1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic The General Chat Thread.

Discussion in 'Leicester City' started by AKCJ, Jan 8, 2012.

1. nzfoxfan

nzfoxfan Well-Known Member

What a breath of fresh air that was. At it from the start and other than a bit of a let off when they hit the post, totally deserved that win. The last three goals were all superb. Ward also made a couple of decent saves. Very satisfying, all we need now is a Vardy goal and we are off and racing.

FosseFilberto likes this.
  2. BucksFox

BucksFox Well-Known Member

Much better performance particularly in the first half - coordinated high press and plenty of energy. And we looked very inventive from set pieces - even though none paid dividends on the night. Thankfully Maddison was absolutely on top form again and Barnes was given enough space to allow him to be effective. And what a great goal. But we shouldn't get too carried away as there were some worrying negatives. Vardy is looking like a spent force. No composure and very wasteful from some good positions. Time for Daka to get an extended run and Vardy to warm the bench. And we did get cut wide open by a poor side on 3 occasions which led to good chances that better teams will take.

The second half was disappointing. We lost the energy and the will to press high. We became sloppy and started to play sideways and backwards, the sort of predictable stuff that got us into so much trouble against Spurs. We had a great chance to make a real statement and press for more goals and boost confidence. That's what ruthless teams do, but we just didn't seem to have the fitness or desire.

Other positives though were the performance of Soumare, Daka's brilliant piece of improvisation and the reaction of the supporters. Let's hope this wasn't a false dawn because we still look slow in the centre of the back 4 and very vulnerable in the defensive midfield area.

3. Foxy in Foyle

Foxy in Foyle Well-Known Member

It's fair to say that went better than we expected. I remembered why I love football. It's to feel that rather than the apathy of recent weeks. Atmosphere was excellent too.

Quality from the Union FS lads

There are still issues to solve and we need results from the next few games before I'm over excited that we're out of the woods yet. But last night was all about beating Notts Forest, and that happened convincingly <cheers>

HarboroughFox likes this.
  4. FosseFilberto

FosseFilberto Pizzeria Superiore and some ...
    Forum Moderator

Need to build on the Forest performance today ... shame we have picked up a couple of injuries but Soumare now has the perfect opportunity to build on his promise...

5. HarboroughFox

HarboroughFox Well-Known Member

Yes, big chance for him now Wilf is out for a few weeks, although I would like to see Praet given a chance, different kind of player I know.

6. Foxy in Foyle

<grr><grr><grr><grr>

Literally no words for today's disasterclass.

7. BucksFox

It's hard not to go OTT after that display, but it was another shocking second half performance. What happens to us after half time? Do we lack the fitness of other teams who are able to compete for 90 minutes? Do we lack the same fight and determination of other teams? What is it? At the moment we look to be heading only one way this season, and we don't have the players who are used to being in this situation. We stroll about as if we are still the team we were 2 seasons ago. In the position we are in now we need competitors who are willing to stand up and be counted. Tielemans is becoming less effective and slower to get back every game. Barnes is never going to get back and put in a meaningful tackle. Central midfield lacks pace. Central defence lacks pace. We have a goalkeeper who has spent most of his career as a second string. Johnny Evans is supposed to be our defensive organiser. Is he not up to the job or is he just working with team mates who aren't up to it? And then there's the manager. It's fine standing on the touchline looking cool and calm when things are going right, but is that working now? I don't want him running up and down the line like a headless chicken and ranting incoherently, but we need to see some kind of reaction from him when his players are getting so many things wrong on the pitch.

The next 2 games are against Palace and Leeds. Both of these are fast, high pressing sides. I'm afraid we are going to get overwhelmed and battered by both if something doesn't change. Leeds are particularly susceptible to the quick counter, but I'm sure we'll continue to faff about playing slow balls across the back line while they get into their defensive positions, and then we'll get caught in possession. We need a better plan B, because at the moment plan B seems to be to repeat plan A.

Foxy in Foyle and nzfoxfan like this.
  8. nzfoxfan

Another disaster. I worry now that a team full of internationals believe it is everyone else's problem and arent prepared to put the hard work in. We just dont have the defensive midfield that help the defense at all. A team of journeymen out fought and outplayed us, and I'm not even going to say sorry to Bournemouth but its a fact. I am now heading to the Rodgers out corner, hope I dont get there.

9. FosseFilberto

Forum Moderator

Pretty much what everyone else here is saying...

I'm getting sick of his blah blah soundbites ...

