1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic So, what now?

Discussion in 'Bristol City' started by bcfcredandwhite, Jan 15, 2019.

1. Red Alert

Red Alert Well-Known Member

what was the answer?

2. oneforthebristolcity

oneforthebristolcity Well-Known Member

Yes but all EU countries have access to the single market and free trade. A science park compared to what's been used in Barcelona alone is pittance in all fairness..
    I do agree with you, we are famous for wasting money on lots of things.....including meeting regulations (some good some dreadful) set by the EU!

3. Red Alert

why cant we run our water on our own? gas? electricity? trains? why must rivals be involved? the answer is because the EU says so. the EU tells us how we run our water electricity gas all the important stuff . That is why millions voted leave. the EU is anti democracy.

4. BCFCRob

BCFCRob Well-Known Member

Do you want to back that up with some fact at all? Sounds like just regurgitated papers lies to me...

There is literally nothing from the EU stopping a Government-run organisation, competing for those contracts and winning them, and running our own services. Nothing.

5. Red Alert

Footwork like Fury fella. Probably a young un banging a different point. you have still not answered the ??? why cant we run our water on our own? gas? electricity? trains? why must rivals be involved? own? no banks and foreign investors? no rivals? on our own?

6. BCFCRob

Literally answered it here less than a day ago:
    https://not606.com/threads/so-what-now.370969/page-14#post-12525344

Anti-monopoly rules are there for a reason. Inevitably it ends with the consumer getting screwed over. With the EU rules, it allows a state to run these business but only if they offer competitive services. So basically we can run it on our own, but only if we are better than the rivals prices/services. Which is surely the best solution.

Coming from you then. 'Footwork like fury'. Show me one bit of fact that backs up your point.

7. Cliftonville

Cliftonville Well-Known Member

So the simple answer is the EU.

The EU in this case could usurp the democratic will of a nation like Britain if we wanted to privatise utilities etc.

You may be interested if the left wing case for brexit Rob - Lexit. Nationalisation is a big part of why many on the left and the EU's dislike of democracy voted to leave.

8. BCFCRob

IF it was worse than a rival's private service then yes. Surely that is a good thing?

Let's leave this point because ultimately we're not going to agree. I absolutely cannot see how the above is bad, I see it as a protection for the consumer, but I'm happy to concede that you may know more than me on the topic even if I cannot see your perspective. Having said that, I'd argue that of all the reasons to leave the EU, this would be a particularly small one (in the bigger picture at least).

I'm not completely in favour of the EU Cliftonville, I totally understand that there are left and right viewpoints, both for and against it. But I'm in favour of remain over a no-deal Brexit, and over any kind of deal I can see us getting in the immediate future. But you are right, more reading can never do any harm so I will take a look.

wizered likes this.
  9. Cliftonville

If you watch something like Lexit the movie the globalised economics and more caring capatalism they mention cannot be a possibility in the EU. It is also debatable if aspects of labours last manifesto are deliverable under the EU.

10. johngalleyfan2

johngalleyfan2 Well-Known Member

that's the long term plan ...iron heel ….
    as the 21cms of snow outside melts.. in my cherry tree are 7 fieldfare, 2 blackbirds [ male] and a female AND a really black birdbird with a black beak .. a European one! obviously trying to avoid the central EUROPEAN STORMS!

11. BCFCRob

Posted this a month ago, and as we see, 3,500 jobs gone today from Honda. Heading to Japan - who have a trade deal with the EU.

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-47282603

I don't see how or why the other car manufacturers would stay. Up to 180,000 high-skilled jobs at risk here. Project Fear genuinely coming to fruition in this case.

On a side note, and one that will probably appease many of you. How ****ed are Labour right now?! <doh>

12. Cliftonville

You should keep your powder dry for job losses that are really due to Brexit because this one is not … The new trade deal means the limits on imported Japanese cars alter over the next few years so the British plant will no longer be "needed" to get Honda cars into the EU, cars that can now be manufactured outside of the EU instead of inside.

13. BCFCRob

Be that as it may, I refuse to believe Brexit and the higher tariffs do not have at least an influence. Over 10,000 automotive-related jobs gone since November, I don't think it's coincidence. And further job losses are not specific to this industry.

14. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

Diesel engines, Electric cars and new testing rules are a major part of the decline in the motor industry, a real major part. 17% down in 2017, 16.7% in November 2018, 20% in September 2018.
    16.7 % decline in November 2018
    https://www.fleetnews.co.uk/news/ma.../diesel-new-car-sales-fall-by-167-in-november
    20% decline in sales in September 2018
    https://www.theguardian.com/busines...lumper-new-emissions-tests-choke-uk-car-sales
    This was the latest in a series of falls in new diesel car sales. In 2017, demand for new diesel cars plunged by 17%.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-43655703
    Diesel sales decline world wide 2013 to 2017
    https://www.statista.com/statistics/425113/eu-car-sales-share-of-diesel-engines-by-country/

It's happening all over the world, China, USA, India and that is not all down to Brexit, an effect only yes, influence maybe, reason no.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2019
  15. johngalleyfan2

this has nothing to do with Brexit or very very very little, they signed a deal last week or maybe 2 which over a couple of years eliminates any tax on their cars to ZERO aftera couple of years.... they have a place in uk because they manufactured here so no tax, but movig production to japan along with electric car manufacture which in time will eliminate most other vehicle plants!

16. Red Alert

Honda also shutting a plant in Turkey. Is that down to Brexit ?

wizered likes this.
  17. johngalleyfan2

THE WRITING WAS ON THE WALL WHEN EU SIGNED THAT DEAL …..
    ON
    another note … -7 in the labour party! and if you listened to what they said and about what then light is at the end of the tunnel maybe JC, ONE TRACK MIND just wants to get an elelection ! but needs to be careful [ hope he isn't] or it could be double figures! ...

18. BCFCRob

If you're referring to tariffs, that's exactly what they had with us while we were in the EU. So surely Brexit would have an impact?

I think wiz's post is a good one to be fair actually, and a point I hadn't really thought about. They're apparently releasing some reasoning later which might clear some things up. Maybe it's fair to say that Brexit is possibly not the main cause, but I'd still argue it's pretty coincidental considering just how many jobs have been lost over recent months.

19. BCFCRob

I think it's fair to say this is to do with Brexit:

20. Cliftonville

And?

One of your other pearls was job losses resulting from being in the EU.

Before Brexit was even a thought of, did companies go to the wall, did companies fold, did people lose their jobs, did companies relocate, did companies offshore, outsource?

What is your point?