1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Summer '24 transfer window

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by Scout73, Mar 7, 2024.

1. Scout73

Scout73 Well-Known Member

Thought id get this started to get folks thoughts on the summer transfer window. As always great to hear folks opinions and anyone who hears any rumours get them in this thread

2. Scout73

Couple new names to me (we havent been linked with these lads but players ive scouted) that we should monitor:

Uran Bislimi - Lugano, can play on the wings or CM - technically outstanding and now in and around the Switzerland senior squad. Yes he has no championship experience but good experience in Switzerland. Has really kicked on this season and is a player that could be a cracking signing for us

Matonvic - CF (yes a possible striker), this lad is 6ft 4, has very good hold up and link up and is now scoring goals in germany. He turns 21 this month, hes on loan at Karlsruher from Frankfurt. Has scored 13 goals this season but hes scored 10 of them since start of December. German youth International and has the presence we need in a CF. Again i get hes not a championship experienced striker but hes someone with big upside who is a big improvement on what we have now. He isnt rapid but has good enough pace but he knows how to use his strength n body while being technically very good

Dorset, Young Ted, Nads and 20 others like this.
  3. Jarca

Jarca Well-Known Member

I certainly feel this could be a pivotal summer for us. We must get the head coach appointment spot on, someone who will grow with us over a few seasons.
    This summer will possibly see one of our key players sold. It'll be interesting how we reinvest the money.
    Hopefully a few legacy deals will expire allowing us to increase our income streams.
    This season was always going to be harder than the previous one. I'd love for us returning to playing fast exciting football.

4. Southern A

Southern A Well-Known Member

Noooooooo Scout its way to early :D

Anyway, finding the balance this window is going to be really tough. Naturally us fans will want to see signings made quickly. But in reality a lot of our signings might be dependant on selling first. Or if not dependant, then at least beneficial.

For example - if we sell Ballard we will want a new CB to replace him. So we don't want to go out and buy a £1m center back earlier in the window when we might have £5m to spend on one later on.

Likewise for Neil and Clarke.

But on the flipside, once we have sold for large fees, clubs will know we have money.

So whilst this is going to be a pivotal window for Speakman, its also going to be an incredibly tough one.

Young Ted, Snaggey, Hudson92 and 2 others like this.
  5. Scout73

Haha I know, probably is too early but i like looking ahead

This summer is one of the biggest weve ever had imo, if we sell clarke (which im 95% sure we will) we need to invest it in real quality. Not unproven players that might be good in a few yrs but it must be players that have played senior football at a good level and can hit the ground running

The south american market is always a good one to target, not a market i know that well but the value is always great and the leagues are played at a good tempo

Every window is hard but if we have money from selling one of our top players then we can come out of the window better than we went in

Young Ted, COYCS, Gil T Azell and 4 others like this.
  6. Hudson92

Hudson92 Well-Known Member

Get all giddy when I see these posts haha, for me a similar approach to what we are doing but a level up, easier said than done, would like some experience but I’m not talking 30+, plenty of 23 year olds are experienced enough to come in and make a difference, definitely need a centre forward and centre mid then see who leaves and what other gaps we need to fill

7. Dave_39

Dave_39 Well-Known Member

need to sign some experienced players too not just very young and use most of the money we get for Clarke

Robertson likes this.
  8. Scout73

Totally agree, i want us to sign younger players but some most have experience so they can hit the ground running. Signings like roberts, clarke, ballard were huge - all had their best yrs ahead of them but had good experience there as well

I wouldnt mind adding 1 or 2 seasoned pros (not sure who at the minute) that can help kick our youngsters on

At the end of the day whether they have experienced or not, they must improve us immediately. I would like 1 or 2 going into our u21s to develop but last summer the majority were players that fell into that category

9. Chunksafc

Chunksafc Well-Known Member

My usual suggestion Miles Leaburn from Charlton :emoticon-0100-smile

10. Hudson92

Hudson92 Well-Known Member

I think the fringes of the premier league/their top under 23s is a good way to go, the Mubama’s, Charlie cresswells is where there is the right blend of youth and being ready for the championship, as you have said the South America market has proven successful recently I’d like to try that abit more too

malagamackem likes this.

11. vinkel

vinkel Well-Known Member

I think the model is, our young players this season will be our experienced players next season.

safcfansofaraway and alcoauth like this.
  12. Pure River Slut

Pure River Slut Well-Known Member

Only thing I disagree with in this is ‘one’ of our key players being sold. I think it will be more unless we have refreshed ambition. Massive summer for us and a bad time to lose trust in our recruitment team.

Jarca likes this.
  13. Pure River Slut

Pure River Slut Well-Known Member

I see it as a core of trusted quality players for this level more than age with some innovation across the squad.

Young Ted and Scout73 like this.
  14. Sour Patch

Sour Patch Guest

Think he's injured until the end of the season which is a shame, hopefully doesn't become a injury prone player. He's also going to be entering his final year of his contract so a bargain to be had, especially with Methven in charge. Would definitely take if his injury disappears.

Chunksafc and Robertson like this.
  15. alcoauth

alcoauth Well-Known Member

Outgoings:

Jack Clarke, we should be seeking £25m all in, Lazio were allegedly willing to pay £16m, if we can get someone to go £20m with £5m on the backend, we’d be doing okay.

Dan Ballard, we really need to be looking for north of £15m, ideally something like £18m. West Ham were heavily linked in the summer, perhaps a deal can be struck for a little less if they’re willing to wipe off any sell-on clauses associated with Ekwah and Aji’s deals.

Dan Neil, as close to £20m as possible, lesser players have moved from the Championship for similar fees.

These are the three most likely to leave for better things imo and I would insist on only letting 2 of the 3 go this summer.

Young Ted and smithy in nl like this.
  16. TopCat_

TopCat_ Well-Known Member

Assuming Clarke leaves and everyone else stays:

Sell/Release
    Bishop
    Bass
    Taylor
    Anderson
    Matete
    Dack
    Diamond

Loan Out
    Hemir
    Mayenda
    Triantis
    Bennette

Squad

upload_2024-3-7_12-43-8.png

Some glaring holes there. Think we need:

1 x GK (Unless Richardson or Younge step up)
    1 x CB
    1 x LW
    1 x CAM
    2 x CF

That is in an ideal world, although you assume Speakman will double down on Hemir, Mayenda and Rusyn as being our starting strikers

LD19SAFC and Hudson92 like this.
  17. alcoauth

Just spent 700k on Bishop from Man Utd, unless we’re making that back we’re not paying up his contract for him to sign for free elsewhere.

18. TopCat_

TopCat_ Well-Known Member

Wow. That much? Admittedly it's only one game but he didn't look any better than Bass when I saw him. Guess we're stuck with him then

19. alcoauth

Same with Bass, we paid £165k but also some of the Denver Hume fee was used a makeweight so potentially around £250k from Portsmouth for him. AFC Wimbledon’s record transfer fee is £25k. No chance they’ll x10 their current record.

20. Snaggey

Snaggey Well-Known Member

@Scout73, can I just say I love your input on here mate.
    Very knowledgeable and very insightful....and very much appreciated.
    <applause><applause><applause>

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)

1. BUC