1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic So, what now?

Discussion in 'Bristol City' started by bcfcredandwhite, Jan 15, 2019.

1. BCFCRob

BCFCRob Well-Known Member

And how do you plan on checking weights/types of materials used, the content of food, the exact size and measurements of products, etc are all compatible with our law using just cameras?

The tech might well be there but it isn't going to be by using cameras alone...

Heck, you can still smuggle drugs onto an aeroplane if you're crafty enough so how they're going to permanently monitor the contents of everything across a 300mile+ border is beyond me.

2. Redprintt

Redprintt Well-Known Member

Makes you wonder how the USA and Canada manage across a 3,000mile border.

Red Robin likes this.
  3. BCFCRob

With border crossings. Those things that on the Irish border, we can't have.

4. johngalleyfan2

johngalleyfan2 Well-Known Member

Please elaborate weights of what? ........define checking materials used ..used in what? … the content of food … what how many peas in a tin? and what would you need the exact size /measurements [ isn't a measurement the size?] of and for why … see if it would fit in a smaller vehicle or get through the narrowest part of the road ?

5. johngalleyfan2

if you watch any of those border patrol TV shows it is only vehicles that take people to that crossing point that will get checked … if you stop a mile down the road load up a few rucksacks with contraband and all but the driver in a perfectly clean and legal car. veh goes through the check out he drives down the road other side of the border and picks up the rest of family who have walked to a given spot!...
    in the many times I crossed back from France I could have made a fortune smuggling excessive quantities of " contraband" ..would never even consider drugs … being anti drug! and that was through borders…………………. whilst i remember.. posted Macron was not doing the 75yr rememberances … he had a change of heart apparently …
    on borders … any car or vehicle leaving ENGLAND SCOTLAND WALES or NI is obligated to go through a check point .. any vehicle coming into ENGLAND WALES SCOTLAND NI from EIRE FRANCE BELGIUM SPAIN HOLLAND etc is obligated to go through a checkpoint ...every port in the UK has checkpoints or Customs … if you sail a yacht [ or boat ] into a harbour you are noted by the harbour master or customs .. at some you have to check in / have to inform them! the biggest problem is that NI and EIRE have a border like no other .. they used to be one nation but it is what it is and the problem is being a real pain ……. with it being used as a springboard to elevate certain individuals aims in life ………..

6. RedorDead

RedorDead Well-Known Member

So you’ve argued saying it can be controlled at 11.11pm and shown a way round the controls at 11:32 so in 21 minutes you’ve beaten the system.

And this is exactly what I believe Rob is alluding to. People can cross into Southern Ireland from EU and walk around the road system getting into Northern Ireland and travel to UK virtually unchecked.

ccfcremotesupport and BCFCRob like this.
  7. Redprintt

Redprintt Well-Known Member

I really believe the border problem could be solved by the old saying : 'where there's a will there's a way'.

The problem lies where those in the EU and UK 'remainers' don't have or want that will.

8. Red Robin

Red Robin Well-Known Member

Sadly plenty of them out there.

9. Oldsparkey

Oldsparkey Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Exactly this.

The Irish border issue is a complex issue and shouldn't be dissmissed, but is being used as a tool by those that have no wish to leave the EU.

It's being driven along by Varadkar with massive support from the remainers in this country and especially EU officialdom in the belief that this single issue will derail the whole process.

10. BCFCRob

Ah got it. So you believe a solution exists, but you don't know what it is, and you blame the remainers for not coming up with it?

Honestly this is astounding logic.

11. oneforthebristolcity

oneforthebristolcity Well-Known Member

Redprintt is saying that a solution is possible but we "the ordinary people" doesn't have that knowledge to every technology detail that exists.doesn't mean to say that it's not out there, but remainers are just poo pooing the fact that it could, to try and add muscle for their cause....

Redprintt likes this.
  12. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

There is one piece of logic I don't get, there was a referendum vote by the nation, the majority voted leave, not how, not why but leave, remain lost the vote,the solution is leave but you and all your contempories can't accept the simple fact you lost the vote and are trying to enforce the will of a minority on us.

