1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic UK / EU Future

Discussion in 'Watford' started by Leo, Feb 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. superhorns

superhorns Well-Known Member

It is very difficult to hide the bad news coming out of Europe it is plastered over all the media. Germany near recession, France with chronic civil unrest, Italy almost bankrupt ,just for starters.

2. oldfrenchhorn

oldfrenchhorn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Let us make no difference here, both Tory and Labour parties are fighting internally like rats in a sack as SH chooses to describe the EU. The reason for this is simple, the UK had gone from the sick man of Europe to one of the most prosperous after they joined with the other nations. Following the Tory party attempting to quell the rump of MPs within, nothing new, think back to John Major, it has been given the most advantageous terms of any country within the EU, but because it for some reason that I don't understand, believes that it should have even more. This is no longer the days of Empire when the UK could take what it wanted from under developed countries, but the modern world where countries cooperate with each other, and do trade deals with each other that are mutually beneficial. The Labour party has many MPs who are quite appalled by the leadership, but some of the policies they are now presenting are being thought worthy to explore more. This of course doesn't go down well with the blinkered who are tied to an old stuck in the past Tory party.

3. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

What media is this SH? Little about it over here. Some comment, but not exactly front page news. Just had a look at my newspaper. Page 23 before anything was mentioned.

4. superhorns

They are so used to bad news about Europe it becomes commonplace.

5. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

So what media should I look at?

6. superhorns

7. superhorns

8. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

9. Classy - when the word radicalisation is usually used we know what it refers to. I love Matt but that's way below the belt. As it would be if the same was said about Brexiteers.

10. superhorns

I understand there are too many uncomfortable facts included for you to absorb, difficult times ahead for many living in the eurozone. Only yesterday Lagarde, the head of the IMF, warned the entire European project was at risk because of the disparity of wealth between the Northern and Southern member states. She recognised that one in four your people in the EU are now at risk of being in poverty. In Spain and Greece it is nearer 40%. This is a failed project.

11. superhorns

The oddball extremists in the Tory party are now realising how much they are out of touch with Conservatives party members. Soubry, Grieve Boles etc will all soon come under pressure from their local associations who are unhappy with their MPs undemocratic stand on Brexit. The party needs to purge these Lib Dem infiltrators as a matter of urgency.

12. yorkshirehornet

yorkshirehornet Well-Known Member

Can I ask that this site is not used for party political diatribe? Most of us are better than that...…..

13. superhorns

No.

14. colognehornet

colognehornet Well-Known Member

So you have taken it upon yourself to declare who actually belongs in the Tory Party ! Worth while taking a closer look at some bedfellows of yours - starting with Rees Mogg. Anti-gay marriage, anti abortion (under all circumstances), doesn't believe in climate change legislation, always votes against any rises in benefits, even for disabled people, supports zero hour contracts etc. etc. In 2013 he was a guest of honour, and gave a speech at the annual dinner of ''Traditional Britain Group'' (TBG) which describes itself as ''The home of the disillusioned patriot'' and wants to return black people to ''Their Natural Homelands''. I would not insult the Fascists by including him in their number - because they did, at least, have some left wing economic policies. Yet, according to you, scum like him belong in the party, yet the decent one nation Tories (there are a few left) don't. Further still you have the nerve to suggest that Britain does not have a problem with the extremes of politics, like some other European nations. Rees Mogg is far further to the right, in his opinions, than Le Pen's Front National. Yet this creep is one of the favourites to take over the Tory Party one day - an event which would resemble little more than an extreme right wing coup.

If the ERG has resorted to actually celebrating, and drinking champagne, when their party leader loses a vote then I would suggest that it is they who should be rooted out of the party - and you as well if you support them.

Deleted....... and Hornet-Fez like this.
  15. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

Joke of the week, came from Farage. When asked if he would welcome the ERG members into his new party as suggested by mainstream Tories, he said, "No, they are too extreme for us."

16. Hornet-Fez

Hornet-Fez Well-Known Member

<applause><applause><applause> Absolutely.

Deleted....... likes this.
  17. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

One of the airlines that fly into Limoges airport which I have used from time to time has gone into administration, and cancelled all flights. Flybmi has never been as cheap as Ryanair, but didn't treat the passengers in quite the same way. Fly with Ryanair and you learn how to get the best deals and avoid all of those extras they add on for the unwary. Flybmi has given among various reasons for packing up the Brexit mess. "Current trading and future prospects have been seriously affected by the uncertainty created by the Brexit process, which has led to our inability to secure valuable flying contracts in Europe".
    Everywhere you look this is turning into a shambolic situation. Companies that can are moving out of the UK. The courts are agreeing to billions of pounds being transferred to EU countries, investment in the UK has collapsed, and growth in the economy has gone from the top to the bottom amongst the G7. All of the fabulous trade deals that would be ready according to the disgraced Dr. Fox are now admitted to be a fiction, and all under this Tory Brexit. At one time Europe and others around the world looked on with bemusement, but today they are regarding the government as a big joke. Yet still some would actually vote for more of the same. Beyond belief!

18. Take a bow. I have no polite words to describe Mr Rees Mogg. He is more than happy to adopt the judgemental, and for me distasteful, parts of Catholicism but none of the bits about helping your fellow human being. Bob Dylan got it bang on - not even Jesus himself would forgive what you do. I actually hope Jesus does come back and his first sign of returning is to piss in the Chateau Lafitte at Mary's confirmation. Obviously I want his second act to be signing a 25 year zero hours contract

Hornet-Fez and yorkshirehornet like this.
  19. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

Tomorrow is my monthly dinner with friends. There are about twenty of us who meet, Christians, humanists, agnostics, and others who it is more difficult to label. Part of our getting together is about trying to help those who are struggling, often for reasons beyond their control. I cannot and will not accept that only looking after number one should be the way that we live. An elderly neighbour fell in the road yesterday. Should I have left him lying there, or helped him to get up? Obvious I would have thought, but some seem to think that because he fell he should have found his own way to stand up again.

Deleted....... likes this.
  20. superhorns

Your growth claim is inaccurate. The Uk's growth in the last quarter was better than Germany and Italy and match the EU's average. The UK had record foreign investment in 2018, an increase of 12.6% The US has announced plans for a massive increase in trade with the UK.

You either have very little knowledge of the above subjects or you have been reduced to telling porkies. Which one is it?

Foreign investment into the UK hits record high, ONS figures showhttps://www.pesmedia.com/foreign-investment-uk-ons/

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.