1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

suarez v evra

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by JeezonTorst, Oct 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sir_Red

Sir_Red Well-Known Member

So ergo he's a racist too? great logic there.

2. Swarbs

Swarbs Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Probably cos he realised the ref was too far away to hear anything. Guess he wanted to make the allegation at a time when the evidence, i.e. the video replays, could be checked. Didn't Marcelo do the same thing when alleging racist abuse by Busquets?

Did the English media try to speak to him after the match? Canal+ cover the PL and usually interview the French players whilst the English media are busy interviewing the English players, goalscorers and managers.

Evra told Canal+

"There were (TV) cameras. You can see him telling me this one word at least 10 times. There is no room for this in 2011."

So I fail to see how Suarez can sue Evra unless the FA investigation conclusively proves that Suarez didn't mention this unspecified word around ten times during the match. And we both know the FA investigation will be roundly "inconclusive"...

3. HammersmithBlue

I refuse to watch Liverpool fc if that cheat is on the team sheet. Let's boycott any match suarez plays

4. Sir_Red

Sir_Red Well-Known Member

I'm sure lfc will feel the hit of your boycott for an ALLEGED racist remark.

5. Chris.

Chris. #bringbackchris

Do what you want.

I'm quite confident that Liverpool FC won't feel the impact of your boycott.

6. The artist JerryChristmas

The artist JerryChristmas "Massive old member"

But with there being so many cameras, 22 players on the pitch, microphones everywhere,3 match officials on the pitch how can the FA fail to prove he said this to him TEN times? If Evra is so certain he can prove it that he is willing to state it as fact on a worldwide broadcasting channel then he damn well better get some proof don't you think? If he provides this proof and it's incontrovertible evidence then Suarez deserves the book thrown at him but if as I suspect will be the case he has no proof then I hope he gets sued for a fortune. Either way this could get very messy.

7. BringBackfootie

BringBackfootie New Member

8. Rubadub

Rubadub Well-Known Member

Evra has made false accusation's before more than once and he has a reputation for being a bit of a twat, he is French after all. Im not saying Suarez is innocent because it's impossible for any of us to see but innocent until proven guilty and all that and it will be pretty easy to prove him guilty if he said it ten time's like Evra said.

9. BringBackfootie

Evra is the one gobbin out of him in that giff, he's lucky, I'd have just slapped him like the larry fishburne bitch he is.

10. Swarbs

Swarbs Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

The cameras will only pick up his lips, and if Suarez is talking in a thick Uruguayan accent it will be difficult to prove exactly what he said from lipreading
    If the mics haven't picked up the sound clearly then you'll never prove it one way or another
    The officials were all at least 30 yards away and so can't be expected to have heard exactly what was said
    The players can't be trusted - no matter what the facts are the Utd players won't shop Evra and the Liverpool players won't shop Suarez. Even if a Liverpool player overheard the remark do you really think they would sell their teammate out? Likewise if a Utd player heard everything and there was no racism.

I still can't see anyone getting sued no matter what. Evra didn't get sued when he accused Bethnall in 2008, and Busquets didn't get sued for accusing Marcelo last season. Besides which, if Suarez did sue and was successful, it would open the floodgates for anyone who accused a fellow professional of diving, cheating, simulating etc etc etc. I can't see the courts being too willing to open a floodgate like that, particularly cos Suarez won't suffer any damage to his reputation if the FA exonerates him. In fact, I don't think you can be found civilly liable for accusing someone of a criminal act (or any act for which they can be exonerated by a court or disciplinary process).

11. Swarbs

Swarbs Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Here you go:

"Six months ago, an unnamed British man sued a woman, also anonymous for falsely accusing him of having raped her 40 times. British appellate courts ruled that he had no legal recourse against her even though she admitted that her claims were false."

From the Daily Mail in 2009. If you can't sue someone for falsely accusing you of rape, I seriously doubt you can sue them for false accusations of racism...

12. BringBackfootie

Evra would say it is racist to ask for dark chocolate. Black coffee and Swar Wars' The Dark Side. Guy has a massive fkn chip on his shoulder

13. BringBackfootie

In a case like that you need to prove the damaged it caused and sue for that, maybe he didn't do that too well?

14. Swarbs

Swarbs Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

It's quite clearly racist. The correct term is "Afro-Caribbean chocolate". I suggest you use the correct version next time you are out shopping <ok>

15. BringBackfootie

:emoticon-0102-bigsm

Frys are gonna get their asses sued by Evra's lawyer. Black Pudding will be banned also

16. Swarbs

Swarbs Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Nope, the court ruled he couldn't sue as he had been exonerated and hence no reputation damage, and also noted that allowing him to sue would run the risk of preventing others from making genuine accusations out of fear.

Say, for example, Suarez is exonerated based on lack of evidence, sues Evra and wins £500,000 for damage to his reputation. What then happens if Gerrard, Rooney, Terry or some other higher profile footballer makes racist allegations against some young kid playing for Blackburn or Bolton on £500 a week? How can that kid then make an accusation and risk being bankrupted if there is no conclusive TV evidence?

17. BringBackfootie

Yet another judge may see it a very different way and damaged is caused while the accusation is hanging over his head. A claim like that can ruin your whole fkn life in a week. I reckon that guy was very unlucky indeed.

18. Foredeckdave

Foredeckdave Music Thread Manager

I truly hope this whole thing just goes away as nobody is going to benefit from it.

If the investigation does not lead to a charge by the FA then there is the possibility of Suarez's lawyers bringing a civil claim for damages against Evra for damaging his reputation.

It was not until MOTD last night that the majority of us even knew that an allegation had been made. Therefore why would the British media be seeking to talk to Evra about a claim that they, then, knew nothing about?

19. Swarbs

Swarbs Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Maybe, but the guy managed to take his claim all the way to the Court of Appeals, so that'd be a pretty tough precedent to overturn.

I hope it is fully investigated and turns out to just be a misunderstanding. I don't particularly like either of Suarez or Evra as people, but I'd hate to thing one was racist or the other was making malicious accusations.

20. Foredeckdave

Foredeckdave Music Thread Manager

The trouble is that legal action may not be in the hands of either player. There are some major commercial interests that may feel themselves to be damaged by the accusations.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.