The vote was out, parliament ratified by a huge majority, articlce 50 parliament ratified, general election 80% people voted for parties that had manifestoes with a commitment to leave, 4 different votes to leave.

Honestly the more outstanding logic that we, the majority are allowing this to continue, we should enforce the will of the majority, get out and assume our own independence and control, provide the facts that we will thrive on our own, then offer the nation the chance a vote to give up their freedom and wealth again to Europe via another referendum.

The democratic will of the majority should be upheld.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2019
    Redprintt and ccfcremotesupport like this.
  13. johngalleyfan2

Don't know what the times mean … the system has not been fool proof since the year dot … the only application pertinent to EIRE /NI is that before the accord and in the future people will still do it if there is a barrier .. I know of a case in 1978 of a party of 5 that went to Austria for 3 weeks … arriving at the port 1 had forgotten their passport … so before they went into dover they repacked the luggage around him and went over as a 4 … they came back as a 4 [ had considered posting passport to place they were staying but post then was not as efficient as today ]
    Even as a uk CITIZEN coming back you have to show your passport at the ports … usually when checking the ticket … getting to EIRE [NOT FLYING] from EUROPE is still quickest via the channel … via UK

14. johngalleyfan2

:emoticon-0148-yes::emoticon-0148-yes::emoticon-0148-yes::emoticon-0148-yes::emoticon-0148-yes::emoticon-0148-yes:

15. johngalleyfan2

real good old fashioned Irish name

kiwi fruit

16. RedorDead

If you went back in time, I think you may find that Rob was voting to leave but didn’t vote due to not being around at the time. He’s just a man standing up for what he believes is correct at this time. I would suspect he like everyone just wants to get on with it.

I for one admire him for standing up for what I believed in. It’s what I taught my kids and what I will teach my granddaughters

BCFCRob likes this.
  17. RedorDead

I’m confused, are you saying there is a way to stop freedom of movement across southern and Northern Ireland or just telling everyone that you can beat it?

18. BCFCRob

Accurate and appreciated.

And while everything wiz says is correct, so is the opposing view. That being the fact that referendum was won on the slightest of margins - in illegal circumstances involving both overspending and illegal use of data. Take away either of those, and remain may well have won - so for leave to have essentially won based on illegal activity is a very sketchy thing to go all in on. Speaking of which, many say that all leavers voted for a hard Brexit. But if remain had won and we'd gone all in (i.e joined Schengen, the Euro, EU army, etc), they'd be complaining themselves.

I think both viewpoints of mine and wiz are valid and fair. And that's part of the reason we're in this mess. Neither of us are factually wrong in what we've said despite the views being pretty much polar opposites.

19. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

Have a read of this and see how many lies and false claims the government made on behalf of the remain side of the argument that was put in the leaflet that was posted to every home in the UK, paid for by the taxpayer and never included in the total spend the remoaners made in their blurb.

A little bit dated but it does give a strong case for the fact the lies from remain were strong and misleading and the government under Cameron were a bunch of remainers, twisted the rules of spend with their freebie leaflet and got away with it, especially as it was financed by the taxpayer of whom the majority voted leave.
    https://spiritbodysoul.com/lies-in-hmg-leaflet-eu-referendum/

Last edited: Jun 6, 2019
  20. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

A change of opinion ~
    'At a press conference at their Toulouse headquarters on May 21, the new CEO of Airbus, Guillaume Faury, announced a welcome shift in Airbus’ policy towards Brexit. Airbus’ new leader told assembled journalists that the company is now resolved to remain in the United Kingdom, regardless of the outcome of Brexit and, moreover: “The United Kingdom is part of Airbus and Airbus is part of the United Kingdom and we would like to progress that”
    https://www.conservativehome.com/pl...welcome-airbus-change-of-heart-on-brexit.html

I can remember a certain individual pointing out that ' Airbus ' was almost certain to desert the UK if Britain was to leave.

Redprintt likes this.