1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Summer Transfers Mega-Thread

Discussion in 'Norwich City' started by DHCanary, May 13, 2013.

1. Canary Rob

Canary Rob Well-Known Member

The great thing about this thread is that DH has designed it so that you don't need to read through all the posts - he does it for you!!

All you need to do is go to the very first post, which DH regularly updates with the latest rumours <ok>

2. DHCanary

DHCanary Very Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I'm wondering if I'm going to regret offering to keep this updated, the season isn't even over yet and it's growing quickly! Both links added though.

Josh Rees is a surprising link, he doesn't seem to be too near breaking into the Arsenal first team, and has had a lot of injuries of late. He's an 18 year old winger, I'd have thought we'd have that covered with the Murphy's.

3. I_Clean_holtys_boots

I_Clean_holtys_boots Active Member

He has a €50mil buy out clause lol, though RVW had a €22mil and we got him cheap. I think if we managed to sign defour then that would be a bigger coup than RVW.

4. DHCanary

Forum Moderator

Anyone know how Porto are doing for money? They're not another crisis waiting to happen I take it? Also, I think it's more common in South America and Portugal for all players to have faintly ridiculous buy-out clauses, which are very rarely used.

5. Canary Rob

Canary Rob Well-Known Member

I think that footballers' contracts in Portugal are legally obliged to have buy-out clauses. They are simply the price that allows another club to force the relevant footballer's current club to sell (or sometimes even just negotiate). Nothing stops the current club selling at a much lower price if they want.

In other words, the buy-out clauses are basically irrelevant other than where a player has shot up in value due to performances, but their buy-out clause is relatively low. I seem to remember that Steven Defour was tipped for very big things, so I imagine the ridiculous buy-out clause was simply in case he performed brilliantly.

6. Goldeneye175

Goldeneye175 Active Member

7. #BigHairyWinger

I'd have Sam Byram! Only problem is that we don't seem to need another right back... he's not better than either of our current RBs at present for me.

8. DHCanary

Forum Moderator

Is there any paper-talk linking us to Byram, or is this just us talking amongst ourselves? Shame he's not a LB really, although I guess you could consider Whittaker a LB to give 2 LB's and 2 RB's. I agree with #BHW that he's probably no better than what we've got, yet. Only being 19 he wouldn't count towards the 25 either.

9. Walsh.i.am

Walsh.i.am Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Just back from warmer climes <ok> and rather than trawl through almost 2 weeks worth of posts, can someone give me a snapshot of what's occurring player wise, please.

I know we have Garrido on a perm, but are there any other confirmed ins or outs yet?

(P.S. Met a guy from Fakenham in the middle of Dubrovnik who told me the youth team had beaten Chelsea. Saw we beat West Brom 4 - 0 in a Croatian newspaper on Monday morning - and went totally apeshit!! <ok>)

10. DHCanary

Forum Moderator

Check the first post of this thread, it's got all current rumours and deals. Most recent rumour is Steven Defour of Porto, nothing else of interest has really been reported.

11. canary-dave

canary-dave Well-Known Member

Did you see on twitter this morning we've been linked with Celtic defender Charlie Mulgrew for a bid of £3M!

12. I_Clean_holtys_boots

I think that was just a random tweet, though he is similar to Whittaker in the sense he can play in a few positions on the left and middle.

13. DHCanary

Forum Moderator

Yeah, I've had a search on twitter and I can't find anything reporting an interest. I don't know whether you want me to include twitter-chat in the OP or not, maybe in a separate section?

Also, James Nursey has tweeted saying he's been told we're after a holding midfielder, and he thinks we're going to look to play 4-4-2 more frequently next season. Presumably that means we'll be after someone to act as a deep-lying playmaker, and Hoolahan will be sacrificed for a second striker? Anyway know how creative Ricky is?

14. DHCanary

Forum Moderator

Danny Simpson is going to be available on a free from Newcastle this summer. Thoughts?

15. BillyNCFC

BillyNCFC Well-Known Member

If his wages aren't too high maybe, depends if that will annoy our current right backs as I think Whittaker is a much better right back than him.

16. YellowLittle

YellowLittle Well-Known Member

I am not a huge fan of loans, and it may not be able to happen now Gotze is on his way out. Next season I wouldn't mind trying to get Leonardo Bittencourt on loan from Dortmund. A very good prospect and hasn't been given too many games purely because Dortmund have so many talented attacking players.

I think the question would be whether he could handle the rigours of the Premier League as he is perhaps slightly lightweight, as well as that he will be 20 in December so is very young. Would he be worth a look at on loan?

Not a rumour by the way, just a suggestion.

Also saw about Sam Byram posted above, I would love to see him at our club but would probably have to ship him out on loan first season, purely because he isn't quite as good as Whittaker or Martin YET. I think he would cost us £5 mill minimum either way, and he is being linked with some more established Prem teams who can perhaps afford to invest that kind of money in the future. It's a lot of money for us to invest on someone who won't really improve our team straightaway which we have to do.

17. RiverEndRick

RiverEndRick Well-Known Member

Had a look at Charlie Mulgrew on Wiki and could see some sense in that. At 27, he's 6'3" and can play CB or LB and £3m seems reasonable for a Scottish international with Champions League experience who could provide competition/cover at two positions. Don't know if CH rates him though.

18. I_Clean_holtys_boots

Harry Arter is the latest name, playmaker for Bournemouth.

19. DHCanary

Forum Moderator

Thanks, added. (Incidentally, would people rather I ordered rumours by date or by position? I've gone for position at the moment but it's easy to change in the future)

Apparently he's one of "the best young midfielders in the country". He's 23, although just signed a long term contract with Bournemouth, who what with promotion probably would want a fair chunk for him. Swansea are also linked.

20. Walsh.i.am

Walsh.i.am Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Excellent thread this, DH <ok>