1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Transfer Rumours Summer 2020 Transfer Thread

Discussion in 'Hull City' started by originallambrettaman, Jun 16, 2020.

1. Steven Toast

Steven Toast Well-Known Member

The thing with playing youth is that if they aren't ready, it can horribly impact their game. KLP came in brimming with confidence last season and that's great, ditto the two lads that went out on loan to Cheltenham.

But even at League One level, there's a huge gulf between the standard of the league and our U23s. Certainly they would have been overfaced in the Championship, especially in a losing team. If we played our U23s against Harrogate in the EFL Trophy, I think they'd find it tough against full time professionals.

That's not to say they're bad players, they're at the start of their careers, but I think there's something in getting them adjusted to the level we're at. They're a talented bunch, so we'll no doubt see some go out on loan anyway. I know you've got to have the experience of first team football, but at whose expense in this team that's kept three clean sheets and won three games? If they're sat on the bench, they're not on the pitch so they might as well be in the league below getting first team experience.

SW3 Chelsea Tiger likes this.
  2. Kalman

Kalman Well-Known Member

Neither was the rest of the squad, evidently. I remind you that Jarrod Bowen made his City debut in the 2016-17 season, the season we got relegated back to the Championship, and played in 7 Premier League games. Didn't do him any harm as he went on to score 14 league goals in 2017-18.

I'd much rather have our academy players coming on as subs from off the bench than signing another player on loan to sit on the bench. Just my opinion. Like I said, if we were re-signing Herbie Kane who'd be guaranteed to start, I'd back it. But signing Premier League academy players on loan to sit on our bench is a waste of wages and also a waste of their time. The loanees will want lots of game time as well.

newlandcasual likes this.
  3. hullborn

hullborn Well-Known Member

From his agent..

“He can still play wide, but I would call him more of an attacking midfielder, more like a number 8 or a 10 in a more central role.”

4. Steven Toast

Ive only ever seen him play wide, so I’ll take your word for it. When he says number 8, I think of a CM. Where did he play for Oxford last season?

5. Howdentiger2

Howdentiger2 Well-Known Member

I'd much rather our academy players go out on loan and get full games week in week out and come back to us much better players ready to be fine art team players as apposed to sitting on our bench and getting 5/10mins here and there. If our academy players where good enough and ready, grant wouldn't be looking elsewhere.

Ric Glasgow likes this.
  6. GLP

GLP Well-Known Member

Erm..........We’re not in the **** at the moment.

7. THE EXCLUSIVE 10%

THE EXCLUSIVE 10% Well-Known Member

Lost the plot a little here. Who are you on about?

8. johnbo

johnbo Well-Known Member

Think we would all like to see our academy players make it but nothing wrong with added competition.You would hope this lad is ready to make his mark in the team, obviously nothing guaranteed. Agree with you regarding herbie Kane but it's a long season and a decent size squad is needed. Let's just hope he is a very decent player. Again it's judgement of the management/scouting system and you hope he's better than what we have otherwise like you say what's the point. Hopefully he w be good.

9. kingstontiger

kingstontiger Well-Known Member

I don't think Batty is a number 8. And at the moment I'm afraid he's behind not just Smallwood but evidently Jones as a CDM too.

10. Mckechnie Orange

Mckechnie Orange Well-Known Member

Woodburn has my money. Fits the bill from the description.

11. Ric Glasgow

Ric Glasgow Well-Known Member

Never said we were.

Howdentiger2 likes this.
  12. look_back_in_amber

look_back_in_amber Well-Known Member

Ben Woodburn from Liverpool.

13. GLP

GLP Well-Known Member

You used the loan of Harry Wilson as an example of dragging us out of the ****. Which was in response to my message about not wanting a kid on loan from a PL team blocking the path to first team opportunities for our own players.

We aren’t in the **** at the moment, so I would much rather have nothing than another young kid loanee. We have plenty of U23s knocking on the door of the first team, all this loan signing does is block a route into the first team for them. Review in January by all means.

Transfer focus would be far better spent on another very experienced (in age) midfielder.

14. Shark Sports

Shark Sports Well-Known Member

But according to Grant, he's coming in with an obligation to buy. So he's basically our player anyway. We've got some good u23s, but we're unlikely to be promoted if we're relying on too many of them. If it's Barlaser, then he's 23 so not particularly young either and would be an immense signing

15. GLP

GLP Well-Known Member

We’ve got good players breaking through in addition to the first team players already here. Just a waste of a signing in my opinion.

16. Shark Sports

The young lads need games, let them go out on loan. Greaves can go to L1, Sheaf and C Jones can go to L2. None of them are going to feature much from now on.

We've already seen with Bonds, he's gone to L2 and has impressed. He'll come back a miles better player

Howdentiger2 likes this.
  17. Steven Toast

Ben Woodburn at Liverpool.

18. petersaxton

petersaxton Well-Known Member

McCann said not

19. GLP

GLP Well-Known Member

Or just give them the opportunity in our team. It’s not like League One is a great standard.

20. Shark Sports

But it's gonna take major injuries for them to get game time. Youngsters are also inconsistent. We have some great youngsters but it's definitely best for them and us long term that they go and get games.

We're way stronger and have more depth than I ever imagined going into this season, we've given it a proper go and kudos to all for that. The downside is that the youngsters don't get the mins we all expected.

Greaves, Arthur and Sheaf wouldn't even get into the EFL trophy side now.

Howdentiger2 likes this.