1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic UK / EU Future

Discussion in 'Watford' started by Leo, Feb 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. oldfrenchhorn

oldfrenchhorn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

In 2004 the UK still had a holding in Airbus, so things have changed rather since then. A couple of years later when the holding was sold, the government was able to agree that production to a fixed percentage would continue. That still exists, but this government is prepared to throw it all away. Very sad, but in 2004 we still had a stake in a project that did make some money, but sold it off to pay out a large dividend to the shareholders of BAE.

2. Scullion

Scullion Well-Known Member

Honda stated today in their press conference that the closure of the plant had nothing to do with Brexit.

3. superhorns

superhorns Well-Known Member

These remainers on here prefer to pin everything on Brexit, don't spoil their illusion. :emoticon-0100-smile

Saf likes this.
  4. yorkshirehornet

yorkshirehornet Well-Known Member

Yes... Saw that Scullion.. I respect the way you post your views....

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

Deleted....... likes this.
  5. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

And since then, everyone from government ministers to business experts in the automotive industry have admitted that Honda were being polite, and although Brexit was not the single reason for them leaving, it contributed to their decision. As has been pointed out countless times today, they do not need the UK now that they have the EU deal. The business minister Greg Clark said it was “a devastating decision” for Swindon and the UK, and if the current indecision continued more would go. A clear indication that government know that it is Brexit related.

6. There's no doubt that the current impasse is not helping in any way. The sooner they get some sense and agree something - jeez anything - the better.
    On a separate Japanese trade issue I was surprised that none of our resident real ale drinkers commented on Asahi's recent takeover of Fuller's. I suspect it won't be the worst thing as the Japanese tend not to fix something that isn't broken - and Fuller's are, in my opinion at least, great!

7. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

Gove was addressing the NFU conference today. He admitted that farmers in the UK might not be able to export their produce for six months, and no matter what was being said there would be hold ups in Dover/Calais if no deal came about. Now you might say that he was just trying to get farmers to support the PM and get the MPs to accept her deal, or he was being truthful for once.

8. Interesting audience for him today. NFU was remain but obviously a lot of Farmers voted out. I guess it would have been influenced by those who export to Europe - and who didn't believe the government would continue to pay subsidies when we leave!

9. Scullion

Scullion Well-Known Member

What I find unacceptable about the Honda closure was that it was leaked before the workforce were informed - this was appalling HR but it may not have had anything to do with Honda who I hope would not do such a thing.

10. Hornet-Fez

Hornet-Fez Well-Known Member

I am reminded of a scene in The Last Samurai where Simon Graham (Timothy Spall) tries to explain how the Japanese mind works to Nathan Algren (Tom Cruise):

"I came over with the British trade mission, oh, years ago. I was soon relieved of my position. I had a rather unfortunate tendency to tell the truth in a country where no one ever says what they mean. So now, I very accurately translate other people's lies."

Having also spent time in Japan (I love it over there tbh, for all its faults) I can say that this movie quote fits.

yorkshirehornet likes this.

11. Hornet-Fez

Hornet-Fez Well-Known Member

Conspicuous in my silence! Asahi was brewed under license at Shepherd Neame until late last year. Personally I think it's a good deal for both parties although obviously I'd prefer an ideal world where Fuller's were owned and run by the same family.

12. Yeah same here really Fez. Rather bizarrely, many moons ago when I was doing my degree at night school one of my marketing projects was on Asahi's place in the Japanese beer market. Given my visits to Fuller's establishments over the years could be described as more than simply frequent there's nowt so strange as reality eh?

Mexican Hornet and Hornet-Fez like this.
  13. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

Judging by the news coming back from Sharm El Sheikh this morning, Brexit could be like les Misérables which started in 1980 and shows no sign of ever coming to an end.

14. superhorns

superhorns Well-Known Member

Les Miserables is played out in Paris every Saturday at the moment, not quite so many deaths.

15. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

So good old failing Grayling is in the High Court accused by Eurotunnel of conducting his ferry awarding contracts illegally. So he sends his expensive lawyers along to demand that it would be too embarrassing to allow the proceedings to be conducted in public. “It may be that the material is perceived by government to be profoundly embarrassing and it would naturally prefer that it is not in the public domain. That would be, of course, an entirely irrelevant consideration in relation to matters of confidentiality."
    The DfT was ordered to review all 8,000 documents that had been disclosed in the case and to return to court by 4.30pm on Thursday with its legal justification for its desired confidentiality. The DfT complained that this was extremely time consuming, but still tried to say that the documents should be submitted on the basis that they remained confidential.
    If you think back, this sort of process was exactly what the PM wanted. No answering to parliament, no information about discussions taking place with the EU. It is far too complicated for remainers or leavers to understand. Leave it to me, I can drive this through if no one knows what is going on. Fortunately the EU is far more democratic, and puts up information daily on the website for everyone to read.

16. yorkshirehornet

Well, well, well.. Comon own up if you DIDN'T see that coming!
    Well this lady just turns and turns doesn't she.
    At least she has put one over a lot of narcissistic ideologues.
    I actually don't know whether to laugh [emoji23] or [emoji22] cry!

17. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

Good old failing Grayling strikes again. Rather than admit he got it wrong again, this time with Eurotunnel, the government settles out of court. This time it has cost the taxpayer £33 Million, plus all the legal expenses. I trust that he will be thought of as a price worth paying.

18. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

It seems that the UK will not be leaving the EU at the end of the month. With the latest delay imposed by the PM, Michel Barnier has told European newspapers that there is no longer time to ratify the deal, even if she gets it through parliament. Some legal opinion is suggesting that the UK might yet have to hold MEP elections. With MPs effectively saying that they will not accept a no-deal situation, some will be getting very nervous that their tax affairs will be opened up for all to see on the 1st April.

19. yorkshirehornet

Interesting to see the USA ambassador wading in to attack the EU so called antiquated farming policies.. And the NFU defending them. Thank goodness we will not sell out our current farming standards for the sake of trade.

Given that current practices are questionable to many environmentalists and animal welfare workers we cannot accept lowering these standards.

I guess these is the game of hardball our American 'friends' will play..

20. There's no doubt that EU standards are by no means perfect but they're light years ahead of those in the US in terms of welfare and disease control.
    And actually Yorkie it's precisely because of trade that we won't lower standards. If we do we almost certainly lose the EU market - and no farmer in their right mind will want that - as can be heard regularly on Farming Today and Country File. There's a lot of farming communities in a lot of Tory constituencies - it won't happen.

yorkshirehornet likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.