1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Summer transfers

Discussion in 'Cardiff City' started by william5551, May 15, 2015.

1. Oldsparkey

Oldsparkey Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Yes Stevo, but how "cheap" is cheap"? Maybe no fee to another club up front but he wouldn't be here for 5 bob a week. Committing to pay him whatever it is he's getting is that much less that we could offer someone to fill a more obvious need.

Playing anywhere across the back 4 with midfield also an option sounds more like an expensive bench filler to me rather than someone out there on the pitch doing the business.

I get the point about having a suitable backup available particularly with Turner's problem being possibly more serious than admitted, but worst case scenario he'll be back in contention in October. With Manga, Connolly and Morrison all allegedly in front of this bloke at CB, we also have the young Arsenal lad Ajeyi to cover the possibility of losing one of those three for a game or two.

Slade wanted to cut his squad down by offloading surplus players, but in this case he's gone back on that and hired another "squad filler" who will have no real impact on the fortunes of this club nor it's ambitions.

2. ccfcremotesupport

ccfcremotesupport Well-Known Member

I said pretty much the same Sparkey but must have pressed 'post reply' fractionally before you.

3. Oldsparkey

Oldsparkey Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Got you remote. <ok>

Didn't see your post, and no disrespect to Stevo intended at all, but I'm glad someone else sees it that way as well.

4. Stevoldinho

Stevoldinho Well-Known Member

It's all about opinions Sparks I certainly wouldn't see you disagreeing as disrespect. <ok> We'd have fallen out years ago if that was the case <laugh>

I'm not saying it's what I would have done btw and I totally understand your and remotes point of view on it.

Just looking at the MK dons game. Peltier, Gunnar, Fabio all were injured/needed treatment. It's almost September and Turner was described a week ago as a long way off still. I'm not sure he's going to be first team ready in October. Once you start considering Connolly as right back cover we're not actually that comfortable. Slade has made a point about wanting one attacking, one defensive full back. I don't think he'll want to line up with Malone and Fabio especially away from home.

They had a look first and have obviously decided he does add something. Once again we'll only really be able to judge him once/if we see him play. His recent club career doesn't inspire much confidence, before that he played a fair amount for Brom and has played PL football. I stand by my opinion he'll be on very modest money, look at the sides he's played for recently. That could go either way, it might be he's after whatever he can get and doesn't have an appetite for the game. It could be this is his last big chance for another contract and is desperate to prove his worth.

The fact Ajeyi can't threaten the bench suggests he's not close to first team standard at the moment. One for the future.......?!? <laugh>

5. Blue Sheep

Blue Sheep Well-Known Member

Kevin Nolan on a free anyone? Just been released by the Spammers.

6. ccfcremotesupport

It is all about opinion and its a good job not everyone sees it the same way otherwise there'd be even less comment on here than there already is.

This signing smacks of hypocrisy given Slade's drive to lower the wage bill. Surely baby Ben would have been a lower cost option. We ship someone out then bring a similar player in. Doesn't send out the right message for me. Not to the fans and not to the players. Still not happy about what I've read about his character off the field or in the dressing room.

The fans need to see clarity and consistency in what Slade says and what he does if he is going to get them on board. A small close knit squad with some opportunity for youth is one thing. Signing more journeymen is something different.

Sorry to sound like a stuck record, but one or two bits of quality who will make a first team place their own is what is needed. Quality (that fits the game plan) not quantity. We had a bloated squad and while that is improving it still looks unbalanced.

7. ccfcremotesupport

I'd say yes Sheepy, though feel his wages would be prohibitive.

8. BluefromBridgend

BluefromBridgend Well-Known Member

An interesting one Sheepy. I think he would want a tad more in wages than we would want to pay. Also, at 33 has slowed down a bit and not so mobile. Very good goals to games ratio for a midfielder though. Would increase our yellow/red card volume. Add him to Tamas and we could go off the scale.

I had similar thoughts about Joey Barton but the Mail says he's a shoe in for West Ham now Nolan's gone.

9. Stevoldinho

Stevoldinho Well-Known Member

Can't see Nolan being short of Championship suitors.

Where would we play him? Instead of Whits is the option as I it see.

10. ninian opinion

ninian opinion Well-Known Member

I have read City have bought another central defender to add to the several already at the club.

Question to Mr Slade:

Given the fact that only 3 goals have been scored by a striker all season (6 games), and that most of those games would have been won had City had a decent striker, and especially given the clear evidence at MKD that Doyle and Macheda, the reserves aren't good enough, why are you not prioritising a striker as your number 1 target?

11. BluefromBridgend

Nin, he's probably as baffled as we are. <doh>

A 20 goals a season striker? Will all our current strikers get 20 between them?

12. ccfcremotesupport

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/cardiff-city-fan-zone-releasing-9947037

more or less what we've been saying.

This is also an interesting read. A step forward, but still not as effective as it might be. No real football nous in there (not sure where I'd place Slade). Also, where does it fit with the club's long term view. This brings in to debate the point above.

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/.../how-cardiff-citys-transfer-committee-9946742

My view for some time has been a smallish squad with 2 senior players for every position, a couple of players that gives something different for your plan B, a couple of utility players and a few youngsters. So 26 - 28 senior pros and a few youngsters. That means the likes of Yorwerth and Oshilaja need to be kept around the club. OK, one or two out on loan, but there has to be some Pathway for the academy boys.

While Slade may be making progress with the here and now, the club needs a roots and branches review of where it is and where it wants to be. Like it or not, the Swans seem to have a strategic view of where they want to be and how to get there. We don't and that re-emphasises the lack of footballing nous in the management structure.

13. BluefromBridgend

I'm surprised Tutonda went out on loan again after his excellent reviews at Newport last season. Especially with Declan loaned out as well.

14. Blue Sheep

15. ccfcremotesupport

liked the way he said he bluffed on the signing of Tamas due to the interest of others like he'd won a poker hand with a 7 high! You can do it, but people get wise. Is he now double bluffing or triple bluffing over Nolan?

16. BluefromBridgend

Or Blind Man's Bluffing?

17. ccfcremotesupport

so long as he's not bollocky buffing!!!!!

lets see what transpires over the next 4 days.

One or two bits of quality with the disposal of one or two bits of baggage will be fine.

NOT another journeyman defender though.

If they can't command a place on the bench at least, but preferably in the starting 11, we don't need them.

18. ccfcremotesupport

19. Ccfc4ever

Ccfc4ever Well-Known Member

from videos that I've seen of this lad playing he seems very similar to Jay Bothroyd

20. Blue Sheep

Can't help but draw comparisons with Corneilius (spelling?) whenever we sign an unknown young European striker. At least this one cost us a "small" fee.