1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The search begins

Discussion in 'Reading' started by SuffolkRoyal, Mar 12, 2013.

1. SuffolkRoyal

SuffolkRoyal Member

So McDermott has gone and the we await the announcement of who our new manager will be.

As usual there are numerous names in the mix, from Di Matteo, Di Canio, Advocaat, and Adkins to the usual suspects of Hughes, McClaren and Curbishley.

Of course, we at Reading, hope it wil be one of those in the first group of four, although there is a massive anti Di Canio group building up amongst Reading fans.

We wait with baited breath, but a tense few days ahead I think, unless Zingarevich has someone already lined up.

2. Tilehurstsouthbank

The worst thing is the waiting!

3. SuffolkRoyal

SuffolkRoyal Member

I have to admit to being a bit perplexed by the anti Di Canio lobby. I could understand if it was due to his obvious lack of management experience above league 1, but for his politics? that really surprised me.

4. lady-eleanor

lady-eleanor Well-Known Member

Who would you lads's and lasses like as manager?

5. SuffolkRoyal

SuffolkRoyal Member

Of those names I listed in the original post, any of the first four, but absolutely none of those in the last three.

Now that I have said that, you just watch us go and get Curbishley :cry:

6. SuffolkRoyal

SuffolkRoyal Member

Of those names I listed in the original post, any of the first four, but absolutely none of those in the last three.

Now that I have said that, you just watch us go and get Curbishley :cry:

7. daib0

daib0 Well-Known Member

Adkins for me ... intelligent and a forward thinking 21st century manager ...

8. lady-eleanor

lady-eleanor Well-Known Member

Di Canio seems to be favourite but he is a timebomb.
    Adkins did a good job at Southampton, and I think they will regret sacking him.

9. Tilehurstsouthbank

I'd love us to get Ian Holloway, but I don't think there's any chance of that.

10. SuffolkRoyal

SuffolkRoyal Member

Apparently Curbishly is on Hammonds short list. The prospect of Curbsihley taking over as our manager frightens me. The guy has never been a great manager and he's been out of management for five years now. If he is appointed, I honestly believe he will take the club back ten years.

11. CraigSFC

CraigSFC Member

Joining reading would be a step down in his career, Adkins will get a better job offer in summer, he's good enough to manage anyone

12. SuffolkRoyal

SuffolkRoyal Member

Adkins would be okay but I don't think he would set the pulses racing. Decent enough manager but boring as hell, and we just got rid of one of those. Although he'd probably tick all the boxes for Madejski and Hammond, seems a bit of a yes man and won't ruffle their feathers too much.

He'd certainly be a massive improvement on the prospect of Curbishley, Hughes or McClaren.

13. Tilehurstsouthbank

I'm sorry, why would it be a step down? Sideways maybe but down? I think you're living on past glories mate. In two months, if we're relegated, then I might agree with you, but right now, not so much.

14. CraigSFC

CraigSFC Member

I will tell you why it's a step down, for one Southampton is the bigger club, also saints have one of the best academies in England, and he brought a few trough to the first team, he likes to give youngsters a chance but that is mostly because of the quality in our academy. Also second to none training facilities, the ambition of the club is to get European football in next couple of years, while reading's ambition would probably be survival and that would be success for them (don't mean it in a bad way) just saying its not exactly a premier league club is it, when were talking about time spent in top division, fan base etc, but I'm not here to have a go at reading just saying if u ever did get Adkins u would be lucky to have him, but can't see it happening

15. ELLERS

ELLERS Well-Known Member

<laugh>
    hang on...
    <laugh>
    You will be lucky to stay up. You couldn't even beat QPR! You are a newly promoted club that 2 seasons ago were playing League One football so i wouldn't get too carried away with things just yet.
    European football? <laugh> Yeah right.
    Reading would be a good job for adkins.

16. SuffolkRoyal

SuffolkRoyal Member

Don't think many of us would turn our noses up at Adkins.

But there are a few of the old names being bandied around. I'm just hoping that its because they're names which always crop up when there is a vacancy. A bit like Christmas always turning up on the 25th December!

17. CraigSFC

CraigSFC Member

Coming from a QPR fan ha ha, one word for you, tinpot. We had a bad day at the office, just like u have had most of the season, redknapp is taking u down back to lower leagues were a club like you belongs

18. trixter_whufc

trixter_whufc New Member

Brilliant!

There is a very real chance that you will be relegated this season, particularly if Reading get Adkins or Di Canio in - either could provide a spark that sets Reading on a run. QPR will get out of trouble and I'm not convinced that Saints can finish above Villa and Wigan.

So, before talking about Europe in 2 years, why not take it one step at a time and concentrate on staying up this season which is far from certain.

Reading are the smaller club of the 2 there is no doubt. I wouldn't imagine Reading fans would dispute that. But they are of perfectly Adequate size for a manager like Adkins, who is still at the end of the day, a rookie in premier league terms.

If I had to choose between Adkins and the non-English speaking and unproven in England Pochettino (spelling?) it would be Adkins every time. He was just getting something good going at St Mary's and you might, just might, have made a massive mistake in gambling on the argentine.

19. Bzzz

Bzzz Active Member

please log in to view this image

:wink:

20. ELLERS

ELLERS Well-Known Member

'Tinpot'? You obviously didn't go to the 'Dell' when you had 15K and we took 4K of it you muppet.. Or have you fogot the days when you would bring 300-400 to our 'tin pot' club?

'Bad day at the office'? We will see in a few weeks.

As for Arry? He shut your muppet fans up, and you are muppets because i was there and half of you looked weird. I actually thought something was wrong with them. Saying that it was a great 'fire drill' with 10 mins to go. <ok>
    Don't play the 'Billy Big club' because you are not. Now go away and bore Pompey fans (who by the way are 10 times better than you freaks).