1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The Stupid Questions thread

Discussion in 'Formula 1' started by genjigonzales, Jun 20, 2011.

1. Forza Bianchi

Forza Bianchi Well-Known Member

Even with great drivers, the team don't have the budget or brains to be able to make a big step forward. So if the cars produced are as bad as they've been before, they won't be scoring any points. There's only so much a driver can do.

Button is nothing special when the car is ****, so he won't get very far in the dry. His intelligence on a drying track could initially get him into the top 10 but holding that position would be nearly impossible. As for Alonso, he would probably get more out of the car in normal conditions but I doubt he would get much further than Button.

However, if Caterham stayed at the same level for the next few years and Button and Alonso were driving, I think both could score the occasional point here and there.

2. BrightLampShade

BrightLampShade Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

The top teams are so reliable these days the really bad teams have no chance of inheriting points like they used to (even though that was in the top 6 days)

3. Julius Caesar

Julius Caesar Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Obviously no driver would even reach the Caterhams in that car, but he did say long term. What the effect two star drivers be on their money and development? You'd expect a lot more sponsor (how much is the santander money?) interest and whose to say things couldn't snowball from there to the point where it might be feasable for a talented driver to get somewhere.

4. u408379965

u408379965 Well-Known Member

Their wages would bankrupt the team before we even got to China.

5. chrispa76

chrispa76 Member

Am I just having an 'old moment' or isn't it possible to make an advanced search within a specific sub forum excluding all other sub forums? I am searching for an old post here in the Formula 1 section, but can't seem to figure out how to exclude the other sections. Getting too many hits :|

6. genjigonzales

genjigonzales Active Member

Click 'Search Forum' and then 'Advanced Search'.

please log in to view this image

7. chrispa76

chrispa76 Member

@genji
    As always, thanks for your efforts trying to help! This time however...

Maybe my lesser English makes it hard to understand what I am talking about sometimes :p

To try and dumb my question down:

How do I search for "Ferrari"(for example) and have it return only results from the 'Formula 1' board, whilst excluding all the other boards?

I know where the advance search is. But I am searching for a specific post on this board. Now, my searches returns 100's of results and 99% from other boards at not606. If I could limit it to only search the formula 1 board, It would save me a lot of extra clicks, skipping to next page. This is a common and standard feature on hundreds of other boards that I have used throughout my internet 'career' but I cant seem to find it here. So am I just having an old moment and can't see it or is that feature lacking here?

8. genjigonzales

If you follow what I suggested above it automatically only selects the F1 board. It's not 'Advanced Search' on the blue bar at the top. Instead go to the main F1 Board page, and select 'Search Forum' from just above the list of threads, then 'Advanced Search' below that.

You get a list of all the boards with only Formula 1 selected. If you scroll down past that you can select the search results to show posts instead of threads.

9. chrispa76

chrispa76 Member

Oh wow, I didn't look closely enough at that picture the first time. Feel dumb now :|

Thanks Genji, you rock!

I guess this is not named the stupid question thread for nothing <laugh>

10. Di Resta is faster than u

Why did Button get to pit before Hamilton both Times in Malaysia when Hamilton was the lead driver, I thought the lead driver got the first choice?

Was it Hamiltons own decision to stay out?

11. Delete Me

Delete Me Well-Known Member

We could just agree Jenson is just racing everybody including his teammate for victory. If he knows he can get the jump on the guy in front he's going for it.

12. TomTom94

TomTom94 Well-Known Member

The person to qualify first / lead driver in the race gets the first CALL on strategy, perhaps Hamilton just wanted to make the tyres run longer.

13. cosicave

cosicave Well-Known Member

I answered a similar question a week or so ago, but I cannot find where (actually, it may even be earlier in this thread!). I also made similar posts elsewhere in other fora, including one I believe you are familiar with Sea-Man (I cannot find it there either!).

Ultimately, these decisions are arrived at as a result of the interaction between each driver and his own race-engineer. To put it another way, variable conditions require a far greater reliance upon a driver's 'intuitive feel' about the best option, than normal. In this regard, it should be said that Button shows greater leadership than Hamilton, who tends to be slightly more indecisive - often resulting in hesitation which appears to 'follow the crowd'. That's not the way Button plays it. With the possible exception of Alonso, Button tends to be peerless in this regard; hence, his decisions will tend to make any team-mate look comparatively indecisive.

(If Button is ever teamed with Alonso, perhaps we can explore this hypothesis further!)

14. Di Resta is faster than u

Thanks Cosi, I've replied to you over there.

I just think as time goes on this year its looking more suspect.

In Melbourne only Hamilton had the gearbox issue
    In Malaysia McLaren pit Button first both times giving him the advantage despite Hamilton being the lead driver.
    They also give him slow pitstops both times just to make sure, sorry, I mean by mistake.
    And now Hamilton is the only driver to have a gear box penatly before Friday has even come around

And we've only had 2 races so far.

15. TomTom94

TomTom94 Well-Known Member

Clearly the only logical conclusion is that Mclaren are sabotaging Hamilton's car. <doh>

16. cosicave

cosicave Well-Known Member

Hi again
    Sea-Man,
    You are right that Hamilton's had more trouble than Button, and some very tardy pit stops. But this is not related to the decision to pit itself, which is arrived at in the manner I've described.

Tardy pit stops are really luck of the draw and almost always due to tiny a error from one mechanic (with the exception of Alonso's deliberate holding up of Hamilton in 2007, to prevent him getting a final qualifying lap in).

Please rest assured: there is no way McLaren would be sabotaging a driver so early in a season, especially with so little between their drivers; and since the Alonso incident, there has been a major change of philosophy in the McLaren camp in any case.

Enjoy the race!
    ©

17. Bergkamp a Dutch master

<laugh>. and changed a perfectly good gearbox.

18. genjigonzales

What?

19. Delete Me

Delete Me Well-Known Member

Looks like Lewis is having a Vettel 2010 season. Doesn't matter how far you get in front something will **** on your parade and ruin it.

Oh don't get me wrong you will be ****ed off the whole season with these issues keeping the gap close, but if he pulls it off like Seb did towards the end I'm sure you will explode with delight like I did back in 2010.

20. Di Resta is faster than u