1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Town v Cobblers

Discussion in 'Ipswich Town' started by YorkieLancsHampyLondoner, Feb 15, 2021.

1. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

YorkieLancsHampyLondoner Well-Known Member

I don’t know how Lambert can possibly spin that result. I expect he will come out blaming everybody and everything else - the ref, blue action, covid..

2. Julio

Julio Well-Known Member

Surely that is Lamberts last game for you lads?

3. itfcptc

itfcptc Well-Known Member

Will it be a Paul Jewell moment?

I think its time PL went but after 5 managerial appointments ME has made i have no hope that it will improve and that's not necessarily because he won't appoint a manager with good credentials. ME has taken the heart and soul out of the club

4. Nuggets

Nuggets Well-Known Member

I’m uncharacteristically almost at a loss for words. A dire game. Truly dire. Not one redeeming, positive performance out there tonight. We need a change.

5. brb

brb CR250

Looks like the ref for your game tonight, lost it, just seen this on twitter....

San Diego likes this.
  6. itfcptc

I can see Evans appointing a worldy manager who changes our fortunes and refuses to give him a long contract because he's had his fingers burnt before...then another club comes in for him

7. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

Anybody listening to Radio Suffolk? Has there been an interview?

8. fieldmarshall

fieldmarshall Well-Known Member

One true thing PL said in his post match interview, he said the problems at this Club have going on for years and everyone needs to have a look at themselves, its what we've been saying for years did you hear that Evans ?

9. Roystonblue

Roystonblue Well-Known Member

Lambert really can’t help himself. Just heard the post match interview (actually did himself today, thought he might send bluey out to do it) he did say things have been bad for weeks now...no kidding. Went on to say decline is over years - again I agreed. Then he waffles on about how many years he played for Celtic & Dortmund. Nobody cares what you did as a player. Pack your bags and leave

10. itfcptc

I thought despite me saying his time is up, that was a pretty good interview. He talked how he did when he first came to the club and i do wonder whether its another nail in his coffin, as was definitely a thinly veiled attack on ME.

If Lambert goes though that's only the start. Issues at the club run deep. ME has appointed 5 managers in his time all of whom(bar one) have been PL managers and also had promotion on their CV but none have had success bar Mick really for one season, he kept us afloat with a solid team but it was treading water, our 1 good season we had a striker who was in the form of his life.

For all Lamberts failings, he hasn't been dealt an easy hand. It feels very similar to the Jewell era, a bloated squad trying to get a team together with in addition to lots of loans with players on big contracts trying to pick up the pieces after a rookie manager has come in spent a bit of money but not improved the squad. Perhaps the next manager will be a league 1 Mick, but with a bit more entertainment. Its been so long since I've been entertained watching town. You know the last season I actually enjoyed watching town was 07/08, coincidently that was the season ME took over.

11. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

Don’t have any sympathy for Lambert. He knew exactly the state of the club and he is getting paid a fortune.

San Diego likes this.
  12. itfcptc

That is why it'll take a brave man with broad shoulders to take over

13. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

Nurses and doctors are brave. Firefighters, the Police and Armed Forces are brave.

Sure, everyone has their personal battles and challenges but being a football manager at a club like Ipswich Town is a privilege and it SHOULD be a joy.

Our options are limited by the wages we’ll pay and the transfer policy but the obvious one for me next would be to give it to Dyer and Butcher.

14. stretchyboy

stretchyboy Well-Known Member

15. Nuggets

Nuggets Well-Known Member

16. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

I agree with some of that, although I thought pre-pandemic that Evans was a regular at games. Can anyone put us straight on the Wimbledon point?

and then lower down the list - build the team around Dozzell. Come off it. He had ability but his attitude stinks. We need players who can grab the game by the scruff of the neck, not go hiding. If there is one excuse for him, it’s been that our midfield has no shape. No defined holding midfielder, number 8 or wide midfielders / wingers. He could fit in the number 8 role in a better side but needs to work so much harder and has so much work to do on the final pass and beating defenders. We don’t have time for that now and there are better, ready made players we could pick up.

The same with Hawkins, Jackson and to a lesser extent Judge. They all have ability but if you’ve been given the opportunity to show it and don’t then move them on and get fresh blood in.

Doubtless a new manager will start with a clean slate, keep some and freeze some out and it could be any player in or out. But when there has been so much underperformance and negativity the side really needs rebuilding in the summer. I would be inclined to keep Holy, Woolfy, KVY, Norwood, Lankester, Edwards, Sears but pretty much everyone else I’d be happy to see the back of.

17. Bigalreigned

Bigalreigned Well-Known Member

Re Dozzell.I think a partnership of Dozzell and Downes should be the basis of a very useful partnership at this level,it’s a question of whether they’re being coached to get the best from them.

18. Southcoastoldgaffer

Southcoastoldgaffer Well-Known Member

There is much to be miserable about, and maybe, as some have predicted, last night was the nail in PL's coffin, perhaps even ME has had a wake-up call. He must think at times when he ponders his life and work, wtf am I doing with Ipswich Town FC? Can he leave with his hide in tact, cut his losses, and let AN Other get our club back? I dont follow all the numbers, millions he has spent or is owed, but his highly paid accountant and business team will be advising him for sure.
    Can someone remind me who owns the ground?

Maybe the trapdoor is opening and he sees a way forward, if not down.

19. Bigalreigned

Bigalreigned Well-Known Member

I believe the ground is owned by the Borough Council and the Club have a ground lease.

I think ME owns the training ground which may have potential for residential development,but nothing like the value of the “debt” the Club “owes” him.

Southcoastoldgaffer and Nuggets like this.
  20. stretchyboy

stretchyboy Well-Known Member

Totally agree - adding a fully fit Bishop as well, that midfield should be streets ahead of most in this league.
    The biggest problem is the forward three, not a lot of creativity in there at all.
    I'd actually like us to get back to the old days of 442, with 2 wingers who can whip crosses in, and have a big man and little man up top

Southcoastoldgaffer and itfcptc like this.