1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic So, what now?

Discussion in 'Bristol City' started by bcfcredandwhite, Jan 15, 2019.

1. johngalleyfan2

johngalleyfan2 Well-Known Member

wonder where SL keeps his ?
    the confusion here is the referendum was simple do we want to stay in or leave the vote was won because more people had an idea in their minds they /we would be better out
    result LEAVE end of ……………….. NO …..
    Since then the people that voted leave have had to endure things they didn't vote for ……. an opposition that has clearly raised its head "to be as unhelpful as possible to get another election, a SNP that support labour as they believe they can get independence vote if labour got in so chucked their hat in their ring the victims of all this is the people of the UK, LEAVERS OR REMAINERS.

even THIS WEEK after JC has seen 8 members leave [ +3 conservative ] he is still DENYING anti Semitism, calling [ veiled ] for TM to step aside and still denying he is being obstructive … in PMQ's he read from his pre prepared script having already had the questions previously tendered and answers given to them … those rosy red cheeks of his glowing as his time was up [ pmq's time that is ]

2. RedorDead

RedorDead Well-Known Member

Just to make you feel better, I’m a remainer mate.

BCFCRob likes this.
  3. bcfcredandwhite

bcfcredandwhite Well-Known Member

And me - albeit a ‘reluctant’ one.
    It’s strange; I know more Brexiteers on this forum than I do in the flesh!!!!
    In my life, the Remainers outnumber the Brexiteers by about 9-1 - but then I work in financial services and Mrs R&W is a teacher - both professions are staunchly Remain.

BCFCRob and RedorDead like this.
  4. BCFCRob

BCFCRob Well-Known Member

Ah yes. Except that all 3 are indefinite interim solutions and rely on notions such as 'as-yet-unknown technology', and 'alternative arrangements'. So in essence, still instances where nobody has a bloody clue.

There is no workable plan for the border which you or I could physically and easily describe. And that point still stands. Belief that a solution will be found is simply not enough.

Yes, there was. Jacob Rees-Mogg, Nigel Farage, Boris Johnson, Michael Gove, all specifically said before the referendum that leaving the EU would not mean leaving the Single Market. Which as we all know, requires a deal. None of them advocated a no deal Brexit at the time.

You clearly didn't know this, and to be fair at the time nor did I, so to answer your last question, no, none of us knew exactly what we were voting for regarding deal v no deal.

He gets criticised for doing so as well. If every company did that can you imagine how screwed our country would be? Basically getting zero corporation tax income.

Basically the same as you. Aside from my dad I don't really know any leavers. I'm not a massive fan of the EU, I'm really not, so I think we're in a similar boat. It's just painfully obvious to me that leave isn't really feasible, at least not at this moment in time.

5. Cliftonville

Cliftonville Well-Known Member

Overtly negative again.

YOU say there is no workable plan. Northern Irelands history tells us differently,that difficulty of the violent extreme and murderous type can be overcome.

6. BCFCRob

What is a possible plan? Just give me one example? Any example that is actually feasible? And not one of the 3 vague instances you described. Or if it is one of them, expand on it. They're vague by intent, and that's because they don't work.

It's not negative, it's realistic. One could possibly be found, years down the line, but we both know that would require regulatory alignment and being in the single market/customs union until that point.

7. AshtonRed

AshtonRed Well-Known Member

Rob, It’s not in the EU’s interest to find an answer at present to the Irish border. if we leave without a deal they will find an answer very quickly to prevent a back door into the EU. Don’t be fooled by their tactics.
    You keep asking for others to explain how it would work , none of us on here are experts at border control and imports/exports , but they will find a way when it suits them.

Red Robin likes this.
  8. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

I find that point so interesting and have thought so for a while , why doesn't somebody ask the buffoons what they would do about it or how they would resolve it, all is they say," You caused it, you solve it".

Watch the rats run if we are left with a no deal, we should have the strength and willpower to hold our nerve, we have nothing to lose with what's on offer.

Red Robin likes this.
  9. BCFCRob

If a solution exists AR, then why is no one able to describe it? Even if it's not in their interests, surely an analyst, journalist, political commentator, etc would have come up with it?

It doesn't exist and until we see otherwise you can't use your 'belief' as an example I'm afraid mate.

