new level (contains swear words)...

19. alwaysright

It beggars belief that one of the (( allegedly)) best referees, can get it so wrong... I'm not suggesting that it should have been a red card - but - Fabinho had been guilty of persistent fouling - and not received a previous yellow card (( which is what this foul deserved. ))

I might be accused of cynicism -- and, on many occasions, you might be right -- but - we're talking about top - professional referees - with technology at their disposal - and yet - they get it so incredibly wrong, the only conclusion is that they are cheating....... The only other reason for such poor decisions is that the referees are utterly useless and should be commanded to insert their whistle into a different orifice.

20. brb

brb CR250

I've come to the conclusion that VAR is there to favour certain teams, dependent on your club badge. If you are Leeds with a two footed challenge, the ref will go to VAR, if you are Liverpool with a forearm smash, nowt to see here.

Rather than stopping cheating, it's enhanced it to a whole new level, dependent on the value of your club, and what's even worse it's become the new normal, we've actually normalised this cheating, where fans have become to accept it favours certain teams, and have given up contesting it.

TV Football is scheduled around certain teams, based on viewing figures and the overall value £££$$$ of that transmission, so my theory is VAR cannot be seen to undemine the starring role (team).

Afterall TV money holds more value than gate money these days, hence why the Prem was happy to play behind closed doors during covid, fans why do we need them to attend, they have tv contracts to fulfill worth millions.

In short, I'm suggesting corruption at the highest levels, the same as there use to be in Italian football - 1973 Brian Clough, Stadio Comunale di Torino, Juventus v Derby.

Last edited: May 8, 2022
    poshfan and alwaysright like this.