1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Summer transfers

Discussion in 'Cardiff City' started by william5551, May 15, 2015.

1. Stevoldinho

Stevoldinho Well-Known Member

Maybe it's just me but that rumour sounds like it's from the pub not the boardroom.

I'd get Hennessy if we sell Marshall, the other 2 seem very unlikely. I've got little desire to see FC back here but that mainly comes from his delusions of grandeur that he's anything more than a solid Championship striker.

The other message board rumour is Rantie and a young Liverpool attacking mid on loan.

I know which one of the 2 transfer policies seems the most realistic to me.

2. Oldsparkey

Oldsparkey Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

From The Mirror.........................

"Cardiff striker bid

Championship promotion hopefuls Cardiff are eyeing Portuguese striker Roberto Rodrigo.
    His side FC Arouca lead the Portuguese top-flight with two wins from two matches.
    Rodrigo,26, scored the winning goal against Benfica on Sunday and Palermo have already had a bid rejected.
    But the striker fancies a move to England and Cardiff are tempted to snap him up for around £500,000.

Roberto Rodrigo - Arouca............31 Games - 7 Goals"

Only thing I can find on him is he's a midfielder not a striker.

3. isawronnymoorescore

isawronnymoorescore Well-Known Member

Who the hell finds these footballers, surely there must be someone closer to home, plus it doesnt bode well if we are looking for another striker as it probably means that Kenwyn will be on his bike, which would in my humble opinion be a complete disaster.

4. BluefromBridgend

BluefromBridgend Well-Known Member

The word Cornelius springs to mind although not quite so expensive. <doh>.

Rodrigo's goal scoring record is not particularly impressive apart from 2 seasons in a lower Portuguese league and at 5 ft 11 ins he is not the biggest.

5. whiffletree

whiffletree Well-Known Member

6. Oldsparkey

Forum Moderator

Anyway, he's hardly a striker at 7 goals from 31 games is he? Everything I can find about him (except The Mirror and copycat WOL) says he's a midfielder not a striker at all.

The fact he scored that winner against Benfica last week is irrelevant - it's like saying that Malone's goal at QPR makes him a candidate for top scorer this season.

7. ninian opinion

ninian opinion Well-Known Member

Guerra had a better record but was not given a chance.

Why can't City find an Andre Gray or Callum Wilson?

Slade has so far bought Doyle and now does not play him and Revell who is useless So why then is an unknown Portugese guy going to be any better than what we have got?

The forgotten man Macheda may start tonight.

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/cardiff-city-stars-bruno-manga-9915237

Matthew Kennedy "needs game time." Well give it to him then.

8. BluefromBridgend

All of the above agreed.

Jones has a better strike rate than this guy so why not keep him? Of course, wages may have something to do with it.

Another negative, apart from Ronaldo have any other Portuguese strikers had any success over here? Spurs paid over £8m for Postiga - couldn't hit a cow's arse with a banjo!!! Amazingly though 27 goals in 71 games for Portugal.

9. Stevoldinho

Portugal haven't had a striker to lead the line of note for 2 generations! It's been the major weakness at every major tournament I can remember (I don't class Ronaldo as a striker).

If we sell KWJ and buy this guy I will poor away my half glass........... As others mention what's the difference between him and Guerra other than Guerra seeming better on paper?

10. ccfcremotesupport

ccfcremotesupport Well-Known Member

might have got there before you Stevo, but you have far more content.

11. GLAMorgan

GLAMorgan Active Member

I like FC. He did well for us in the chamionship and worked hard. He is, like you say, a solid Championship striker; but isn't that what we need. He has an eye for goal against championship defences. Does he have delusions of grandeur? Seems a bit harsh. Strikers need to beleive in themselves or they're ****ed before they start. Whether coing back is a good idea is another matter.

I know for a fact that Ledley wants Premiership football. But then again, things change.

12. ccfcremotesupport

you could argue the same for ALF.

I think FC would continue to struggle unless we adopt a game plan that suits him. Its been repeated on here since last season that we need to pick a style to suit the players we have or sign players to play the style the club decides is the way forward (whatever that may be).

round pegs and round holes.

We've seen too many players with good pasts fail when they come to us (ALF, FC, etc) and the same players and others succeed when they go elsewhere (Rudy).

It can't be coincidence.

13. Stevoldinho

He always tried really hard and I don't hold it against him that he took the move to the PL. Just imo having failed at Utd, Sunderland then us in the PL you'd have thought it might have sunk in that the Championship is where he belongs.
    He's failed at Palace again at that level and his fitness is seriously debatable. He'd probably want PL wages despite him being proven as not at that level.

I'd rather we looked at someone else, whilst acknowledging if he returned and was able to stay fit we'd have a hard working, effective striker. He's certainly not a finisher but his work rate and pace means he tends to get more chances than other Championship strikers so he can afford to miss a few.

14. Oldsparkey

Forum Moderator

15. ccfcremotesupport

I'm with you Sparky. Not what we need. As I said elsewhere, not impressed with his disciplinary record either. Not so much the cards but his disruptive behaviour. If he can pay anywhere across the back 4 and in midfield, does that mean others will be leaving?

A box to box midfielder and a hold up striker seem the things we need most. Dave Edwards impressed me for Wolves. Someone getting in the box, arriving late, and willing to have a pop on goal. Not saying him, but someone taking up that role.

If we're looking at Watford players, a bustling striker like Deeny wouldn't go amiss.

As you are sparkey, I'm underwhelmed.

16. BluefromBridgend

Disgruntled would be another suitable word.

Are we looking at one of our present 4 senior defenders leaving or is Ben's injury much longer term than we have been told.

Doesn't say much for Ajayi's chances of getting a game.

I saw there was a trialist in the Development Squad's team v. Ipswich. That might have been Tamas?

17. william5551

william5551 Well-Known Member

Taffy tamas has signed a one year deal hope he is a midfielder and not another defender.

18. Oldsparkey

Forum Moderator

Already up on your summer transfer thread Will - I'm merging this thread with that. <ok>

19. Stevoldinho

I don't think a cheap experienced option to cover our 2 fit with 1 nearly recovered Cb's is that bad an idea. I don't think Turner is anywhere near and that has made us do this. His versatility can only be a good thing and he'll probably be picked on the bench plenty to help us pick attacking options.

With regards to the other 2 'potential' signings I'd rather we concentrated on what we had than bought for the sake of it. If there is a player within our budget who will be a first team starter fair enough. If not our squad has numbers already.

20. ccfcremotesupport

Disagree with the first one Stevo and agree with the second.

Connolly and Morrison have been doing ok and with Manga now fit we should be looking to a youngster to provide cover on the bench with a view to their development rather than sign an older player for a year as cover. Next year we'll be in the same situation otherwise. Agree that flexibility on the bench is good but Connolly provides that. If Connolly starts, a CB on the bench and shuffle him across if needed else him on the bench.

As for two new signings, if they aren't first team starters we don't need them as we have plenty of padding in the squad, all much of a muchness. We don't need more of the same. One or two bits of quality is what is needed.