1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Summer '24 transfer window

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by Scout73, Mar 7, 2024.

1. FellTop

FellTop Well-Known Member

I have no doubt Dodds will be part of the team. He might even be the number 2 if Regis sees him work and think he is good enough. No problem with that if Regis wants it.

I do think we need more coaches though. 3 or 4 doesnt seem enough to me.

2. SourPatch2

SourPatch2 Well-Known Member

:emoticon-0140-rofl: Fair enough!

I do think that whoever the 'experienced' players we bring in though aren't going to be great.

3. LKToday

LKToday Active Member

What makes you think that?

4. Scout73

Scout73 Well-Known Member

Unless we bring in my man Browne lol

I think theyll be decent, but not as good as some think. Norwood is a great example, if he comes in i think he will add something to the squad but he isnt of the level that some think he is. He is very poor out of possession and the other CMs will need to cover a lot of ground for him

He can control the tempo when in possession tho and i think weve missed someone who can do that - plus his set pieces are class

5. SourPatch2

SourPatch2 Well-Known Member

Should've worded it better, they won't be players who are at the top of their game or coming off great seasons. Like Evans, Batth, Pritch, Dack, Moore. Solid players but nothing more.

6. Hudson92

Hudson92 Well-Known Member

Still holding out hope we go in for Cresswell now his moves fallen through has experience similar to Ballard when he came in so ticks the experience and one to develop boxes

7. CR17

CR17 Well-Known Member

Since when did experience equal age? There’s plenty young players who have plenty of first team experience behind them. Even Le Bris said this. We aren’t just going to sign 30+ year olds when it comes to experience the odd one or two yes but we can get experience in young players too

8. Frazier the Lion

Think we need to be careful about blocking the pathway for others in the middle of defence. Was looking at centre half stats last week and it was noticeable how highly Seelt scores in many categories. Shows up as one of the best in the division in some areas. Whilst I thought he looked very promising last season, I was surprised at how well he compares. As such we need to be very careful about not blocking his minutes once he’s back. And I may be kidding himself but he was walking absolutely fine in the kit video the other day.

9. Scout73

Think they still expect him out for months, likely not back until Dec time

Def need another CB imo

Then let Hjelde go get minutes on loan, he has the potential to be a good player but needs 1st team minutes and might struggle here - unless he has a class preseason

10. Hudson92

Hudson92 Well-Known Member

If I’m honest I forgot all about him haha, maybe an experienced loan would be best to cover until he’s back fit?

Frazier the Lion likes this.

11. LKToday

LKToday Active Member

Fair enough mate, yeah I’m with you on that one.

SourPatch2 likes this.
  12. Frazier the Lion

I’d be tempted to push it personally - although I said the same thing last year in anticipation of Evans coming back in the autumn! Last year’s pair are good enough for a playoff push in my view. And for me Seelt is the upgrade that we already have on the books. I reckon we’d be able to bump along till the winter with what we have - albeit I’d be okay for us to get a top quality option in too, of course!

clockstander, Nads and Nacho like this.
  13. Scout73

I feel with seelt n huggins out long term - likely to dec time - we need a CB imo

Rbs would be hume n pembele
    Lb - cirkin n alese (Bainbridge as 3rd choice maybe)
    Cb - o9 ballard hjelde triantis

Hjelde i dont mind keeping in the squad as he can cover 2 positions, triantis probably needs a loan as nowhwre near ready for the championship so would leave us tight at the back

Young Ted, TopClub and Hudson92 like this.
  14. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

I've always been impressed with Seelt, big lad, likes a physical contest, good on the ball (for a CB) and has decent pace (for a CB). Been a goal threat from set pieces too as has Triantis. Lots of potential but already at a decent standard.

15. Frazier the Lion

All fair considerations. I guess I’d anticipate Alese being a two position option as well, but running it back would certainly represent a gamble overall. I’d just always prefer to see us try to build a squad with marginally too few players than too many. A big part of last season’s disappointment was down to our squad being far too big in my view.

Weirdly we’d almost be better able to manage with what we’ve got in a back 3 than a back 2 as that would bring Hume into the central group. Nice to be able to concentrate on a small number of incomings though.

clockstander and Robertson like this.
  16. Scout73

Yeah i get that, just feel we need another different - another in the ballard mold (thats why i like cresswell). Alese cirkin pembele have all had injury problems so we would be relying on them to stay fit for most of the season

Just feel adding 1 more quality CB will take us forward

17. Stranded in Lugano

Stranded in Lugano Well-Known Member

I know what you mean. I think someone like McKenna would be ideal as an experienced centre back but wages would be out of reach for us. It’s likely to be someone older and on the decline.

TheBronzeBummer and SourPatch2 like this.
  18. FellTop

FellTop Well-Known Member

I am not massively keen on Norwood personally. Decent enough player but dont see him as the holding player at all. Like you say not good enough out of posession. I would keep Neil in there to dictate our game, and let Rigg play more advanced with Jobe and Ekwah.

19. Flash Gordon

Flash Gordon Well-Known Member

£30m seems somewhat short for those 2 imo. They're probably on a par with Ballard and Clarke and I'd be hoping for a bit more than £30m.

20. CR17

CR17 Well-Known Member

how I wish this was KS saying this about us right now

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 19, Guests: 0)

1. Hudson92
  2. Jarca
  3. Faustoc
  4. safcrd16
  5. Samcro
  6. Stranded in Lugano
  7. TheTruthWillOut
  8. SeahamMackem
  9. Joel Harvey
  10. Scootsie
  11. PickleRick
  12. Steeeeeeeeeed