1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Time to make a stand?

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by tomw24, Jan 31, 2018.

1. St.Kreuzberg

St.Kreuzberg Active Member

lmao!

2. TheSecondStain

TheSecondStain Needs an early night

The club has been on a very slow down turn since Cortese left. I didn't believe it at first because there was such a momentum, but that has gone. There are no people with an overall vision for success. Get him on the phone and get him back. We may not like all his methods, but f******g hell, they work.

3. Le Tissier's Laces

Le Tissier's Laces Well-Known Member

And a far worse manager.

Libby likes this.
  4. Libby

Libby 9-0

And if he was heading towards running us unsustainably financially you wouldn't mind?

Not saying he was just playing devils advocate.

5. Le Tissier's Laces

I have actually heard a slightly different story about that very recently, along the lines of it not quite being like that, but the club spinning that story in a very exaggerated fashion, to soften the response to moving him on.

6. Libby

Libby 9-0

Oh yeah I agree and the club do that with players too.

Like I say I was purely playing devils advocate. Would tss or others wanting him back accept that risk on the off chance of some success?

7. Le Tissier's Laces

I’d have him back after the conversations I had with this other person. He really cared deeply about the club.

8. St.Kreuzberg

St.Kreuzberg Active Member

Only 13 years eh? I guessed you were young.

9. Schad

Schad Well-Known Member

Part of the reason I've been notably dubious of that aspect is that the club's take on our finances turned on a dime...one day Gareth Rogers and others were talking about the sustainability of our plan, the next they were leaking the suggestion that they had all just discovered that Cortese was spending us into oblivion. It doesn't work like that! He wasn't operating with a sack of cash under his desk...it's all in our financial reports.

10. Le Tissier's Laces

Smart man Schad.

Let’s just say the person I was speaking to was/is close to Nicola, so would need to be handled with caution to an extent too (though also had no reason to lie to me), but the tales of imminent financial ruin at the hands of a megalomaniac were greatly exaggerated.

He was a cold hearted, massively ambitious killer, but he wanted to do things for the club, not himself. The same cannot, sadly, be said for the current mob. Quite the opposite.

SaintinNZ likes this.

11. Puck

Puck Well-Known Member

I'd take that risk on the basis that Cortese actually seemed to believe in and want to achieve the stuff he was saying about Champions League etc. I really am not that interested in following a club that "knows its place", describes itself as small and where the owners/board are happy just to survive in the Premier League. It's just so... pointless.

I think Cortese used to say something in interviews along the lines of if you aren't trying to win then what's the point of playing and I basically agree with that. If Saints continue as they are my interest will likely diminish and I'll drift away from football. I'm already much less interested in the game than I was a few years ago when I'd watch other clubs' matches and I really can't remember the last time I watched a game that didn't involve Saints.

12. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

People can protest so they like, but while we are still fighting to stay up, any protests such as walking out during games, or doing something that takes away support of the team during a game is shocking and disgraceful. You’re not a fan in my eyes if you do that.

Do something at half time if needed. But FFS let’s start supporting the team on the pitch and try to help them turn this drudge around.

13. Libby

Libby 9-0

Dunno mate. Wouldn't surprise me if a half empty ground was easier to play infront of rather than the tossers there tonight <whistle>

I don't think it's fair to say people aren't a fan either, people are different and they're only trying to do something because they genuinely care for the club even if you, I, or anyone disagree with the method.

Personally anything for me would be after a game outside the main entrance to stop them leaving and make Les come out and face the crowd. That way the people who don't want to go can still attend too.

14. Saint Babarussi

Not interested in having cortese back. Spoke to Lawrie Mcmenemy last week he couldn't stand the man. Apparently he made people stand up when he walked into a room and was a power hungry dictator. We need someone like him, but not him.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

15. - Doing The Lambert Walk

- Doing The Lambert Walk Well-Known Member

I agree with FLT.

With the awful decision making at board level and the ineptitude of the manager, the only people who can get us out of this **** are the players.

They haven’t been good enough so far (for whatever reason) but they’re our only life raft out of this ****storm.

We need to stick with them and hope they can pick up a few wins and chalk up the required points.

There’s still time.

That said I think the general running of the club: ambition, transparency, coaching appointments and market activity has been ****e for ages. And this manager is ****e too.

But as I said, we have to rally the players and hope they can muddle their way through this for us.

16. SaintsForTheWin

SaintsForTheWin Any holes a goal

The way to do it is not turn up. It’s a shame we aren’t playing a game where we are the only prem game on at the moment so the world isn’t watching.

No one turns up, the stadium is empty for all those tv cameras. It doesn’t look good for our “brand”.

17. SaintsForTheWin

SaintsForTheWin Any holes a goal

I think our players may play better with no atmosphere, as it’s better than a poisonous one.

fatletiss likes this.
  18. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

In the position we are in there is nothing left to do but support the team. There are too few games left to hope for a knight in white armour to come over the hill. The players are the only ones that can put that ball in the net, so can't see that demoralising them....perhaps costing us valuable points in a couple of precious games in the belief that a managerial change can produce miracles before the end of the season. It is still mighty close in this league and we are proving hard to beat at least....surely, surely we must be due a win just by chance. Not sure I believe that myself, but I really don't see the point of a protest now....do we really think the board aren't as concerned as us?

I can see why they stuck with him as there was stuff going on, but, unless they have a new manager in the car park, I suspect we will have to wait till the summer for a change. Let's hope not too late...but, if it is, it is important to get the right man in for the Championship.

19. Archers Road

Archers Road Urban Spaceman

Maybe it's time for some of our fans to grow a backbone. After all, it's difficult to make a stand without one.

Do people seriously think buying a ticket entitles them to a result? Win, lose or draw, you support your team - if you can't do that, then by all means vote with your feet - by ****ing off.

20. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

The board know how we feel....but the important thing is for the team to know we believe in them (even if we don'to_O).