1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The Wenger Criticism Thread

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by suker_suker, Nov 5, 2014.

1. Bergkampspilot

Bergkampspilot Active Member

So even though we spent the most days on top last season we still couldnt win a title.

Not only that but the manager who took us on that run is the same manager many are slating. It's easier to see Wengers faults than it is to see his good points especially now when the season is going pear shaped. He also has had some extremely bad luck with injuries particularly last season at crucial times (Ramsey and Theo) being the ones which hurt us most.

We have a conservative manager who does not always address issues immediately but would rather look at the most cost expensive way to get through a season. this has been obvious now for some time. It also gave him a great excuse when we didnt win anything.

Now he has spent money we expect more but the league has improved so much across the board that we are still only good enough for a top four spot at best. This is the reality. The other reality is another manager is not a guaranteed success no matter how bad many beleive Wenger to be.

2. cini65

cini65 Well-Known Member

It just reads like you're scared of change. Like my gran with getting her to stop using cheques.

3. Bergkampspilot

Sorry it reads like that Cini... Im 39 and been supporting Arsenal for 30 years so change is the last thing im afraid of. I just look at things differently. maybe im more patient than some!? nothing would make me happier than for Us to win another title with or without Wenger. I just look at the league and the amount of money it really costs to win a league and I think we are out of our depth.

4. lazarus20000

lazarus20000 Well-Known Member

Really out of our depth with two world class players, one of which is priced over £45m and the other one over £40+ now (Sanchez)?. We have first team international players from Germany (3), England (quite a few more), French, Spanish etc. On paper this is one of our better squads in quite a while. But ultimately it's the managers duty to get the best out of these players. Even the most ardent Wenger supporters will find it hard to say that he is. We are clearly under performing with this team.

5. lazarus20000

Really out of our depth with two world class players, one of which is priced over £45m and the other one over £40+ now (Sanchez)?. We have first team international players from Germany (3), England (quite a few more), French, Spanish etc. On paper this is one of our better squads in quite a while. But ultimately it's the managers duty to get the best out of these players. Even the most ardent Wenger supporters will find it hard to say that he is. We are clearly under performing with this team.

6. Bergkampspilot

Laz,

40 mill x 2 and when one gets injured we find ourselves short. What City and Chelsea will always have over us for the future is the ability to spend more and offer higher wages. Just to rub salt in the wounds they can bench them and not even flinch.

we don't and never will have that luxury.

7. The Bonstar Wandit

The Bonstar Wandit Well-Known Member

Can you ever see Wenger winning the league again? I can't. Can you see another manager winning the league with Arsenal? Maybe. Then it's worth the risk. Arsenal may go backwards with a new manager, but they sure as hell won't progress under Wenger.

8. Bergkampspilot

It's always easier to predict change as a positive when the current regime at Arsenal seems so negative. It really depends on how empty or full your Arsenal glass is at the moment. Secondly it also depends what you prefer as your content. Stability? Or trophies? Perhaps both? If people still choose to side with Wenger then I understand why in the same way I understand those who want him out.

Lastly those who say pain is worth it for a change. Is the pain you have experienced so bad over the last decade of watching Arsenal that Wenger should call time?

Someone asked if Wenger will ever win another title with Arsenal? I don't see Arsenal winning another title until we are sponsored by an imaginary pit of bottomless cash coupled with a Manager who can spend it wisely.

9. cini65

cini65 Well-Known Member

I couldn't ever see Wenger winning the league even if we had unlimited funds. I think if you gave him a first XI of Neuer, Alaba, Hummels, Silva, Lahm, Kroos, Bender, Ronaldo, Messi, Sanchez and Suarez he still wouldn't win the league. Tactically inpet.

10. Arsenal87

Arsenal87 Well-Known Member

Most of the other top teams have been poor for the past few years, this season is another case in point, there has been improvement among other mid-table teams, but in terms of the team we compete against and look to win the title, the quality has not been very high. most of the time we have fallen short not because of how great the other teams were, but because we never sort out our own weaknesses.

11. Arsenal87

Arsenal87 Well-Known Member

Yes, though to be fair, it's moreso the last 5 years that things have gotten worse, even though it's still top 4 finishes, the quality has gone way down. from 2006-2010 we didn't win ****, but we still played very good football, did at times beat the big sides. But then from 2011 to this point we have had to put up with 2 of Wenger's worst start to the seasons, overall football play on the pitch has been piss poor, we've been annihilated by the top sides, we look so tactically clueless, and there doesn't seem to be any forward thinking strategy of taking us to the next level.

12. The Bonstar Wandit

The Bonstar Wandit Well-Known Member

Exactly that 87.

13. cini65

cini65 Well-Known Member

Wenger should call time because of the pain he should be feeling HIMSELF. If I performed with such mediocrity as he has in my own profession I'd put my hands up and call time on myself and retire or trying something new.

14. lazarus20000

I agree with 87 too. Although it was painful that we didn't win with team before 2010, they were more exciting to watch and could compete with the very best.

15. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

It still comes down to getting somebody better than Wenger, otherwise it's likely to be a step backward. I'm not opposed to Wenger going, he's going to at some point so we should be planning anyway. But you have to look at the situation objectively and make sure we get somebody who can (1) do at least as good a job as Wenger and (2) be able to put the things right he gets wrong. That no easy task - and we shouldn't just make a change for the sake of change.

16. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

I still think there's every chance you may take a step back before you move forward. I say that bcos it's easily overlooked what losing a manager who's been there and provided that stability for 18 years means. The club almost runs itself as a result, but when he leaves, it impacts on everything. As United have discovered. It could involve missing out on Top 4. Doesn't mean those calling for Wenger's head are wrong, and it doesn't mean those saying otherwise will be proved right. But regarding your point, I think it may be the case that (1) and (2) will not happen straight away.

17. TheBear

TheBear Well-Known Member

Wenger's still a great coach and a very good manager. He is just no longer in the elite - he is now stubborn and behind with the times when once he was progressive.

Jurgen Klopp, Gus Hiddink, Loewe, Ancelotti, Simeone, Guardiola would be a step forward but most the names that get thrown around would be definite steps in the wrong direction.

18. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

I agree with that, but I wonder how patient those calling for Wenger to go would be with a new manager ? A period of rebuilding would be inevitable, but my feeling is that if success wasn't instant then those fans would be looking to apportion blame to the board for appointing the wrong man.

19. gooner4ever

gooner4ever once a Gooner always a Gooner
    Forum Moderator

What we would want to avoid at all costs is being like Spurs who hire and fire managers every year as they have no patience. i just think that all the Wenger Out brigade would soon become the (insert name of new manager) Out brigade if we don't win every game and win every trophy instantly. Which is exactly what Spurs fans are doing every year with every manager

20. Smirnoffpriest

Smirnoffpriest Well-Known Member

Personally I think before Wenger goes (whether now or in 3 years) I'd want a replacement for David Dein to be signed - a man who can take the pressure off the next manager, run the transfer/business side of things, while also having good contacts and links in the game around Europe and beyond. This would allow the new manager to concentrate on the football/coaching/tactical/youth side of things, and probably allow a greater chance of success and reduce the effect of the massive change in store when Wenger leaves.