Ward has to be rested as does Jonny Evans ... Iversen and Vestergaard have to be given a fair crack ... before it's too late

We also need more energy and bite in midfield... we are just not closing down quickly enough ... Tielemans looks like he is just coasting at times ... flashes of class but no real desire or commitment... knows his future is elsewhere...

HarboroughFox likes this.
  10. HarboroughFox

We need a change in personal and Brenda needs to drop a few of his mates. IMO I would give Iverson a chance (he can't do any worse) I'd swap Castagne and Justin over (Castagne plays for Belgium on the left) Soyuncu needs to be brought back as he offers a bit of bite at the back, play Maddison behind the striker and not out on the right and give Praet a run of games.

We are all managers sitting behind a keyboard, I get that, but there is no point in trying to keep doing the same thing with the same players week after week, when it is so obvious to every man and his dog that it isn't working.

11. leicesterlove

leicesterlove Active Member

Do we assume that Kolo Toure is in charge of our defensive set up? If so he needs to either buck his ideas up or be replaced. We’re scoring plenty of goals but our defending is bordering on pub football. It’s starting to get serious now, beating Forest 4-0 at home is no achievement, we’ve lost to Southampton and Bournemouth, been smashed by Spurs and Brighton and threw away a two goal lead at home to Brentford. We’ll be cut adrift with Forest before long.

12. FosseFilberto

Forum Moderator

If he doesn't change keeper's for the next game then I'm done ... just don't get what he is watching ... got nothing against DW but he has single handedly committed more errors that have conceded goals than any other PL keeper ... only thing keeping him playing is Brenda's ego ... stubbornness and an unwillingness to concede he has got it wrong ... Evans needs to be benched too ... yes bring him on towards the end of games ... but starting him when we have Vestergaard and Soyuncu on the bench is down to the same Brenda egotistical stubbornness

... rant over :mad:

Lcfcfox1 and HarboroughFox like this.
  13. nzfoxfan

Member since 2011, 50,000+ posts. You are not close to being done unless your memory has gone. We have seen far worse through the years although I admit expectations have changed. And you are right, so must our goalkeeper.

14. FosseFilberto

Forum Moderator

<cheers> <laugh>

15. Foxy in Foyle

We have seen worse. Things were much worse 20 years ago and stayed that way for a good few years. The difference was that we didn't have teams of gifted players then. We had some average footballers doing their best at a lower level. And that was their level.

Now, we've a team (largely) of skilful, technically gifted international players, who 5 minutes ago were challenging the top 6. Who now do not resemble skilled professionals.

This is the part which is immensely frustrating and depressing. It feels worse. We know they're better than current performances and results because we've seen them doing it.

16. BucksFox

At the end of the day it always comes down to the players' performance on the pitch, but I look at the backroom staff and see a similar lack of energy. It's all very well having 'experts' on clever and inventive set pieces and 'experts' on effective defensive formations, but football is more than that. If you have a group that is even half as skilled as the opposition but shows positivity, passion, desire, competitiveness and a will to win, then you can compete with the best. Rewind to the end of 2014 and forward to 2016 and we have the perfect example. It's those things that can't be taught that I don't see any more.

Lcfcfox1 and Foxy in Foyle like this.
  17. FosseFilberto

Forum Moderator

Persevering with Ward ... hope it doesn't come back to burn him ... Iversen must be really, really **** in training <laugh>

18. BucksFox

Only had one save to make today and, to be fair to him, he got down really well to it.

Shame we couldn't trouble the Palace keeper a little more today.

19. Barwellfox

Barwellfox Well-Known Member

Despite the amount of goals we have conceded thus far, I can only remember a couple that have been Danny Wards error. What concerns me with him, is his starting position to deal with through balls and thus relieving pressure on the defence. I have been more concerned with the form of James Justin, who is making a habit of being caught out of position. Have also been disappointed with KDH - who will run himself into the ground going forward - but quite often walks back when we lose it and cannot make up the ground. Would like to see Sammy Brabrooke given a chance against Newport to see what he can bring.

20. HarboroughFox

I've said for a while, switch the full backs over. Castagne plays on the left for Belgium, so play him there for Leicester. The same players, same formation each week continues as do our struggles. Just change it up a bit.

With Maddison suspended for Thursday, at least something HAS to change. I thought Praet did well when he came on, so give him the start he deserves and push KDH further forward behind Daka/Vardy.

nzfoxfan likes this.