10. AshtonRed

If we leave without a deal I promise you they will find a solution Rob very quickly, it takes 2 sides to agree a way forward , at present they have no interest in finding one , in fact they have every interest in ensuring one isn’t reached, it’s tactics pure and simple.
    I’m also not convinced they are particularly worried about the Irish, they are more concerned with preventing a back door into the EU.

11. AshtonRed

The reason no one can describe it Rob is it will mean compromise on both sides and that won’t be known until the two sides want it to happen, at present the EU doesn’t.
    No one was able to describe the Good Friday Agreement before it was agreed, for the same reason , but it still happened, but only when both sides genuinely wanted to find an answer . Infact before it happened many believed it impossible, I realise the 2 aren’t comparable, but the principle is.

12. AshtonRed

Their answer to solve it Wiz was a border between NI and the rest of the UK in the Irish Sea , which was obviously not going to be acceptable.
    It’s a bit like us suggesting the solution being border checks on everything leaving/entering Eire ports.
    There would be no need for any kind of border in Ireland then, maybe we should have suggested it.

13. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

Just read this report on the latest Irish plans in the event of a no deal, interesting comments from Sammy Wilson of the DUP, I know he is quite a die hard DUP member but it's interesting what he points out, for all of the fuss the Irish politicians and the Buffoons in Brussels are making about the possible Irish border and the infrastruture possibillites, not a word in their plans, it's all a hoax and I hope the British wake up and call their bluff.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-47329084

'The Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) MP Sammy Wilson said that the absence of a plan for customs checkpoints at the Irish border - "the sort of border infrastructure that some in Dublin and Brussels have been having nightmares about" - was proof that there was "no need for the type of borders we knew" during the Northern Ireland Troubles.

"No-one is building a so-called hard border or going back to checkpoints with soldiers," added the East Antrim politician.

"Such talk was rhetoric designed to ferment fear in genuine communities along both sides of the border." '

14. AshtonRed

Following your logic Rob, if it’s impossible to arrange a border In Ireland we may as well just leave without a deal as we will have access to the EU single market via Eire without the need for tariffs , job done !

Red Robin likes this.
  15. BCFCRob

Yeah, illegal access, and also free access for 500,000,000 Europeans to illegally enter our country too....

A. Solution. Does. Not. Exist.

I don't care if it takes 2 sides to agree a way forward. You cannot have an OPEN border, and still check the people and goods crossing that border. It isn't even complicated, or something that just needs working out. It is plain obvious. The GFA had all sorts of possible solutions. They were just difficult to get to for political reasons. This has no possible solutions, unless you stay in the customs union and accept freedom of movement. Which you guys don't want.

And you wonder why people call it the unicorn Brexit. I'm really sorry to be rude, it's cool to disagree, there are good reasons to leave, but that post is just plain idiocy now.

I'm not saying it's the UK's fault or the EU's fault. I'm not fussed about who's to blame or who's playing dirty. It's just plain impossible to do, and no amount of belief is going to change that.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2019
  16. RedorDead

I agree Rob, we had tolls on the Severn bridge but those English bastards still got through.

Word is we’re putting them back up for one day tomorrow

wizered likes this.
  17. BCFCRob

I’ve no doubt they will find another excuse to get those tolls up again before long!

18. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

As usual, we pay and those Welsth twats keep all of the money,nothing changes.

19. RedorDead

Strange as it sounds, I don’t like it. The traffic over here is at break point and no sign of any relief roads or even where they could go. And to impact it more there are going to be more houses being built and one of the sites is huge.

I was picking something up from the Dr’s yesterday and overheard the receptionist booking someone in for bloods with a 3 week waiting list. Her words were that there is not enough Dr’s for the growing population of the town. (Before anyone says, that’s why we want to close our borders, it’s the Bristolians moving over not immigrants)

People say our house prices have gone up and it’s true in the past 12 months 40-50k but it’s all irrelevant as I won’t move from Chepstow so any house I move to has also gone up that much.

I don’t see them going up again, but I do see the old bridge being restricted first to lorries and then car’s as that’s the one that needs financing for repairs. The other one will only be relaying like any other motorway, so maintenance cost on that one is minimal.

BCFCRob likes this.
  20. RedorDead

Wales didn’t have the money, that’s why the welsh government wanted them removed.
    It was the French